Match Thread: Man United v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, smg said:

How has Barkley become so important since he stopped playing ? Another month out and he will be in the England squad 

He's our second best player that brings the best out of our best player, and is not intimidated by the mighty Man Utd like some of our players seem to be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Konsa more to blame than mings imo.

No chance. Mings is near post. If he'd got back quicker he would've had his feet set to attack the cross correctly instead of lunging awkwardly. Konsa was behind martial.

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smg said:

How has Barkley become so important since he stopped playing ? Another month out and he will be in the England squad 

So who are you bringing on then? To push Jack back to the left inverted winger role, from which he did so much damage earlier this season?

Ramsey is exciting, but he's a kid. He's not ready for a game against title challengers, away from home, where we're already trailing and need to try to find a way back in.

I think it's a lot harder to drop Mings when he's started again than it was to just keep the same lineup, but Hause was in really good form, and I don't think he should have been dropped.

Justice for Kortney!

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we’ve done ok. We’ve improved so much since last season. 

We’re lacking quality tonight from our wide players who have been superb in recent weeks. 

The only thing that worries me is the Traore performance. He really doesn’t look great. 

I’d hook him at halftime to be brutally honest. I appreciate the opposition in this game and the last is of the best out there, but we can’t afford to be carrying players, we’re just not good enough to do that. Push Grealish onto AWB, AEG onto Shaw, and bring Ramsey in centrally. 

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Don’t think we can complain too much about losing, despite the nature of the goal. They have created a lot more than us, I’d really like to see Jack our wide for the 2nd but can’t see Smith making an early adjustment.

We know we have goals in us though, game isnt over yet.

We aren't scoring tonight unless he makes early changes.  Far too pedestrian and far too sloppy with the ball.

McGinn gave the ball away 5 times in the 1st 10 mins.  Thankfully he has improved.  Many others have not

Just now, JB said:

There’s definitely a case for bringing on Davis. Watkins is getting completely outmuscled by Bailly and even though he might not be the same goal threat, I’d back Keinan to do a better job at bringing others into the game. 

I agree there's a case for it. Not many will agree though, because they can't see past Davis 'doesn’t score goals, so he's not an option". Even though he has attributes (in this game) that we are lacking.

It will be a case of Smith trying to get more from the current wide players though (till at least 70 mins or when we're further behind).

• Like 3

I wouldn’t say it’s too dissimilar to the Chelsea game, and that one turned out okay in the end. We need to sort our wing play out, though, and stop their full backs getting past our lines. We’ve played okay, but we can play better. Barkley’s absence is noticable. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

I think that's causing the angst.  We shouldn't be losing but we are.  And the manner of the goal makes it worse.... Traore's free kick set them up for a counter attack. It was so bad :(

it's been even. we're playing man utd and, like it or not, they're not a shit team. it's not like we've played bad either so I don't see the point in having a moanfest and talking about replacing players XD. I mean some people should check their pulses.

Just now, Genie said:

We’ve got pretty much nothing in the bench. If we’re go get something out of this we need to do it with the starting 11

Which is why getting Barkley back on the bench for this was so important.

Unless he's had a real setback, I'm annoyed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

No chance. Mings is near post. If he'd got back quicker he would've had his feet set to attack the cross correctly instead of lunging awkwardly. Linda was behind martial.

And should have stepped towards him. Even if he is Linda.