General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

This surely reflects poorly on the state of Egyptian football. Reads to me like a strongman owner wants to blame others for his own club's poor form. But why is this story so particularly interesting? I feel it's because it kind of shows you a disgraceful, transparent version of the same tendency to attack officials all over the world:

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has resigned from his position as president of the Egyptian Referees Committee after only five months in charge.

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) confirmed on Wednesday it had agreed that the 47-year-old could leave the role.

"The board of directors of the Egyptian Football Association decided, in its emergency meeting today, Wednesday, to accept the resignation of Mr Mark Clattenburg," the EFA tweeted.

It added that the EFA would be seeking to "preserve the rights of the federation and the consequences of his resignation in accordance with the terms of the concluded contract".

Clattenburg was this week the subject of criticism from the president of the Zamalek club, Mortada Mansour, on Zamalek's own TV channel.

Just saw that villa have been fined for their reaction to the disallowed goal against Southampton. Which is funking ridiculous.

The ref got it wrong, var confirmed it was wrong, but villa get fined.

What a joke.

One thing I think they should bring in is automatic goals (instead of a penalty) where a player has handballed on the line (Suarez v Ghana type situation). It's unfair if the ball is clearly going in to give the defending team another bite at saving it. Just give an automatic goal.

• Like 1

Interesting, of sorts, to listen to Howard Webb pre-game last night, it seems he’s using a new tactic to deflect unwanted attention on refs.

He was quizzed about the Fernandes goal against City and said, more than once “the game has since told us it was the wrong decision”.

No Howard, it was the wrong decision at the time as you well know, don’t patronise us with what ‘the game’ thinks about it, just get the damn decisions right in the first place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. He made a mistake and I’m not sure that’s worth him completely losing his job. Binning refs is not the answer to our refereeing problem, the answer is protecting referees in lower leagues, tightening the rules on dissent to allow better referees to come through and making the rules less fecking confusing. I don’t rate Lee Mason as a ref and if this is as a result of persistent errors and/or misunderstanding his role as a VAR then fair enough. Some clarity would be nice and perhaps a statement on what they plan to do about improving officiating. 

On 04/02/2023 at 22:52, gwi1890 said:

Clamping down on time wasting, yet the amount of minutes wasted in not raising the offside flag and let play run when it’s a blatant off side is probably wasting 10 minutes per game.

I never thought about this before but you are right. I’m pro the delayed flag raise though. It isn’t always so blatantly obvious when you’re down there and there can be a player or an event you just didn’t notice. It should be easy enough to figure out how much time was taken and claw it back, but is it ever really much more than 10-20 seconds?

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Well there you have it. The reason refs favour the big teams. When they **** up at the expense of a big team, THEY GET SACKED!

How many mistakes has VAR made that have been at the expense of the lesser teams? Did anyone lose their jobs as a result? Did they ****? But top of the table Arsenal get a goal given against them that should have been ruled out, and all of a sudden the guillotine falls.

Villa have literally had rules changed after mistakes were made in their interpretation, and no one has been sacked. It's a good guide for all future decisions for refs. Remember Lee Mason, keep the big teams happy, keep your job.

It's so corrupt.

• Like 4

More to it than that I'd guess

Wasnt he originally dropped for 2 games? Which with then games and performance being linked directly to fees and bonuses means he's been hit in the pocket, would it be that surprising if he's stormed in to PGMOL HQ and put a round of **** in to them? With the impending handover from Riley to Webb is it possible he called one of them out and this is the result, he could have called out VAR, several arguments could have happened, I don't think it's solely down to him making a mistake

The first reaction is that PGMOL have made an example of him based on his mistake, completely possible that instead they've made an example of him due to his reaction behind the scenes

Didn't know until recently that PGMOL and HMRC went to court over whether or not refs should be classed as self employed and PGMOL won meaning that they are, would like a decent journalist to write a piece on what that means if anything and if that is something that should change

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't influence play... Just like Barkley vs them a few years back then...

And that's the biggest issue with it, they can bend the rules to suit whatever **** up they make

Emi is unsighted because of them but I honestly don’t understand the rules. Watch the media silence though because it helps the title race stay alive 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Emi is unsighted because of them but I honestly don’t understand the rules. Watch the media silence though because it helps the title race stay alive 

I don't think Emi was ever getting there anyway

But then neither was Leno

The thing for me is however the rule is written how can you be 6 yards out in the middle of the goal and not impacting the goalkeeper? It's impossible, it's another rule written by and enforced by refs who seemingly have zero common sense or understanding of football

They wouldn't be allowed to score from the rebound (and are blocking the sight of the goalie) but somehow they are not offside enough. Sure why not.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I don't think Emi was ever getting there anyway

But then neither was Leno

The thing for me is however the rule is written how can you be 6 yards out in the middle of the goal and not impacting the goalkeeper? It's impossible, it's another rule written by and enforced by refs who seemingly have zero common sense or understanding of football

I agree. It’s obvious that the keeper would be blocked off. The very fact that the officials don’t use common sense but hide behind the rules when it suits. 

Â