Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Someone will need to do a study about why McGinn is so highly rated by everyone outside of Villa yet a large portion of the Villa fanbase don't rate him. 

He was by far the best player on Who Scored ratings at Villa last season. Showing his consistency. We've The Athletic showing how he was so fundamental in our ball progression and we were more reliant on McGinn for that than any other club was on any one of their players.

It's baffling. 

It’s because we were overall disappointing last season.. someone needs to be scapegoated. McGinn being a key player, is always in the scopes, so is Mings and our strikers.

Wrongly and correctly it’s the nature of Football. Rather than being a multitude of elements causing bad performances, it’s one thing. A player, a manager, a tactic, a mistake. When usually its all/sum of them simultaneously.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Someone will need to do a study about why McGinn is so highly rated by everyone outside of Villa yet a large portion of the Villa fanbase don't rate him. 

He was by far the best player on Who Scored ratings at Villa last season. Showing his consistency. We've The Athletic showing how he was so fundamental in our ball progression and we were more reliant on McGinn for that than any other club was on any one of their players.

It's baffling. 

I really think it's due to his usage from the managers. Seems to be undroppable no matter what and rarely if at all (i think only once) gets subbed off even if he is clearly knackered. It''s the issue with Sanson not getting playing time despite not clearly being out of his depth. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It’s because we were overall disappointing last season.. someone needs to be scapegoated. McGinn being a key player, is always in the scopes, so is Mings and our strikers.

Wrongly and correctly it’s the nature of Football. Rather than being a multitude of elements causing bad performances, it’s one thing. A player, a manager, a tactic, a mistake. When usually its all/sum of them simultaneously.  

Yeah you're right, it's often a number of things. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out some of McGinn's limitations and how he can sometimes hinder us in possession.

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah you're right, it's often a number of things. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out some of McGinn's limitations and how he can sometimes hinder us in possession.

No doubt he shouldn’t get a free pass. We fans need to be a little less singular and more broader when we are criticising a bad performance. Be it squad, player or manager

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's baffling. 

What's the opposite of absence makes the heart grow fonder?

That will be the result of this study.

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What's the opposite of absence makes the heart grow fonder?

That will be the result of this study.

“Familiarity breeds contempt”

For the other nerds: (The idea behind this expression dates from ancient times—the Roman writer Publilius Syrus used it about 43 b.c.—and approximately twelve hundred years later Pope Innocent III repeated it, also in Latin. The first record of it in English appeared in Nicholas Udall’s translation of Erasmus’s sayings (1548): “Familiaritye bringeth contempt.” Later writers often stated it with humor or irony, notably Mark Twain in his unpublished diaries (Notebooks, ca. 1900): “Familiarity breeds contempt—and children.”)

Edited by Adam2003
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/06/2022 at 11:55, turvontour said:

It feels like the players which we typically purchase from the french league dont tend to do too well, very rarely surpass expectations.

Because it’s a shit league! The player even said himself he was surprised by the intensity and fitness levels needed.  Then he kept getting injured.

I think players from France need to be signed early in the summer to get a whole pre season in England. 

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because it’s a shit league! The player even said himself he was surprised by the intensity and fitness levels needed.  Then he kept getting injured.

I think players from France need to be signed early in the summer to get a whole pre season in England. 

And yet France produces more top player than any other country barring possibly Brazil.

The league is "shit" because all the best players are sold.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sne said:

And yet France produces more top player than any other country barring possibly Brazil.

The league is "shit" because all the best players are sold.

Well yeh exactly that. Strong league doesn’t always translate to strong National team as we all know.

You buy a player from France based on his performances in France there’s always an element of risk as he could look better than he really is.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Has quite a starring role in our first day back at training video.

I assume not just because he's a handsome bloke. 

Looked very happy, and also did some nice skill in the training match clips.

I'd love to see what he can do given a run. Genuinely think we'd be in Veretout 2.0 territory if we let him leave.

• Like 2

On 01/07/2022 at 12:42, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well yeh exactly that. Strong league doesn’t always translate to strong National team as we all know.

You buy a player from France based on his performances in France there’s always an element of risk as he could look better than he really is.

There's an element of risk buying from any other league tbf. Whether it's due to difference in quality or style.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 19:25, CVByrne said:

It's baffling. 

He started being criticized around last season which honestly I think was understandable. I do think the criticism being ramped up so much this season is a less so due to his performances and more due to Smith no longer being around.

It's harder to criticize him playing every minute because you would be indirectly criticizing Smith's decision. Now, not only has he lost that defense, people have even started using him to criticize Gerrard's decisions. So he ends up being a pawn in that whole game. To a lesser extent, people desperate to want Sanson and our other midfield options(which have strengthened compared to previous seasons) to be given a start will also be more inclined to criticize Mcginn.

I definitely feel like the ebbs and flows in support and dislike that the players receive depends on the prevailing sentiment on the manager and other players.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He started being criticized around last season which honestly I think was understandable. I do think the criticism being ramped up so much this season is a less so due to his performances and more due to Smith no longer being around.

It's harder to criticize him playing every minute because you would be indirectly criticizing Smith's decision. Now, not only has he lost that defense, people have even started using him to criticize Gerrard's decisions. So he ends up being a pawn in that whole game. To a lesser extent, people desperate to want Sanson to be given a start will also be more inclined to criticize Mcginn.

I definitely feel like the ebbs and flows in support and dislike that the players receive depends on the prevailing sentiment on the manager and other players.

Yep

If Pochettino came in and played McGinn every minute he’d be a great player again. 

However Poch would never do that because he isn’t clueless like Smith and Gerrard.  

On 01/07/2022 at 12:02, Vive_La_Villa said:

We deliberately signed Sanson in January, and paid more money for him as a result, so that he would have time to adapt to English football. The problem is that he's not good enough and that's why he never made it here. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We deliberately signed Sanson in January, and paid more money for him as a result, so that he would have time to adapt to English football. The problem is that he's not good enough and that's why he never made it here. 

We paid less for him than we would have if we waited to the summer. Marseille needed the cash that window. Hence the price was too good to turn down. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We paid less for him than we would have if we waited to the summer. Marseille needed the cash that window. Hence the price was too good to turn down. 

I thought it was we wanted him the summer before but the price was too high?

Â