Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

I honestly don't see why we can't or won't win this fixture.

We've got the talent. We've got the chemistry. We've got the momentum.

If Smith sets us up appropriately with a thorough plan for how United want to play, then I can only see us causing them headaches throughout.

Obviously it's not a one sided affair, but I really wonder if we're setup well enough, if they can hold us from scoring.

1. A lot of people are talking about how lucky Man U were to snatch a late win against Wolves - they seem to have already forgotten our 94th min smash-and-grab less than 3 week ago...

2. They don't look as potent at home as they do away. That said, they have Fernandez - switch off for one minute (which we have been known to do) and he'll punish you.

I think we'll scrape a 2-1. Tight game, then penalty in the 97th minute, slabhead hacks down Jack, AEG steps up with another of those training ground finishes.

Kevinkeeganiwillloveit.gif

Edited by Vancvillan
Spelling

After watching Utd v Wolves, I don’t think there is a lot to fear here. Respect them yes, but not regress to the point where we play for a point.  

Mings, Konsa or Hause?  Probably a little unfair on Hause but I would revert back to Konsa and Mings as it’s our best pairing. Hause can consider himself unlucky though.

Cash against Rashford will be a good duel, which is why I would like El Ghazi to play on the right instead of Traore and double on him when Utd break forward.

A Luiz and McGinn masterclass is required here, with Pogba, Matic, Fernandes or McTominay?  Not sure who is fit from them?  If fit, I would start with Barkley, even if it’s only for 60 minutes or so. He needs minutes and is not going to get them coming off the bench. 

I think we can win this.  Going to say 2-1 to us, as they will get some kind of VAR or penalty decision.

Martinez

Cash       Konsa      Mings         Targett

Luiz          McGinn

El  Ghazi               Barkley              Grealish

Watkins

Subs: Heaton, Elmo, Taylor, Hause, Nakamba, Hourihane, Ramsey, Traore, Davis

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I heavily fear Rashford and Fernandes.

Cavani also is as dangerous in the box as Giroud is.

Plenty to fear from them. Very good players.

**** um, you’re either with the Villa or you ain’t 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Tbf, we got a point there last season when we were only half the team we are now. Feeling positive about this one. 

And we bossed that game for large periods. It's a rare thing, a Villa victory at Old Trafford. I think the last time we were victorious there Gabby got the winner. A similar performance would be wonderful. 

• Like 1

They’ve conceded more than anyone in the top half of the league (23), while we have conceded second fewest (14 to Man City’s 12). They’ve scored a lot (31 in 15) but so have we (28 in 14).

I can see us battering them by a few goals, especially if we get off to a fast start. Man United is good, but they seem fragile and prone to panic at any evidence of trouble. If we lose I think it will be because of mental lapses like against West Ham. With Emi and our current back 4, I think the chances we get our doors blown off by anyone are slim.

• Like 1