Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's almost a bit free hitty with Ollie out. Not in the sense of throwing it, but we get to try a front 4 arrangement that we would like to see in action but couldn't justify under normal circumstances. I'm looking forward to it. This could go either way.

I would love to see us with a front six of:

-------------------- Luiz ------------------

SJM ------------------------ Ramsey

-------- Barkley or Traore ---------

---------- Davis ---- Wes -------------

I think those two would be hard to handle for Holgate and Godfrey on the evidence of the last game - if they are still the CB pairing.  Is Keane back?  Cash and Targett would have two big lads to aim for.  Bertie (my preference, although Barkley was better against Everton the other week) could go either way.  SJM and Ramsey can help out more defending the wide positions than our wide players might typically.

.....................Martinez..................

Cash......Konsa..Mings......Targett

...................Nakamba..................

............McGinn..Luiz..................

Traore..........Davis..........El Ghazi

Martinez

Cash        Konsa            Mings        Targett

McGinn

Ramsey          Barkley

Traore                 Davis              Grealish

If we play like we did at their place and don't get f***** over by VAR/Ref then I will be more than happy.

I think they might nick it 1-2 because it will probably take Jack a few games to get firing (EURO's!!!). 

I'd like to see a couple of the younger lads get some game time (regardless of the score).

Big game for Davis (should he start) hope he takes his chance and bullies their backline. 

5 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

If we play like we did at their place and don't get f***** over by VAR/Ref then I will be more than happy.

I just saw the VAR official will be Graham Scott. Oh, God. The same VAR official who thinks Bruno Fernandes leaping into the Villa area and recreating that illegal kick on Daniel LaRusso in Karate Kid is a penalty against Konsa. My expectations for even the most basic levels of competence are now an evidence-based zero (if that).

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do wonder why we keep starting Barkley. Surely Ramsey is a better option? And we, erm, actually own him? 

Ramsey hasn’t done a lot in his limited game time either to be honest. Barkley didn’t have a great game against United but was pretty good against Albion and good against Everton. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M_Afro said:

They are going to be preparing themselves for either Davis or Wes. Preparing themselves for a physical battle. They showed last week that they hate a bit of pace and persistence up front. If we go with one of the obvious choices it will play to their strengths defensively. I know it’s a massive call but this could be perfect for young Barry. If Jack’s fit too then let’s throw him in the mix and have a right good go at them.

I agree. Keane and Mina started last game and were very happy with West Ham lumping long balls up to Antonio so that's a fair we'll just completely change tactic although I wouldn't say Davis is just someone who's static and heads the ball, he's shown in recent weeks he can drift out wide and get the odd cross for chances although bit too much to ask him to press like Ollie does I think.

Perhaps this is a game to see Traore as the false CF although we then basically run out of experienced wide players given we only really have him and AEG to play wide currently until Jack gets back, unless Ramsey is pushed a bit wider.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do wonder why we keep starting Barkley. Surely Ramsey is a better option? And we, erm, actually own him? 

Has Ramsey started since Sheffield United away? I think there's your answer although he's looked fine in recent sub games so I wouldn't be shocked if we put him in from the start on Thursday.

16 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Martinez

McGinn

Ramsey          Barkley

Traore                 Davis              Grealish

I think they might nick it 1-2 because it will probably take Jack a few games to get firing (EURO's!!!). 

I'd like to see a couple of the younger lads get some game time (regardless of the score).

Big game for Davis (should he start) hope he takes his chance and bullies their backline. 

McGinn is not a holding midfielder. If we insist on playing with one put Nakamba in who played quite well in his last few starts.

• Like 1

Others have suggested Traore up front. I don't think he can play there, he can't play with his back to goal and he doesn't make the kind of runs that strikers do. He's excellent at carrying the ball, that's his strength and it would be wasted if he was up top.

Selection will be interesting with no Watkins and the possible return of Jack.

