Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

51 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

While I agree with you about parties.  It was when the Government allowed families to mix at Christmas and its not just players that mix at training grounds then are we now surprised there is a mass outbreak?

I think the next few weeks are going to see more games off through nobodies fault.

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The cricket bubbles and the F1 bubbles were and are far superior to the football bubbles. 

as I said in the other Covid thread that only 1 Serie A game has been farcically cancelled and none in La Liga and Bundesliga so I think its just an issue in the UK at the moment

• Thanks 1

Statistically, the chances are they should all be fine, really. Again from stats, the higher risks might be our black contingent  as I believe I remember from the early days there appeared to be a higher proportion of BAME victims, but whether that was a physiological or sociological cause I can't remember if that was investigated further

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Christ, is that from a reliable source? 

The whole first team squad basically. 

If any have longer term Covid symptoms we could be really buggered.  Hopefully being fit as fiddles they will be able to brush it off. 

Anyone know if any Newcastle players are still out of their squad? Bruce said some were hit hard. 

Alas, it seems that long covid issues are largely unrelated to whether you were fit or not. The virus doesn't really give a flying f*$# whether you're healthy or not... being healthy won't make you immune to long covid. It may reduce your likelihood of catching it, but data only indicates age, gender and the number of symptoms you show are the rate deciding factors so far.

The base level of your health just dictates your chances of survival if it decides it wants to give you a long suffering bout. Your age and gender then dictate whether you're more likely to get it (older women being more likely than other groups in general). In this case though, if you do get long covid, you aren't playing football again for the foreseeable, let alone anywhere close to PL standard. 

Fingers well and truly crossed that none of our first team get the long version. It's rare but chances are if 10 of our players have it, we're increasing the chances 1 of them gets long covid

Edited by MrBlack
Clarity

Was listening to one of the BBC football pods and a pundit was going on about the schedule for Spurs etc and the game should go ahead on the premise that we were to blame for the outbreak etc and if we can play kids for FA Cup why not league game?? Didn't seem to have this opinion when Newcastle had a COV19 outbreak and our match was suspended.

Do any of these mugs actually do any research??

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

as I said in the other Covid thread that only 1 Serie A game has been farcically cancelled and none in La Liga and Bundesliga so I think its just an issue in the UK at the moment

not sure about the other leagues, but serie A hasn't been cancelling but there have been a few 3-0 forfeits this season.

napoli were advised by local government not to travel, so they didn't, and juve were awarded a 3-0 win. think we have it bad, it could be a lot worse.

EDIT: i stand corrected, napoli had the decision reversed based on appeal, but there have been other similar examples

Edited by tomav84

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Alas, it seems that long covid issues are largely unrelated to whether you were fit or not. The virus doesn't give a flying f*$# whether you're healthy or not.

The base level of your health just dictates your chances of survival if it decides it wants to give you a long suffering bout. In this case, you aren't playing football again for the foreseeable, let alone anywhere close to PL standard. 

Well, there are a number of factors in how someone reacts to any illness, coronavirus included.

Age, diet, underlining conditions, medication, alcohol consumption, overall fitness, sex, how much sleep you get, are you properly dressed in the winter, a million different factors.

I appreciate that it's important that we socially distance and shield against this virus, but saying ''The virus doesn't give a flying f*$# whether you're healthy or not.'' is extremally dangerous and we should not be thinking this way. 

If anything, right now we should be screaming about the right vitamin dosage, diet, exercise so we create a healthy society that is less likely to get a severe illness.

Footballers are healthier than an average Joe so they are less likely so suffer from this horrible virus.

We shouldn't be saying the virus doesn't give a shit about our health because it empirically does - let's look after ourselves and get our close ones to do the same, because next to social distancing that is the best weapon we have against this pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Well, there are a number of factors in how someone reacts to any illness, coronavirus included.

Age, diet, underlining conditions, medication, alcohol consumption, overall fitness, sex, how much sleep you get, are you properly dressed in the winter, a million different factors.

I appreciate that it's important that we socially distance and shield against this virus, but saying ''The virus doesn't give a flying f*$# whether you're healthy or not.'' is extremally dangerous and we should not be thinking this way. 

If anything, right now we should be screaming about the right vitamin dosage, diet, exercise so we create a healthy society that is less likely to get a severe illness.

Footballers are healthier than an average Joe so they are less likely so suffer from this horrible virus.

We shouldn't be saying the virus doesn't give a shit about our health because it empirically does - let's look after ourselves and get our close ones to do the same, because next to social distancing that is the best weapon we have against this pandemic. 

