Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

8 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think what is clear is that by the end of this season Covid is going to have played a massive part in the outcome of the league. Winners may just be the team which has avoided a team outbreak the best

I was thinking this. 

For example, Liverpool with all the stars they have are a team outbreak away from being very thin on the ground. They already have Van Dijk and Gomez out for the season and if they were to get something like we/Fulham/Newcastle had then that would leave them very vulnerable at the back and they have no cushion this year. Man City are actually getting most of their big names back from injury which is ominous. 

12 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think what is clear is that by the end of this season Covid is going to have played a massive part in the outcome of the league. Winners may just be the team which has avoided a team outbreak the best

IF none of our players have any long-term effects, we could end up benefitting this season.  No cup games, no european games, Man City game played soon, Newcastle game on the FA cup weekend.... and hopefully very low chance of a second outbreak.      So 1 game a week for the rest of the season, plus a mini-winter break (ie: now) which means players come back well rested for the rest of the season.

I should really post this in the title winning thread 🙂

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'll be honest I kind of want City to win it ahead of Liverpool and Man U. Gone right off Klopp and well Man U is Man U.

This.  City are just meh, irrelevant and therefore much less offensive than Man Utd and Liverpool (the axis of evil).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

And this is the mindset that has come about. Why is it that the clubs be flexible? Why not the federations? They were flexible enough to give Qatar a winter world cup. The clubs bending over backwards is not the only solution in this. Especially when the health of their players is often part of the equation. They're not cattle. Don't let the Premier League fool us into thinking they're doing everything they can.  They're not. They've shown this week that they're not. They'll do the minimum possible as late as they want and inconvenience whoever they want to as long as it's not themselves. words removed.

They gave clubs involved in europe in August the first games off so that was as flexible as it gets.

Honestly think Fulham would rather have this match now than put in last week of the season in May if they have to get 4 points to stay up in final two games as we did.

In any case I suspect they'll go all in for the Chelsea game given Chelsea are a points sieve currently so it's one Fulham can get something from if they play well enough.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Their general fitness should be ok. It's going to be about a 2 week gap since the Man United game, we'll have a day to train together, but ultimately we're a confident side who know how to play decent football. We might start slow, but I think we'll be fine. 

That's all caveated by the fact we don't know if players have a serious version of covid or are asymptomatic etc. 

Wasn't it said when the story broke that a few had tested positive last monday so I assume them and close contacts went into isolation from that point and hopefully will be ready to go on Thursday morning.

1 hour ago, floody555 said:

I may have missed it from an earlier post, but is there any info' on who has the positive test results?

Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Luiz, Targett, Grealish, McGinn, Ghazi, Barkley, Watkins and 2 more undisclosed.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't it said when the story broke that a few had tested positive last monday so I assume them and close contacts went into isolation from that point and hopefully will be ready to go on Thursday morning.

Nope they had the test on Monday and carried on training until Wednesday when they got the results of the test.  The whole squad was then tested again and more positive tests happened.

It's the test date that matters. They or anyone in contact with them has to isolate for 10 days from the day after the test. If they show no signs they are free after that. Obviously if some of them tested positive later in the week then their isolation starts the day after that test but everybody else should be OK from Thursday

• Like 1

Just had a look at Fulham team for QPR as people were saying they played a full strength team and so would've rested more players if they knew they had a game on Wednesday.

They started Rodak, Kongolo, Tim Ream, Joe Bryan, Onomah and Tete. None of them make their first choice team anymore, neither does probably Mitrovic currently so nowhere near first choice team.

They've had today, tomorrow and possibly Wednesday morning to prep for Spurs now. Sunday would've just been a rest/warm down day even if they didn't have a game.

I'm o.k with us having similar prep time for Everton if we can get back out on the turf on Thursday morning.

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Why are people saying this more and more?

friday night. interviewer: "do you sympathize with villa and this young team they have out?" klopp: "do they need sympathy?"

Representative for Wellingborough.

i have paraphrased, but that was the gist of what was said

oh his whinging about 5 subs too, which we all know only benefits the big clubs.

and complaining about scheduling and player fatigue then puts first team out against a bunch of kids

i could go on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Luiz, Targett, Grealish, McGinn, Ghazi, Barkley, Watkins and 2 more undisclosed.

That's so unfortunate if true. We've come together as an outfit and played some great team football. Would be an unjust way to lose the momentum we've got (not that we will).

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Or has the best squad. Which is why I cant see anyone but city winning the league. 

21 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

You missed out Heaton, Hourihane, Nakamba, Davis, Ramsey, Guilbert and Elmo.

thankfully Taylor and Engles were negative

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Just seen that Calvert-Lewin is injured with a hamstring, almost certainly out of our game 

Hames and Digne were back for cup tie.

Ultimately we need to get back playing sooner or later, Spurs just came a few days too soon.

Â