General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Does the Digne one even need to be an offence?

We've got all these **** rules about silhouettes but I can't say it's helping actually clamp down on ones which are deliberate, which is what the offence is supposed to be. You could just call all accidental handball an IFK, but I don't see what's gained from it

for me no it should not be a penalty but it seems thats the rules somebody wants going forward

Not sure what the answer is, but the reward of a penalty is almost always massively disproportionate to the (alleged) offence.

On offsides, it makes sense to not raise the flag if in doubt - the Cameroon goal today is testament to that. However, the lineman still has to be flagging soon after if they think it’s offside.

We’re seeing corners etc. that shouldn’t be just because the lineman has given the benefit of the doubt for a chance, and then it’s not being corrected when the ball goes out of play.

• Like 2

Yeah I’ve said it before penalties should only be for clear denial of goal scoring opportunities.  Too many games are ruined by a routine foul leading to a team being award a 90% chance of a goal.

Its also the easiest way for officials to favour certain clubs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah I’ve said it before penalties should only be for clear denial of goal scoring opportunities.  Too many games are ruined by a routine foul leading to a team being award a 90% chance of a goal.

Its also the easiest way for officials to favour certain clubs.

The reward is potentially a win on its own. One toe against a calf, striker goes down like he’s been snipered and they win the game, league, cup etc.

It needs to be rebalanced. A penalty for things in the box is too severe, unless as @Wainy316 says it’s a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Answered this on officiating

22 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If the referee handles the game properly, "cheating" always has a cost anyway, so you could argue it's all within the confines of the rules.

I see this as a Judge Blackstone quandary:

... better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.

Not suggesting  this makes sense but ...

Edited by fruitvilla

9 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Answered this on officiating

I see this as a Judge Blackstone quandary:

... better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.

Not suggesting  this makes sense but ...

I think in football it is easier (with VAR etc) to do it properly. It’s not quite the same as a murder trial with a death penalty where you are relying on eye witness testimony, although I take your point, if the ref isn’t sure he should err on the side of not cautioning.

• 2 weeks later...

he got sent off in a youth game I believe is the story & went to talk to the ref who had & was told if he should try it himself. Clearly a good advert for ex-players to get involved in actually reffing and not just complaining about the calls.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

he got sent off in a youth game I believe is the story & went to talk to the ref who had & was told if he should try it himself. Clearly a good advert for ex-players to get involved in actually reffing and not just complaining about the calls.

I thought he was dreadful. Di Maria tripped himself up and got a penalty and gave most 50/50s to Argentina

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

I thought he was dreadful. Di Maria tripped himself up and got a penalty and gave most 50/50s to Argentina

fair enough. I thought he was outstanding, getting all of the major calls correct and not giving "soft" fouls

So apparently at least 2 Argentinian subs had already ran onto the pitch before the Messi OT goal crossed the line and therefore the goal should have been ruled out according to the rules.

Glad they didn't because I'm fed up with VAR desperately trying to find reasons to rule out goals. Then again wasn't the point with VAR that it would fix stuff like this that the ref missed.

7 hours ago, sne said:

So apparently at least 2 Argentinian subs had already ran onto the pitch before the Messi OT goal crossed the line and therefore the goal should have been ruled out according to the rules.

Glad they didn't because I'm fed up with VAR desperately trying to find reasons to rule out goals. Then again wasn't the point with VAR that it would fix stuff like this that the ref missed.

I've seen fan footage that showed the French bench on the pitch when Emi made the save in the dying moments of ET also.

On 18/12/2022 at 23:05, Zatman said:

I mean this is just obviously not true is it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we've just conceded from a corner which should never have been given in the first place because it came from an offside chance.

And once again, it comes down to VAR, because the linesmen have effectively outsourced their jobs to it.

• Like 2

Do you know what I find annoying and it ain't these rules for once.

Ollie today ran through on goal, finished it, and then was flagged offside and there was another when a play unfolded and the referee put up his flag after the passage of play.

" why didn't u put up the flag in the first place you **** idiot."

So you would rather Ollie be potentially onside but have the lino flag straight away killing the attack immediately?

What is the logic?!

• Like 1

Â