I'd guess at:

----------------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------

Cash-------------Konsa----------------Mings---------------Targett

-------------------------------------Luiz---------------------------------------

---------------------Barkley--------------McGinn-----------------------

Traore------------------------------------------------------------Grealish

-----------------------------------Davis---------------------------------------

subs; Heaton, Elmohamady, Hause, Taylor, Nakamba, Ramsey, El Ghazi, Wesley, Philogene-Bidace

Tough one to call this.  We played very well against them recently and restricted them to few chances, which gives we belief that we can do so again.  Can see a similar score line to last time, just hope it’s us.  Davis will start, otherwise I can see Smith picking the usual.

Martinez

Luiz       McGinn

Barkley

Traore                 Davis                 El Ghazi

Subs:  Heaton, Elmo, Hause, Taylor, Nakamba, Sanson, Ramsey, Wesley and hopefully ‘Grealish’.

PS - please give Jack and possibly Wesley 30 minutes before the end.  Fingers crossed Jack then starts at Palace on Sunday.

Edited by ferguson1

We face Everton for the second time within a fortnight tomorrow. This is our game in hand, a game that we have been been referring to for some time now, so it is important that we do get something from it.  A win would take us back into the top half, at the expense of Leeds. Our visitors, like ourselves have won more often away, than at home this season, so like us at the start of the month they have no reason to fear an away game. Although our recent victory at Goodison Park was a blow to their hopes of Europa Cup qualification, it remains a possibility for them, which a second defeat against us this month, would all but extinguish. 

We beat Everton 2-0 at Villa Park last season. Their last win at B6 came in 2016, during our relegation season and the teams last drew at Villa Park in 2012. We last did the double over them in season 2000/2001, so it would be nice to now do that again, at long last. Overall, we have won 75 and have drawn 54 of the 205 league games, that there have been between the two clubs, in this the most played top-flight fixture. A win tomorrow, would therefore level up the historical results between us. Just win it for us Villa!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

McGinn is not a holding midfielder. If we insist on playing with one put Nakamba in who played quite well in his last few starts.

Nah he probably isn't - but I'm not sure Luiz is and he's played there numerous of times, and he sat deeper at the end of the Man Utd game when Douglas went off - albeit we were chasing the game.

I prefer McGinn further back, I think when he's on song we play well and he snuffs out the opposition better than all our other midfielders, possibly Nakamba aside (but obviously better on the ball than the latter).

I did mean to put it as a 4-2-3-1 though to be honest - with Barkley in front of SJM and Ramsey. 

22 minutes ago, John said:

Overall, we have won 75 and have drawn 54 of the 205 league games,

Villa win to make it Villa won 76, drawn 54, Everton won 76. Great symmetry for two proper old clubs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Others have suggested Traore up front. I don't think he can play there, he can't play with his back to goal and he doesn't make the kind of runs that strikers do. He's excellent at carrying the ball, that's his strength and it would be wasted if he was up top.

Selection will be interesting with no Watkins and the possible return of Jack.

I'd guess at:

----------------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------

Cash-------------Konsa----------------Mings---------------Targett

-------------------------------------Luiz---------------------------------------

---------------------Barkley--------------McGinn-----------------------

Traore------------------------------------------------------------Grealish

-----------------------------------Davis---------------------------------------

subs; Heaton, Elmohamady, Hause, Taylor, Nakamba, Ramsey, El Ghazi, Wesley, Philogene-Bidace

Yeah I don't want Traore as CF as he's starting play well again out wide so let him finish the seaosn. It was just the usual tedious posts in September saying he'd played upfront loads for Lyon so we shouldn't bother getting in another striker and if we were to play a game with a false 9 then I'd say v Everton is sort of game to do it given how much they struggled against our front players movement just 11 days ago.

I agree it's very likely Davis will start. Interested to see how he actually does from the start of a game rather than coming on for last 30 when defences are tiring and games are more stretched so you get a bit more space.

If we barely lay a glove on them after creating so much at Goodison that's probably the end of his time here as harsh as it sounds as we simply can't gamble Ollie will be available for all 38 games next season, we want to have more cup games for a start so will need a decent back up striker just for that (Wes can stay as third striker).