General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

So, the Mendy 'injury' after the supposed free kick by Bowen...how do we stop this sort of blatant cheating by feigning and play acting?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be as straight forward as retrospective action as you could never be 100% on the extent of the injury.

Could there be a roll-on-roll-off type situation where a player (who has the physio come on) has to go off for x mins whilst a 'free' sub takes their place until time has elapsed and they can re-enter the game? Would that deter it?

Of course, the most obvious way would be to not buy the shit that they are trying to sell in the first place, but the refs seem to want to lap it up. 

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

is it me or does there seem to be a really low bar for what a manager/coach gets sent off for? leeds' manager got a red for just bit of dissent

Only if you're a manager of one of the 14 pleb teams in the PL. 

Managers of the top six can scream in the face of officials as much as they like

klopp.png

• Like 1

How has VVD not been red carded, and how can they say on MOTD that a yellow was the correct decision. That was a studs into the shin tackle. Those are red cards every day of the week. Why didn’t VAR say to the referee to review that for a possible red?

I know why it’s not a red card, it is because he plays for one of the SL6 teams and the rules are applied differently when those teams are involved.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, May-Z said:

So, the Mendy 'injury' after the supposed free kick by Bowen...how do we stop this sort of blatant cheating by feigning and play acting?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be as straight forward as retrospective action as you could never be 100% on the extent of the injury.

Could there be a roll-on-roll-off type situation where a player (who has the physio come on) has to go off for x mins whilst a 'free' sub takes their place until time has elapsed and they can re-enter the game? Would that deter it?

Of course, the most obvious way would be to not buy the shit that they are trying to sell in the first place, but the refs seem to want to lap it up. 

VAR is supposed to stop it by not giving the foul that they are trying to win

the problem is that at best the refs in this league are useless, at worst they are corrupt

Mendy was not a foul, Newcastle was not a foul, VVD was a a defo red, studs up, an the linesman flagged too early for us causing a poor ref to blow the whistle on us.

Coincidently for me that's more than proof its not actual VAR it's the numplties running it.

9 screens in that VAR room and they can't get it right, shocking really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62787324

I read this article with increasing incredulity that they didn't mention the Coutinho incident.

The Premier League is to review the controversial VAR decisions at Chelsea and Newcastle yesterday with referees' body PGMOL as a matter of priority.

The move comes after decisions that denied Newcastle United and West Ham goals against Crystal Palace and Chelsea, respectively.

Both teams thought they had scored, with the goals confirmed by the on-pitch referee.

In each instance, the goals were disallowed after VAR.

Both decisions have been heavily criticised, with many arguing that the role of VAR is not to get involved to reverse debatable calls that have already been made.

West Ham were denied a 90th-minute equaliser when Maxwel Cornet's effort was ruled out after Jarrod Bowen was judged to have fouled Edouard Mendy in the build-up - a decision David Moyes called "scandalous".

Elsewhere, Newcastle saw what manager Eddie Howe called a "perfectly good goal" chalked off against Palace.

Palace defender Tyrick Mitchell turned the ball into his own net and referee Michael Salisbury ruled it out for a foul by Joe Willock on goalkeeper Vicente Guaita, though Newcastle felt the midfielder was himself pushed by Mitchell.

BBC Sport pundit Alan Shearer said: "It is shocking, abysmal, disgraceful - Willock is going to head that ball, so Mitchell shoves him. Michael Salisbury gets it right, it is Lee Mason [VAR official] who somehow bizarrely tells him 'you have made a howler'.

"Lee Mason is the one to blame because it is an inexperienced referee. At this level you have got to get that decision right, he has had no help from VAR. Far too many errors, VAR is not the problem, it is the people who are running it."

World Cup referee Michael Oliver ignored the advice of VAR in a game between Nottingham Forest and Bournemouth at the City Ground, despite being asked to review a penalty decision on the pitchside monitor.

Instead, Oliver opted to stick with his initial call and award Forest the spot-kick for handball.

Elsewhere, Leeds boss Jesse Marsch was sent off for his reaction to two penalty decisions that did not go his side's way in a defeat by Brentford.

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62787324

I read this article with increasing incredulity that they didn't mention the Coutinho incident.

But that wasn't a Var decision, just pure incompetent officiating by both ref and lino. 

Sadly the goal would never be given as the red blew his whistle, stopping several city players including the keeper. 

What should've happened was allowing play to go on and requesting a review of we'd scored.

I'm more pissed off about the Cash handball decision against palace. Several similar incidents deemed ok by VAR but we get punished with a penalty! 

