Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

31 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Neither El Ghazi or Barkley could play in Traore's position and Trezeguet is injured.

Only alternative is Elmo?

El Ghazi has played more games on the right at Villa than left. 42 vs 38

Barkley is number 10. Grealish and AEG used to alternate sides in Championship I remember clearly

5:14 Grealish AML passes to El Ghazi AMR

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

They'll all want to play so no changes unless there are any fitness niggles that emerge in the next day or two. I was banging on about subs, today but listening to Dean's interview that hunger to play every game and continue momentum is probably the better option. After the United game it's 12 days until the spurs match, and so plenty of changes can be made for the cup game anyway. 

Think we have a side to win a trophy this year.  Hope we give the FA Cup a real go.

For ManUtd, would put Barkley in for Traore and switch Grealish to the right wing. Mings in for Hause. 

I think Barkely and Ming's should come straight back in, not because anyone deserves to be dropped but we need fresh legs in the team.

We really need a good Jan window to rotate the squad. Remember when McGinn was shot to pieces after playing so many games and after injury he was himself again. Really worry about fatigue setting in. 

8 minutes ago, supermon said:

We really need a good Jan window to rotate the squad.

We have room now I assume for 1 player in 25 man squad with Kalinic leaving on loan making it 24. I wouldn't predict any more than 1 signing if any. We're in the same boat as the majority of teams in terms of depth and we're not going to match top 6 teams for squad depth in 4 transfer windows

Edited by Kiwivillan

This is the one for me. Years of 'banter' from the glory hunting pricks in my bloodline, then there's the Liverpool lot who are quite silent around me these days. But I want scumchester United's glory hunting relatives of mine to be silenced. 

Their attack is very good and deadly. The cheating goofy barsteward is the one we need to make sure doesn't get any joy.

However I have noticed huge gaps between the lines and their defence whilst on their day can be good especially in 1 on 1 duels collectively they're poor, disjointed and lacking leadership.

Barkley will score if he plays more than 25-30 minutes. 

But we have to stop the goofy one. I can't stand the prick. Our flanks will be key for this one we have to take our chances and we will get plenty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

This is the one for me. Years of 'banter' from the glory hunting pricks in my bloodline, then there's the Liverpool lot who are quite silent around me these days. But I want scumchester United's glory hunting relatives of mine to be silenced. 

Their attack is very good and deadly. The cheating goofy barsteward is the one we need to make sure doesn't get any joy.

However I have noticed huge gaps between the lines and their defence whilst on their day can be good especially in 1 on 1 duels collectively they're poor, disjointed and lacking leadership.

Barkley will score if he plays more than 25-30 minutes. 

But we have to stop the goofy one. I can't stand the prick. Our flanks will be key for this one we have to take our chances and we will get plenty.

Sweet and subtle. 

5 hours ago, smg said:

Does Mings go straight back in ? I think not after seeing Konse and Hause today, they seemed to be comfortable throughout. Interested to see reasons why he should.  Perhaps we are building a squad and not just a team?

The only real justification for mings to go straight back in is fatigue. 

• Like 1

Think Mings and Konsa will be reunited in defence. Harsh on Hause but I think thats what Deano will do.

Barkley in for Traore id imagine, Jack back on the left. This is a huge game and one we can win.

Whatever Smith chooses ill be happy with, everyone has been brilliant and you can make a case for any of the starting. So this is what it feels like to have a competitive squad 🤔 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bruno Fernandes been on mad fire this season. Will be very difficult to stop going for a swim on the grass.

FTFY

• Haha 1

Martinez

Cash Konsa Hause Targett

Luiz McGinn

El Ghazi Barkley Grealish

Watkins

60': Traore for Barkley

80': Ramsey for El Ghazi

90+4': Kalinic for Grealish, solely to karate kick Fernandes

Villa 3-1 

• Haha 1

I would usually stay stick with a winning team (last night was almost as good as a win) and they all did more than enough to keep their shirts.. however.. 3 games in such a short period, including 45 minutes with 10 men and a tough encounter last night, I think it's probably best that we utilise the squad a little for this game and let's face it, by including the likes of Barkley and Mings we are improving the starting eleven (at least on paper) so it's a great position we find ourselves in - and with an extra day's rest 👍 

Mings for Hause / Barkley for Traore for me then. Then look to mix it up a bit more against Liverpool.

