General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

The refs are generally rubbish. Managers moaning about refs to the point that it has an influence on them getting sacked is rubbish.

What’s more rubbish is that it actually worked in Arsenal’s favour. There was no way a VAR call (or other major decision) was going against them today. There would’ve been hell to pay. 

It’s not something I’d like to see a Villa manager doing but after all the times we’ve been screwed by VAR, it’s pretty sad that it might help to create a slightly more level playing field if they did. Officials are scared of Arteta’s wrath.

Obviously, the powers that be could grow a pair and clamp down on the likes of Arteta and players screaming in refs faces constantly but I can’t see that happening any time soon, unfortunately. 

Edited by JB

17 hours ago, JB said:

Officials are scared of Arteta’s wrath.

No idea why, he's as intimidating as a rice pudding, the plasticfaced word removed.

18 hours ago, blandy said:

Perhaps getting rid of crap officials is part of the overhaul?

In the interests of consistency, we should probably sack the one from yesterday too then?

The offside rule is becoming very problematic - the nonsense of linesmen waiting ages before putting up a flag, the weirdness they make up about phases to cover arses and especially the completely random nature of the application of the rule by VAR is causing the referees a real problem. I think it needs looking at, for the benefit of referees, for the appearance of integrity in the game and for players and supporters - at the moment, you could toss a coin.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In the interests of consistency, we should probably sack the one from yesterday too then?

The offside rule is becoming very problematic - the nonsense of linesmen waiting ages before putting up a flag, the weirdness they make up about phases to cover arses and especially the completely random nature of the application of the rule by VAR is causing the referees a real problem. I think it needs looking at, for the benefit of referees, for the appearance of integrity in the game and for players and supporters - at the moment, you could toss a coin.

It was a bit of a flippant comment, based around not thinking Lee Mason is a very good ref, also around the desire of fans to want to either sack every official who makes a mistake, or to see a conspiracy in everything that goes against their side...

..but, the serious part is that if Howard Webb, who has just started in his new job, manages to improve the pretty low standard of officiating, and in particular VAR refereeing, including by a mix of dropping refs from games, even getting rid of some of them for repeated error strewn performances then I'd be pleased.

The one yesterday, yep, in other games we've seen goals disallowed because of offside attackers in the keeper's line of vision and that one yesterday ought to have also been chalked off.

The waiting ages to put up a flag is (IMO) something that's 50:50, but perhaps it's slightly the least bad option. It's always been "play to the whistle" anyway. As long as the flag goes up ( Right or wrong) when play stops, then that's OK.. There isn't a perfect option. Doing it, or not doing it have their pros and cons.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It’s obviously a ridiculous booking, but I could see the ref thinking that Antonio has won the ball but is studs up and catches Kane on the follow through.

Of course, the reality is that Kane has sold it. 

If only we had a video review system to tell him that he didn't...

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

For a yellow card? Shall we review every decision ever made on a football pitch?

If they had a system that worked and employed the correct people to operate it then probably yes...

A fully competent VAR team could tell him he was wrong before that card comes out

But they'll happily waste 5 mins checking armpits are onside instead

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

If they had a system that worked and employed the correct people to operate it then probably yes...

A fully competent VAR team could tell him he was wrong before that card comes out

But they'll happily waste 5 mins checking armpits are onside instead

In which case you basically sack off having a referee on the pitch making decisions and just have VAR doing every thing.

Not saying I'm necessarily against this, but that's the level you'd be heading to.

Just watched Dermot Gallagher trying to justify why the 3rd Arsenal goal was allowed to stand at the weekend. Apparently it's subjective and sometimes you get those calls and sometimes you don't.

They showed the clip from behind the goal and the 2 Arsenal players are straight in front of Martinez.

Still have no idea why that wasn't given and the more I look at it the more pissed off I get.

• Like 2

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Just watched Dermot Gallagher trying to justify why the 3rd Arsenal goal was allowed to stand at the weekend. Apparently it's subjective and sometimes you get those calls and sometimes you don't.

They showed the clip from behind the goal and the 2 Arsenal players are straight in front of Martinez.

Still have no idea why that wasn't given and the more I look at it the more pissed off I get.

Did they show mcginn goal vs them that was chalked off 2 years back?

20 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Its either a corrupt system or a gutless system

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In which case you basically sack off having a referee on the pitch making decisions and just have VAR doing every thing.

Not saying I'm necessarily against this, but that's the level you'd be heading to.

I wouldn't mind an NFL style system, not with the challenges but with the idea that the play is reviewable as long as the ball is dead

If Harry Kane wants to roll round for 2 minutes followed by spurs taking another 2 minutes to line up the free kick then for me that 4 minutes is the window for VAR to intervene

And it can do it for corners, throw ins, goal kicks whatever

Martinez wants to take a minute to take a goal kick following a contested ball then VAR has that minute to check if it is actually a goal kick or a corner

The VAR team has to get quicker and better, should result in less time wasting, more smaller deicisons being got right... But at the same time they have to stop this nonsense where the game comes to a complete standstill while "VAR check" comes up on thr big screen, to my knowledge the PL is the only league that does that for every VAR decision 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Did they show mcginn goal vs them that was chalked off 2 years back?

They did. Gallagher just said that the ref on the day decided that the player was in the way of the keeper when McGinn shot.

Subjective is just a term used to say "it depends what kit the team that scores the goal is wearing".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

They did. Gallagher just said that the ref on the day decided that the player was in the way of the keeper when McGinn shot.

Subjective is just a term used to say "it depends what kit the team that scores the goal is wearing".

Exactly -- it's not about what actually happened, but about what the ref on the day decided happened.

• Like 1

Â