General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

• 2 weeks later...

The utd goal shows just how broken the offside rule now is

I get the 2 phase stuff and active and inactive but how is the utd attacker deemed inactive in phase 1?

Our defensive shape and more importantly the depth of our line is because of an offside player, us pushing out is because of an offside player

Not saying Villa have been done by the ref because that is the rule but like the cash handball a few weeks back the rule is **** stupid and wasn't written by someone who plays football

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Genuinely no idea how VAR can look at Martinez deliberately elbowing Bailey in the stomach TWICE and do nothing.

This is the point of VAR isn’t it? Stuff the onfield ref misses can be dealt with.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

Embarrassing yet again today. I thought there were at least 2 reds. 

It didn’t matter today but it’s one of the reasons we’ve waited 27yrs for today. 

Disgrace. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The utd goal shows just how broken the offside rule now is

I get the 2 phase stuff and active and inactive but how is the utd attacker deemed inactive in phase 1?

Our defensive shape and more importantly the depth of our line is because of an offside player, us pushing out is because of an offside player

Not saying Villa have been done by the ref because that is the rule but like the cash handball a few weeks back the rule is **** stupid and wasn't written by someone who plays football

Thats not what annoyed me because I am sure Eriksen deflected the ball from his hand to Shaw and no replays were shown

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This just sums up how inconsistent they are

the problem is that he wasn't reffing both games. He was in communication with the ref (Madley) in the Tottenham game & Madley probably was saying what he saw & England can't "overturn" what Madley saw

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This just sums up how inconsistent they are

I couldn't believe Spurs didn't get a penalty for that yesterday. I don't even know if it was referred to VAR.

One of the most blatant pushes in the back you'll ever see.

If that was any club outside the top 4-6 it would have been a penalty, no question

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I couldn't believe Spurs didn't get a penalty for that yesterday. I don't even know if it was referred to VAR.

If that was any club outside the top 4-6 it would have been a penalty, no question

Yeah i agree. I dislike spurs but nloody hell one of the most blatent pens you will see.

Your last paragraph- this really does sum it up doesnt it? Blatent corruption/shit officiating 

On 07/11/2022 at 15:39, Villaphan04 said:

the problem is that he wasn't reffing both games. He was in communication with the ref (Madley) in the Tottenham game & Madley probably was saying what he saw & England can't "overturn" what Madley saw

But if he, in the VAR box, saw it and thought it was a penalty, he can tell the referee that a foul has been committed and its a penalty. Or he can ask the ref to view the footage. The ref can't ignore VAR if they see something the ref has either mis-seen or missed completely.

In this case, England obviously didn't flag it as a foul to the ref, even though it was 99% the same as the foul he gave in a game before.

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But if he, in the VAR box, saw it and thought it was a penalty, he can tell the referee that a foul has been committed and its a penalty. Or he can ask the ref to view the footage. The ref can't ignore VAR if they see something the ref has either mis-seen or missed completely.

In this case, England obviously didn't flag it as a foul to the ref, even though it was 99% the same as the foul he gave in a game before.

My first instinct is that it should've been the same as the Spurs one. -- But being able to overturn the call on the pitch? Has to be a clear & obvious error (i think that is still the language used) and has to be in communication with the ref on the pitch, who I would think said that he didn't see it as a foul and it was contact from both players (this is my speculation). That's why I think it was not overturned. He also can't just tell the ref to overturn it, he has to send the ref to the monitor as it's not a clear yes/no decision like offside). 

-- all this to say that I think it's the wrong call and should've been a red & PK. 

Edited by Villaphan04

On 07/11/2022 at 15:44, Stevo985 said:

Not sure the whole top 4-6 stuff is true tbh. Look at Fulham getting (pretty much the same) at Man City. 

Quoting myself from the Spanish football thread, as I thought it might better be discussed here:

None as of yet at the Estadio de Vallecas tonight, but there have been 58 red cards shown so far in La Liga this season. Premier League? 11. 

Wow. 

Source: Sid Lowe. 

Â