General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Offsides are not being given because of linos flagging which is leading to goals that can’t be checked by VAR

This is definitely an issue. Lots of these situations, unsurprisingly, result in corners that should never have been.

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, a-k said:

Not for me, but a lot of clamouring that this should have been a red for Haaland

When it first happened I thought red. Seeing it back I’m on the fence. So I guess that being the case, I’d have sent him off and it wouldn’t have been overturned. And in the circumstance it wasn’t a red and wasn’t overturned. And I guess that’s the way it should be (clear and obvious errors and all that). 

edit: looking back it’s kind of mad it wasn’t given as a red but I can see why it wasn’t overturned. He had no control and fully launched in with his foot a foot above the ground. Not given and then I guess it wasn’t “clear and obvious”?

Edited by Spoony

It looks a lot worse than it is I think

The no control thing, he's not trying to tackle he's trying to block and it's the follow through that's caught him so do you remove that element or say its irrelevant 

If he was trying to tackle like that then it's an all day red card

Seen them given though, maybe even for us or against us but I can't remember when

On 26/12/2022 at 18:23, Mantis said:

So we've just conceded from a corner which should never have been given in the first place because it came from an offside chance.

And once again, it comes down to VAR, because the linesmen have effectively outsourced their jobs to it.

This is one of my major issues with the whole system, it’s just too open to manipulation which in turn is making results more open to manipulation.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It looks a lot worse than it is I think

The no control thing, he's not trying to tackle he's trying to block and it's the follow through that's caught him so do you remove that element or say its irrelevant 

If he was trying to tackle like that then it's an all day red card

Seen them given though, maybe even for us or against us but I can't remember when

The problem is if it was the other way around it probably is given. If thats Maupay on Dias its a red

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

German ref has some interesting rule ideas and some I do agree with

All seem sensible to me and attempt to fix the shitty gamesmanship that spoil it for fans. 

I think a tactical foul in midfield should have an 'orange card' sin bin consequence, however. 

FIFA don't care about the same things though so none of these will be addressed.

• Like 2

Yeah theyll never achieve consistency with what they deem to be a tactical foul

There's times where you'll see a foul in the middle of the park where they're not even trying to play the ball they just take the man and there's a case for that definitely but it will be abused

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah theyll never achieve consistency with what they deem to be a tactical foul

There's times where you'll see a foul in the middle of the park where they're not even trying to play the ball they just take the man and there's a case for that definitely but it will be abused

Curious as to how you think it'd be abused?  I've long wanted to see red cards given for tactical fouls.  There's just no interest in playing the ball at all; the sole purpose is to take out the man.  Lenglet (I think?) got booked for Spurs fouling Bailey - just as a long ball was being played over the top and Lenglet realised he's not getting the ball ahead of Bailey, he just takes him out off the ball.  A yellow is far too lenient.  You get the same punishment for taking your shirt off while celebrating (which is another ridiculous rule).

They still need to sort out handball, though.  The inconsistency in handball decisions is utterly maddening.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Curious as to how you think it'd be abused?  I've long wanted to see red cards given for tactical fouls.  There's just no interest in playing the ball at all; the sole purpose is to take out the man.  Lenglet (I think?) got booked for Spurs fouling Bailey - just as a long ball was being played over the top and Lenglet realised he's not getting the ball ahead of Bailey, he just takes him out off the ball.  A yellow is far too lenient.  You get the same punishment for taking your shirt off while celebrating (which is another ridiculous rule).

They still need to sort out handball, though.  The inconsistency in handball decisions is utterly maddening.

You think that we would end up with a fair system? Or that diving wouldn't get worse if that was the advantage?

There's something there that can be done because you do see some shockingly cynical tackles in the middle but at the moment it's meant to be a yellow and they don't even do that consistently

Rodri would be getting 5 yellow cards a game of they did

Edited by villa4europe

Just on handball consistency...

We surely must have seen every type of incident that generates contact between ball and hand. 

Surely whatever that list is can then be put into two categories of 'given' and 'not-given'.

I refuse to believe there's a way of getting a handball that hasn't been seen yet...so it should be easy to categorise them, right. 

Never mind the caption because the call was "right" based on the law, but how on Earth is the defender meant to know Salah is offside there and he should just let it drop to him, especially when linesmen no longer put their flags up right away? Absolute bollocks rule

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a-k said:

Never mind the caption because the call was "right" based on the law, but how on Earth is the defender meant to know Salah is offside there and he should just let it drop to him, especially when linesmen no longer put their flags up right away? Absolute bollocks rule

Defender only attempts to head the ball because Salah is where he is, in an offside position! Absolute joke of a rule

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, a-k said:

It's nonsense, historically that had always been flagged, the 'intentionally played the ball' was to cover when defenders did a blind/mishit backpass when clearly in control of the ball

Then we had that goal City scored against us after the player came back from offside and tackled Mings a millisecond after he'd touched the ball, and instead of admitting the officials got it wrong that day they doubled down and changed their interpretation

Defenders are now severely disadvantaged in situations like we saw tonight, all because PGMOL were too cowardly to admit they messed up in a game

• Like 3

There’s no offside there, the lino had flagged for some reason and apparently they didn’t have VAR angles to reverse it. 

an absolute farce that benefits the top teams 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â