• Like 4

Garth Crooks (yes I know) has pretty much said some of these tackles recently are why people like football and has had a go at Lampard and Neves for snitching after games about bad tackles 😂😂

Actually this might have been a satire piece on the BBC

On 03/09/2022 at 23:05, May-Z said:

Wouldn't help this scenario, but I have championed for years just letting the physio come on and treat players who are injured while the game goes on around them. it happens in other sports.

The ref would still have the power to stop the game if it's serious, or if it's to a goalkeeper which is obviously a little different.

But players would soon stop rolling around feigning injury if they put their team at a disadvantage by doing it.

Yeah sometimes a player would be genuinely injured and their team would be at a disadvantage. Tough shit. It happens

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theboyangel said:

But that wasn't a Var decision, just pure incompetent officiating by both ref and lino. 

It wasn't a VAR decision directly, but it was a problem with the ref failing to implement the proper process in regards to VAR, preventing their involvement, so it ought to be considered as part of reviewing the latest weekend of calamitous refereeing, IMO.

By trying to frame the problems as "VAR decisions", it feels like they're trying to handwave away the problem actually being that our elite referees are shit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It wasn't a VAR decision directly, but it was a problem with the ref failing to implement the proper process in regards to VAR, preventing their involvement, so it ought to be considered as part of reviewing the latest weekend of calamitous refereeing, IMO.

By trying to frame the problems as "VAR decisions", it feels like they're trying to handwave away the problem actually being that our elite referees are shit.

It reminds me of grealish vs Palace and kevin friend, couldn't wait to blow his whistle and the VAR can't do anything about it, friend was worse though, that was 100% pre determined and bias

The annoying thing about coutinho was that we all know they're under instruction to let play continue, to let VAR sort it after and the lino didn't, he flagged straight away

Out of interest for me is did he flag immediately when Ollie played the ball or when JJ didn't touch it? How outrageous it is differs depending on that, if it was when Ollie played the ball then yep we deserve an apology too because that's **** dreadful 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The annoying thing about coutinho was that we all know they're under instruction to let play continue, to let VAR sort it after and the lino didn't, he flagged straight away

This is the key bit.

People always moan about the linesmen taking ages to flag these days. But this is EXACTLY why they have to do that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62792367

Not enough talented referees are coming through the system because too many are suffering abuse, according to the head of the Referees' Association (RA).

and this is the single biggest problem and root cause than no one seems to talk about or do anything about…it’s this and hardly any other factors. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Out of interest for me is did he flag immediately when Ollie played the ball or when JJ didn't touch it? How outrageous it is differs depending on that, if it was when Ollie played the ball then yep we deserve an apology too because that's **** dreadful 

Looking back at the bite sized highlights on the OS, the lino flagged later than those two moments, he flagged when Coutinho had picked the ball up and jinked past the first player on the edge of the box.

Another Hawkeye failure

Huddersfield were denied an equaliser in their loss to Blackpool due to goal-line technology failing to operate, says the English Football League (EFL).

Yuta Nakayama's second-half 'goal' for the Terriers was controversially ruled not to have crossed the line.

The EFL says following an assessment by Hawk-Eye, who provide the technology, the ball was not being tracked in the build-up to Nakayama's effort.

Referees body PGMOL said officials were unsighted due to player obstruction.

The incident came during a weekend where officiating technology was called into question in the Premier League, with PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited) accepting controversial VAR decisions made at Chelsea and Newcastle were wrong.

In a statement, the EFL said the referee's decision at the time in the Huddersfield-Blackpool game was "final" and "the match result stands".

"During a second-half incident with Huddersfield attacking, the match officials did not receive a signal to their watch or earpiece as, due to multiple factors, the ball was no longer being tracked following it entering the Blackpool goal area," the statement explained.

"Whilst the system was tested and functional prior to the start of the game, further information is expected from both Hawk-Eye and PGMOL following a full review of the incident.

"Technology is there to support the decision-making processes of match officials in the Championship and it failing in such a manner on Sunday is a matter of great concern."

Huddersfield, who are one place off the bottom of the Championship with only one win from their first seven games, said on Monday the incident was a "clear failure" of the technology system in operation.

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Looking back at the bite sized highlights on the OS, the lino flagged later than those two moments, he flagged when Coutinho had picked the ball up and jinked past the first player on the edge of the box.

so then he's flagged because he thinks JJ has taken a touch

there is at least a logic to the decision with our one, the lino saw something which made coutinho offside and raised his flag, the ref blew the whistle so play was dead, the error is in not letting play develop and letting VAR do its job

newcastle i honestly dont know, i think its a goal but i dont think thats a shocker, its harsh but again i can at least understand why the ref did what he did, surprised they got an apology

the chelsea one isn't comparable IMO, the error there is a lack of basic understanding as to how football is played and outright cheating

• Like 1

Â