General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

On the Rashford incident. You can be in possession of the ball without touching it. The touch thing is irrelevant.

Also, having watched it back a few times, Rashford *clearly* affects Akanji’s run, even if he isn’t physically obstructing him. If Rashford wasn’t there, Akanji would have sprinted to the ball and collected it, no bother. It’s just a **** nonsense decision.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Also, having watched it back a few times, Rashford *clearly* affects Akanji’s run, even if he isn’t physically obstructing him. If Rashford wasn’t there, Akanji would have sprinted to the ball and collected it, no bother. It’s just a **** nonsense decision.

Yeah agree, Akanji backed off knowing he was offside. Also if the ball was rolling without Rashford being on it, Akani would have been on it. That's another reason it was Rashford interfering with play, if he didn't touch it, he was certainly covering the ball from anyone else taking it. 

An example is if your standing in a offside position covering the ball holding a opposition player off so your team mate can strike the ball, your offside whether you touched the ball or not. This was as good as what Rashford did.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Farce of a rule. He clearly slipped and kicked himself, he's not intentionally trying to touch it twice. Nor do they consider Newcastle encrouching in the box.

Nothing wrong with this. You can’t kick the ball twice on a penalty. He did. Right decision

Especially as the second touch has significantly helped him score here

• Like 4

18 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I’ll say it again, let’s just go back to offside is offside, for anybody who’s on the pitch. 

Even lying on the floor at the touch line is still interfering in some way because the defenders are looking over their shoulder or thinking when is this guy gonna get up and suddenly be inside behind my back.

I think this might be required, but it's a tragic indictment of the officials we have that we basically just have to concede that they're almost certainly not worth of being trusted with some discretion to apply common sense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d have so much more respect for the refs if their chief came out and said a mistake was made, apologises and promises to investigate what went wrong to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Instead I assume they put fingers in their ears and wait for it to blow over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think this might be required, but it's a tragic indictment of the officials we have that we basically just have to concede that they're almost certainly not worth of being trusted with some discretion to apply common sense

It needs to change, as another example, is a player in a offside position in the box when a goal is scored. Even though he may not have touched the ball, or even be in the way of the keeper, other players have to mark him and/or watch him, he cannot be ignored, so the rule that a player can be in a offside position but not be seen as interfering with play cannot be deemed valid.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It needs to change, as another example, is a player in a offside position in the box when a goal is scored. Even though he may not have touched the ball, or even be in the way of the keeper, other players have to mark him and/or watch him, he cannot be ignored, so the rule that a player can be in a offside position but not be seen as interfering with play cannot be deemed valid.

9 times out of 10 you're right, I think the rule originally started being tinkered with because of the edge cases like a player being offside but way over on the other side of the pitch, absolutely nowhere near the ball and not distracting someone, occasionally even down injured and not even trying to get involved. There's a danger we just veer back and forth from one extreme to the other without learning from it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

A case in point would be Ings for Beundia's last goal against Leeds/

Which I’m not sure should ever be offside. 

I don’t recall this being a problem before the incompetent refs started making a mess out of everything. 

6 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Which I’m not sure should ever be offside. 

I don’t recall this being a problem before the incompetent refs started making a mess out of everything. 

I don't think it is a problem either. (As the rules are currently interpreted). But if we move to being in an offside position under any circumstance? 

8 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I don't think it is a problem either. (As the rules are currently interpreted). But if we move to being in an offside position under any circumstance? 

Yeah, that’s why I don’t think changing it is a good idea, is what I meant. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

HaqL7t9.md.jpg

Unbiased opinions:

Ferdinand said: "Rashford doesn't impact any of the defenders running strides, patterns or positions. It is intelligent from him and Fernandes. I don't feel any of the defenders can influence any of it."

Scholes said: "He's interfering with nobody. It is good communication and a great finish."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Obvious reply to Rio is “what did Rashford do what was intelligent?”

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ederson 100% clears that ball comfortably if Rashford isn't there

Yep, or the defender hoofs it out to the right as we look at it. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Obvious reply to Rio is “what did Rashford do what was intelligent?”

The only intelligent thing he did was leave the ball to Bruno to shoot because he was in a better position.

As I said before, I don't think Rashford considered he was offside for one second. And if he did then it makes the "he's not interfering" argument even more farcical. If he knew he was offside then why would he bother chasing the ball anyway? There must be a reason, and if there is then it's interfering with play

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only intelligent thing he did was leave the ball to Bruno to shoot because he was in a better position.

As I said before, I don't think Rashford considered he was offside for one second. And if he did then it makes the "he's not interfering" argument even more farcical. If he knew he was offside then why would he bother chasing the ball anyway? There must be a reason, and if there is then it's interfering with play

Yes. If Rio was asked has Rashford did which was intelligent it would have confirmed he did some positive to help the end result of a goal. Whether it was shielding the ball, causing confusion etc it’s interfering with the play.

• Like 1

Â