History would tell me we haven't a chance of winning this but current form indicates otherwise - if we keep up our levels of performance then we have a decent chance of picking up at least a point.

They have some very good attacking players but are definitely gettable at the back so I expect goals in this one (at both ends) and I think we will need at least 2 to win.

Whatever the outcome, it's just fantastic to be looking forward to these types of games and feeling like we having a genuine good chance of picking up points rather than 'watching' from behind the sofa! 

**** it, we're Aston Villa, we win where we want...

Man U 1-2 Villa (Watkins 2)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think Smith should go all out attack, ship two goals in the first three minutes and lose 6-2 while sitting on a bucket. Then sit back and enjoy the media praise that will surely come his way.

The Bielsa love in is quite something to see. Someone called him ‘the father of modern football’ and then said that Leeds has been his longest managerial appointment... 

It annoys me when it comes to Dean as the media only ever use the ‘he’s a Villa fan’ angle, rather than he fact he’s a very good manager.

• Like 1

I'd drop Traoré and move Grealish to the left, especially if Wan-Bissaka is still out. Grealish will have a field day against an injured Nilsson-Lindelöf or Tuanzebe or whoever else they put there. Obviously this hinges on Barkley being fit enough to start. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The Bielsa love in is quite something to see. Someone called him ‘the father of modern football’ and then said that Leeds has been his longest managerial appointment... 

It annoys me when it comes to Dean as the media only ever use the ‘he’s a Villa fan’ angle, rather than he fact he’s a very good manager.

He is very much a huge influence on some of the top coaches today with the likes of Pep, Simeone, Pochettino, Gallardo and so on but the father of modern football he is not :D 

They learned under him or by studying him and then took their own path. Bielsa has 30 years in the game as manager, any comparison to Smith at this point is going to be flawed.

11 hours ago, smg said:

Does Mings go straight back in ? I think not after seeing Konse and Hause today, they seemed to be comfortable throughout. Interested to see reasons why he should.  Perhaps we are building a squad and not just a team?

Because its 3 games in a few days, and he unlike everyone else (in the first 11) has had a break maybe (and a point to prove)? I do still think Mings is our most important centre back, I think Konsa is a better player, but Mings and him work so well together. One of the Amazon commentators said that with crowds gone, he noticed that McGinn had stepped up to be the team talker, in the absence of Mings. But I had noticed - on the fantastic villa tv, behind the scenes match day vids - that Mings is such a vocal guy.  Him and JT are the two Villans, I would be most comfortable following out the trenches.

I would also rotate one or two more. Bring Ross Barkley back if he is fit. He will have been watching everyone play like their lives depended upon it and know he needs a good performance to secure his place. I don't think you can drop El Ghazi right now though - although I still can't bring myself to put him in my FF team. 

I reckon we could probably get another game out of the eleven, but it is after that that I would worry, with an accumulation of exhaustion. Although I guess players like Hause, El Ghazi, and Traore haven't had as much playing time as the rest. 

• Like 1

Can’t afford to start with the game as open as it was against Chelsea first 20/30 as this massively plays into their hands as they love to counter.

We have the quality and confidence to get something but it’s **** United. Really depends which one of their alter-egos turns up for them, and whether Fernandes can buy another penalty.

Be interesting if Mings/Barkley walk back into the starting 11. I think personally I’d leave Mings on the bench as Hause has been awesome but bring Barkley back in. Jack is much better starting on the left than the middle for me, although it would mean not starting either Anwar or Traore who have both been excellent. Nice to have tough decisions to make for once!