Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/12/20 at 23:59

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Scrapped hard for the big W today. A good sign which we hardly did last season. Nearly half the points total of last season with about 75% of the fixtures remaining.  A brave decision by Smith to start Ramsey and a statement of intent. Plus Albion and Blues losing late on, makes it a perfect Saturday for a petty and vindictive person like myself. The true spirit of the Christmas season.

A kindred spirit! :hooray:

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Great leadership from Jack at the end to get the lads to run to the corner flag to celebrate instead of in the penalty box to help the clock tick down more.

I spotted that too. Ran towards the corner whilst waving to our other players - let’s celebrate way over here!

Despite some somewhat negative views by others in the thread, I don’t think this game was a ‘smash and grab’, indeed Villa’s expected goals exceeded Wolves.

Last season we looked a class below but this time I thought we matched them well. Wolves had a few more half chances in the second half but if they had scored any of the shots I think we’d be looking at our keeper. Wolves are a very doghead (!) team and together with an over officious referee, it prevented the game from being a decent watch. However, we easily did enough to deserve the platform that gave us a chance of a win, should the opposition make an extreme defensive error, such as an obvious penalty.

Oh, and well done to Villa for buying a keeper who saves everything he should. Martinez in goal is so reassuring.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, brommy said:

Villa’s expected goals exceeded Wolves.

Wolves had a few more half chances in the second half but if they had scored any of the shots I think we’d be looking at our keeper.

They hit the post, Dondecker should have buried his chance, and they had 3-4 other half chances in that second half.

We had Ollie’s good effort and a late, late penalty. It was even enough but Wolves deserved at least a point IMHO.

Emi was excellent. Very happy for Anwar after the stick he has taken. 0-0 probably would’ve been fairer but we deserved more from our last two games so unlucky Wolves! Shout out to Ramsey too for an assured debut.

• Like 1

Wolves forum is that Villa dived all over the place when we got to the final third 🤣🤣🤣🤣

One comment made me chuckle from my Hometown from one Wolves fan, it said: It looked a shit house Villa win and several called it. Horrible team, horrible club,horrible captain and a horrible ethos.

Another comment: villas only tactic is falling over, and then hoping to do something with a set piece, I don’t know how their fans can enjoy that. I don’t know how their players can enjoy it either.

They are chopping there defender to bits who brought McGinn down in stoppage, they have a scapegoat.

Only thing I agreed on is there take on the bad bad bad officiating..

24 minutes ago, Enda said:

They hit the post, Dondecker should have buried his chance, and they had 3-4 other half chances in that second half.

We had Ollie’s good effort and a late, late penalty. It was even enough but Wolves deserved at least a point IMHO.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda doesn’t win matches. Wolves were poor in front of goal and I’ve seen penalties given for the hand ball. With the distinctly average quality shots on target and the off target post shot, Wolves didn’t do enough to win and then made the glaring penalty area error. Also, having been the better team in recent defeats, we were due a result.

Jingle bells, Jingle Bells, jingle all the way ......etc etc.

But for a hiccup at the Hommers, it may have been a clean sweep of away matches. Who would have thought that possible after the events of recent years.

Martinez clearly MoM and has made an immense contribution to making us look like a team with a defence.

A nice debut for Ramsey who looks to have a good future ahead of him, the experience will have been good for him. I assume Conor will replace Luiz for the next game and it will be a toss-up between Ramsey and Marvellous for the other slot, if Barkley is not fit.

Possibly the least enjoyable game of football for us this season but nice to see we can grind out results.

onwards and upwards. UTV

It’s really strange. The last 3 or 4 seasons you haven’t been able to click on anything Villa related on twitter without being drowned in Wolves fans. 

They’ve been fairly quiet this year though, particularly so tonight. I haven’t been able to find one Wolves fan. Funny that, there used to be thousands. 

1 hour ago, brommy said:

indeed Villa’s expected goals exceeded Wolves.

...Wolves had a few more half chances in the second half but if they had scored any of the shots I think we’d be looking at our keeper.

This is all the proof I needed to be sure that "xG" is bollocks.

Martinez didn't just make the saves that were expected of him, he made a couple of terrific saves that would have gone in, we didn't challenge their keeper to anywhere near the same extent. I remember discussion on the match thread about someone taking a deckchair out for their keeper. Apart from our penalty we had one shot on target all game, and it was pretty damn tame.

Martinez is the runaway man of the match and people are calling him our best keeper in years. That doesn't happen after a game in which he makes a few routine saves. He had a worldie, and if the "xG" stats don't reflect that, well, I'll believe my eyes and the consensusus of fans rather than that.

Edited by Davkaus

Â