I meant in the sense that everyone should be careful, not no-one should be. Just because you're young and healthy, doesn't mean you're immune to its effects. I did change my post after you quoted but still think I may be delivering the message incorrectly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

not sure about the other leagues, but serie A hasn't been cancelling but there have been a few 3-0 forfeits this season.

napoli were advised by local government not to travel, so they didn't, and juve were awarded a 3-0 win. think we have it bad, it could be a lot worse.

EDIT: i stand corrected, napoli had the decision reversed based on appeal, but there have been other similar examples

I am pretty sure this was the only game in Serie A that has been effected and was a mistake by the local council. Verona vs Roma was a 3-0 forfeit because of a paperwork error

There's increasing evidence that vitamin D is a big protector against not just COVID but other diseases.

If football players are training outside almost every day, it could be a reason why there's so many asymptomatic cases as a proportion. 

• Like 3

I can't recall who they were due to play, but I notice that the U18's game this weekend appears to have been called off, as the fixture has been removed from the official site and other sites. The U23 line-up this weekend should make for interesting viewing, if it's made up of players that normally play for the U18s, then that might explain why their game has been postponed and would also suggest that the U23 regulars, or some of them, are going to be needed for the first team squad.

Or to make the same point in less words, has the U18 game been called off, so the U18 players can play for the U23s, allowing the U23 players to play for the first team in place of those afflicted by covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Kenneth Williams | Kenneth williams, Funny movies, Comedy

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I can't recall who they were due to play, but I notice that the U18's game this weekend appears to have been called off, as the fixture has been removed from the official site and other sites. The U23 line-up this weekend should make for interesting viewing, if it's made up of players that normally play for the U18s, then that might explain why their game has been postponed and would also suggest that the U23 regulars, or some of them, are going to be needed for the first team squad.

Or to make the same point in less words, has the U18 game been called off, so the U18 players can play for the U23s, allowing the U23 players to play for the first team in place of those afflicted by covid.

I would say quite probably yes. The Premier League are probably unlikely to allow us a further fixture delay given average isolation periods etc, and the club will need the u23 fit and ready to go just as a form of insurance if nothing else.

Cynically, could be that covid spread further, but let's not think about that eventuality...

Edited by MrBlack

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

There's increasing evidence that vitamin D is a big protector against not just COVID but other diseases.

If football players are training outside almost every day, it could be a reason why there's so many asymptomatic cases as a proportion. 

I really don't understand why the government isn't screaming from the rooftops to tell people to properly supplement and release guidance on it - instead of going on a run and getting some fresh air, sun and implementing a healthy diet we should all stay at home and fear for our lives. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

The cricket bubbles and the F1 bubbles were and are far superior to the football bubbles. 

In fairness, they took place in summer when the virus was less potent worldwide. F1 still had a few cases (out of the 20 drivers, I think 3 of them missed races due to positive tests) and there were significantly fewer people involved there than are involved in football. I can't speak for cricket as I don't follow it but F1 was lucky to get completed in the timeframe it did before the virus started to take a significant hold on the world again.

13 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Isn’t that because we are generally Vitamin D deficient because we are stuck indoors not only just for COVID but normally we work indoors and live in doors and our diets generally suck so our immune system isn’t as strong as it could be.

I think I’m agreeing with you but just making sure we are on the same page 🤪It’s the same old thing of exercise, diet and being outdoors.  Modern society trends are moving more away from the last one, diets are being consumed by fast food and processed food and exercise is limited compared to energy expelled daily by our ancestors so we aren’t getting the nutrients and activity to keep us at our best.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Isn’t that because we are generally Vitamin D deficient because we are stuck indoors not only just for COVID but normally we work indoors and live in doors and our diets generally suck so our immune system isn’t as strong as it could be.

I think I’m agreeing with you but just making sure we are on the same page 🤪It’s the same old thing of exercise, diet and being outdoors.  Modern society trends are moving more away from the last one, diets are being consumed by fast food and processed food and exercise is limited compared to energy expelled daily by our ancestors so we aren’t getting the nutrients and activity to keep us at our best.

Yep. I think it's about ensuring no deficiency rather than taking loads can magically cure COVID. I'm only saying that footballers are much less likely to be deficient because of their training, being outdoors a lot and probably (hopefully) balanced diet. So it *could* be a factor to explain why 10 25 year old footballers could all contract it but never even know. Or it might not.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I haven't looked at any data on this but I think that many of us are moving in the right direction - offices offer leisure discounts, everyone has a fit bit/garmin/whatever, there are gyms opening everywhere, there are businesses that will send you a week's worth of healthy meals, everyone knows how many steps they made today, the private sector is really pushing the 'healthy' lifestyle. 

I'd just like the government to send a message out about looking after yourself rather than pushing a narrative of staying at home and ordering takeaways as a result of it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Yes, please.

Â