Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/12/20 at 23:59

37 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It’s really strange. The last 3 or 4 seasons you haven’t been able to click on anything Villa related on twitter without being drowned in Wolves fans. 

They’ve been fairly quiet this year though, particularly so tonight. I haven’t been able to find one Wolves fan. Funny that, there used to be thousands. 

"Do que você está falando? Existem muitos de nós."

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought Wolves slightly shaded it but a great 3 points, with Emi the standout.

I have no idea what handball is anymore. Hit him as low as the elbow, in an unnatural position and it’s deemed fine? As long as we get the same treatment...

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If I were going to sub to protect from the red, I'd have taken McGinn off before Luiz tbh.

Couldn't afford to take McGinn off though. Thought he was our best outfield player by a distance. 

46 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I thought Wolves slightly shaded it but a great 3 points, with Emi the standout.

I have no idea what handball is anymore. Hit him as low as the elbow, in an unnatural position and it’s deemed fine? As long as we get the same treatment...

Make no mistake......at the other end, we would have been punished, for those handballs.

No one felt sorry for us at West Ham.....its the name of the game.....we won.

There are things you have to do to win and we did it.....sure lady luck plays a part, but all teams rely on that

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

It’s really strange. The last 3 or 4 seasons you haven’t been able to click on anything Villa related on twitter without being drowned in Wolves fans. 

They’ve been fairly quiet this year though, particularly so tonight. I haven’t been able to find one Wolves fan. Funny that, there used to be thousands. 

So it's like the 31 years before the last two years then? (I'm 33 and I've known two wolves fans my entire life, now I see their shit badge quite often).

• Like 1

Big win that was! Tactics were spot on as we didn’t allow them to counter too much as they typically like to. And we went back to defending well and kept our concentration throughout. Keeper did great. Really great. And it was so good to see us dig in and scrap like that and get a win. And seeing is driving forward with ten men at the end was so positive to see. 

Thought Cash was excellent too and so brave at all times. Really think he adds a lot to us in terms of momentum. Big player for us. 

We really needed that win today. 

8 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

We were lucky this game, but unlucky last game, it evens out.

They were lucky too, it could have been more.

it does even itself out, which makes it more irrelevant to talk about.

nobody talks about our bad luck.....i don't want to talk about other teams bad luck either....its part of the game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is all the proof I needed to be sure that "xG" is bollocks.

Martinez didn't just make the saves that were expected of him, he made a couple of terrific saves that would have gone in, we didn't challenge their keeper to anywhere near the same extent. I remember discussion on the match thread about someone taking a deckchair out for their keeper. Apart from our penalty we had one shot on target all game, and it was pretty damn tame.

Martinez is the runaway man of the match and people are calling him our best keeper in years. That doesn't happen after a game in which he makes a few routine saves. He had a worldie, and if the "xG" stats don't reflect that, well, I'll believe my eyes and the consensusus of fans rather than that.

xG is a good metric. It's not perfect but much better than any other tool for analysing the match. Remember a penalty is worth 0.8 on its ownwhich I'd assume is the main reason our xG bettered wolves, especially in a game of half chances 

I don't think it was a particularly good performance and I was very frustrated that we were again making an average team look ok.

Grealish was quieter than I expected and I think Ramsey in the middle wasn't the player we needed there. He didn't do a lot a lot wrong but didn't do a lot at all.

Targett and Cash both brilliant. Mings pretty good but Konsa better. Martinez sublime.

I'm still not convinced by Traore. Sometimes he's amazingly gifted but then he just doesn't make the right decision almost ever. I'd like to see him a bit more direct and with some kind of end product. After 30 mins today I wanted Anwar on and I'm not his biggest fan either.

But Anwar showed great composure for the penalty and hopefully he'll get another chance to push himself again and stake a claim. I'm sure there's a player in there and I'd love to see him deliver here rather than somewhere else.

Fantastic win though. I felt sure we'd concede at the end but we very definitely are a different team now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Enda said:

They hit the post, Dondecker should have buried his chance, and they had 3-4 other half chances in that second half.

We had Ollie’s good effort and a late, late penalty. It was even enough but Wolves deserved at least a point IMHO.

Tough shit.

• Like 2

Â