Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

On 07/12/2020 at 10:45, Xann said:

A tax swerving piece of shit.

I always wonder how much these celebrities know if they are or are not tax dodging.   I guess it depends on their accountants and how much the accountants explain to their clients on what they are doing to 'save' tax. 

Just finished my virtual work Christmas party. I can't think of a single more wonderful way to end an awful year. I can think of hundreds. Painful experience made all the worse as somehow I went from being volunteered into leading a quiz, to volunteered into leading several games, to volunteered into chairing the whole bloody thing. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2020 at 20:53, Mark Albrighton said:

Off topic, but as the subject of fake Dickensian graves doesn’t often come up....

The Scrooge one in Shrewsbury isn’t the only Dickens-related grave in the area, there’s one for Little Nell from “The Old Curiosity Shop” at Tong church, just off Junction 3 on the M54. As far as I can gather this was put there by a verger in the early 1900’s purely to con tourists into visiting.

I lived very close to there and didn't know about that. Had I known, I still wouldn't have visited it :)

The only thing in Tong I can remember is there used to be a (crap-ish) pub by the roundabout.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

I lived very close to there and didn't know about that. Had I known, I still wouldn't have visited it :)

The only thing in Tong I can remember is there used to be a (crap-ish) pub by the roundabout.

Sounds like you’re talking about the bell, maybe?

Marstons owned, pub grub sort of thing. It’s more like a hungry horse style restaurant, really. Always (and I mean, ALWAYS does a 2-4-1 meal deal). 

It’s ok for what it is. It has a reasonable play area bit in the beer garden which, coupled with the slightly nondescript feel it has makes it a suitable place to take the kids for a meal without thinking you’re ruining the atmosphere for others. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Sounds like you’re talking about the bell

Yeah, that's the one - I was thinking the Blue Bell, but yeah, it actually does ring a b...

It was just a bit quiet most of the time, 30 odd years ago. Going the other way (and much closer) were the Shrew, or the Harp, or going into Tettenhall, or Wolvo, or Shifnal or Bridgenorth, or even out into the sticks - there was a tiny Village called Marston, which had one pub, which sold Marston's Owd Rodger (and other Marston's beers) kept really well, and run by a sort of retired Major type bloke.

I think by the time I left that part of the world there weren't many pubs around there I hadn't been in. The best beer I had was in the Noted Ham n' Eggery one Sunday. Bloomin' nectar it was.

I seem to have wandered off topic.

Happy Christmas, then.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, that's the one - I was thinking the Blue Bell, but yeah, it actually does ring a b...

It was just a bit quiet most of the time, 30 odd years ago. Going the other way (and much closer) were the Shrew, or the Harp, or going into Tettenhall, or Wolvo, or Shifnal or Bridgenorth, or even out into the sticks - there was a tiny Village called Marston, which had one pub, which sold Marston's Owd Rodger (and other Marston's beers) kept really well, and run by a sort of retired Major type bloke.

I think by the time I left that part of the world there weren't many pubs around there I hadn't been in. The best beer I had was in the Noted Ham n' Eggery one Sunday. Bloomin' nectar it was.

I seem to have wandered off topic.

Happy Christmas, then.

Ha well the one about the bell is that it’s never really quiet these days. There’s always cars parked there when I drive past. 

Yep, the shrew and harp are two of my locals, well they would be if I was going to a pub. The harp hasn’t been open since March, there’s some rumour that Black Country ales have bought it (they own the anvil in Shifnal and for those in Brum they own the Wellington, jewellers arms, the craven arms, and others elsewhere).

Yes, definitely going off topic. Hopefully going to the pub will be more readily available to everyone after...Christmas (getting us back on track).

• Like 1

Turns out my Christmas break started nearly two weeks ago. Had a brief (unexpected) stay in the hospital at the beginning of last week and spoke to my boss about it today to fill her in on all the details. She basically said she could see I was overdoing it at work and that I need to take proper break now. Doesn’t want to hear from me again this year! Woohoo!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Turns out my Christmas break started nearly two weeks ago. Had a brief (unexpected) stay in the hospital at the beginning of last week and spoke to my boss about it today to fill her in on all the details. She basically said she could see I was overdoing it at work and that I need to take proper break now. Doesn’t want to hear from me again this year! Woohoo!

Hope you’re ok

• Thanks 1

Â