Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

12 hours ago, One For The Road said:

"Aston Villa should think themselves lucky to be able to play against these great Premier League clubs. For such an insignificant club like them to get a chance to visit Old Trafford will just be a great day out for them.

I know they have won their last 20 games without conceding a goal, but I'm going for them to lose 10-0 in this one, just on the basis that I'm sad, bitter old t***, whose outdated views on football are totally irrelevant."

Can never understand the stick that Lawro gets. He is oblivious to any social media bullshit meaning he speaks more freely and plainly than practically any other pundit. As much as I love Dion Dublin the Villa player, my heart sinks whenever I tune into Football Focus to see him occupying a seat. There is so little insight on offer with so many of the pundits, and I just cannot understand why more sports journalists aren't employed on these shows, whose job it is to have all the facts and speak articulately about them.

I work for a charity, and it really reminds me of this football pundit situation; people who have the time to offer their services, but little to no skill for the job at hand. I don't even think this is subjective. For every Alan Hansen, Gary Neville, Lawro et al, you get a Dion Dublin, Clint Morrison or if you are really, truly unlucky, Charlie Adam.

Why are we suffering because these people have nothing better to do?

34 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

They’ve conceded more than anyone in the top half of the league (23), while we have conceded second fewest (14 to Man City’s 12). They’ve scored a lot (31 in 15) but so have we (28 in 14).

I can see us battering them by a few goals, especially if we get off to a fast start. Man United is good, but they seem fragile and prone to panic at any evidence of trouble. If we lose I think it will be because of mental lapses like against West Ham. With Emi and our current back 4, I think the chances we get our doors blown off by anyone are slim.

I agree, an early goal and we will rip them apart

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Gonna be a high scoring game looking at how Manu set up against Wolves, 4-3 to us with Ollie getting a hatrick. ManU arent the team they pretend to be, we have better players all over the pitch . 

You do realise if it finishes 0 - 0, it's down to you. 

we may not do so on friday either, but unlike all the previous years and most of the ones before that, we know that we can win, we can be dangerous and we will try to win by playing good football. We aren't going to try and nick it.

• Like 1

The one thing about this season is I am now starting to become greedy, I think about Friday against what is no vintage United team, and I will be very disappointed with anything other than a win

It's an exciting time to be a Villa fan.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

I already hate the coverage of United being 2nd in the league. 

I love it that their fans are celebrating the "dizzying heights" of 2nd place. The Manchester United mystique that they used to their advantage for so long is gone. They've got to fight tooth and nail like the rest of us now. This should be a great occasion. Let's hope they don't call the game through Covid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Gonna be a high scoring game looking at how Manu set up against Wolves, 4-3 to us with Ollie getting a hatrick. ManU arent the team they pretend to be, we have better players all over the pitch . 

I think you might be right. I think we can score four goals but the McGinn-Luiz battery will thwart them. 4-1 Villa!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rodders said:

we may not do so on friday either, but unlike all the previous years and most of the ones before that, we know that we can win, we can be dangerous and we will try to win by playing good football. We aren't going to try and nick it.

That's what's pleases me most about this season. We won't win every game, but we'll be trying to do so. Such a great feeling. 

5 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Can never understand the stick that Lawro gets. He is oblivious to any social media bullshit meaning he speaks more freely and plainly than practically any other pundit. As much as I love Dion Dublin the Villa player, my heart sinks whenever I tune into Football Focus to see him occupying a seat. There is so little insight on offer with so many of the pundits, and I just cannot understand why more sports journalists aren't employed on these shows, whose job it is to have all the facts and speak articulately about them.

I work for a charity, and it really reminds me of this football pundit situation; people who have the time to offer their services, but little to no skill for the job at hand. I don't even think this is subjective. For every Alan Hansen, Gary Neville, Lawro et al, you get a Dion Dublin, Clint Morrison or if you are really, truly unlucky, Charlie Adam.

Why are we suffering because these people have nothing better to do?

People don't want facts. They want opinions.

That answers the above and Brexit. 

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we’ll line up:

Martinez

Cash    Konsa   Mings   Targett     

Luiz    McGinn

El Ghazi      Barkley    Grealish

Watkins

That's the team I'd like to see I think. Hause has done well but I think Mings-Konsa is our strongest CB partnership and I think Mings is more suitable for this game.

Will be nice for the Barkley-Grealish combo to be back for this game. Will cause Man Poo a few problems I'd guess. 

• Like 1