Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

9 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Everton fans claiming we should be made to play all our games in hand back to back because we are a disgrace for having played many games less than others.

Man City v Villa - Called off at Man City request to give more pre season time

Villa v Newcastle - Called off at Newcastle request after a covid outbreak at NUFC training ground.

Villa v Spurs/Everton - called off after an outbreak at Villa training ground. 

Shame these idiots don't educate themselves before spouting utter b******.

I saw a tweet where somebody commented on how it’s unfair that Derby had to play their game with kids but the game v Everton was postponed. Some people just don’t get it do they?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the issue tho, is if Man City goes ahead, we have 4 games between the 20th and 30th of Jan.........

4 games in 10 days is rough.

infact if you include the WHam game on the 2nd Feb, thats 5 games in 13 days.....

It's 4 games in 11 days. But anyway it's still rough, we're suddenly at a bit of a disadvantage. :<

• 3 months later...

Anyone clever enough to have worked out when this game is likely to happen?

I assume we'd get more notice than 1 week, so guess we're looking around the 19th May?

Edited by MrBlack

On 28/04/2021 at 10:25, MrBlack said:

Anyone clever enough to have worked out when this game is likely to happen?

I assume we'd get more notice than 1 week, so guess we're looking around the 19th May?

I'm sure when i looked the spurs game was on the Saturday, I'm sure. So did they move 2 games (spurs and palace) just to get his one in? TV scheduling has a lot to answer for.

On 02/05/2021 at 17:02, MrBlack said:

I'm sure when i looked the spurs game was on the Saturday, I'm sure. So did they move 2 games (spurs and palace) just to get his one in? TV scheduling has a lot to answer for.

Spurs game was moved beyond the 17th May (along with all the other penultimate games) so fans could be in stadiums. 

• Thanks 1

Actually really interested to what we do in the final third now.

The obvious thing is just to put in Davis but I wonder if miracle upon miracle Jack is fit and available whether we might have a false 9 front trio of him, AEG and Traore taking it in turns for central positions.

There isn't a huge amount of faith in Davis from the manager as we all know by now (even today Ramsey was put on before him) so I don't think it's certain he'll start, indeed if Wes had a few more minutes under his belt I think he'd be the more likely of the two to start.

In the long run don't think it's a bad thing we're missing Ollie as I get the feeling we'll be incredibly complacent again about getting in a striker this summer and if we struggle v opponents we dominated just a week ago then it would indicate we can't take it for granted Ollie will play every single minute of every game next season aswell.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Everton have the 2nd best away record in the Country.  Could be a tough game and without Watkins. 

We match up against them fine. 4 points last season and one of our best attacking performances (even with Grealish) all season just 8 days ago.

Ollie out will be a blow though so probably pushes it more towards a draw.

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We match up against them fine. 4 points last season and one of our best attacking performances (even with Grealish) all season just 8 days ago.

Ollie out will be a blow though so probably pushes it more towards a draw.

Yes I know but its just the disparity between their home and away record this season is remarkable. Title contenders away, relegation at home. 

They are going to be preparing themselves for either Davis or Wes. Preparing themselves for a physical battle. They showed last week that they hate a bit of pace and persistence up front. If we go with one of the obvious choices it will play to their strengths defensively. I know it’s a massive call but this could be perfect for young Barry. If Jack’s fit too then let’s throw him in the mix and have a right good go at them.

Barry or most of the other youngsters are highly unlikely to feature against Everton, as they will be playing the next day in the semi-final of the FA Youth Cup against West Brom, a very important game for our academy. The only one who might take part is Philogene-Bidace, as at nineteen he can't take part in Youth Cup because it's an U18 tournament.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

It's almost a bit free hitty with Ollie out. Not in the sense of throwing it, but we get to try a front 4 arrangement that we would like to see in action but couldn't justify under normal circumstances. I'm looking forward to it. This could go either way.

• Like 1