Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Going to be an interesting one this year.

I'd decided to not go home (had planned 22nd-26th) as my parents are in a higher risk age group, and next year will be a mad one (moving into our house, getting married, getting a dog) and I would hate the thought of them not being able to experience of it, and I really need my parents there for it. Made this pain-staking decision, then Ryanair cancelled my flights 2 days later anyway :D 

So, Polish style. They do 24th December, with fish and no meat.

Then 25th, I'm doing an English style dinner for them. Turkey, pigs in blankets (can't get them so will have to make them), roasties, various veg, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy.

Today is Mikołajki (st.Nicholas day) so we've already traded some small gifts.

They keep the fish in the bath overnight iirc. My mate went Warsaw 2 years ago and his in laws told him he had the honour...and they shut the bathroom door on him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

They keep the fish in the bath overnight iirc. My mate went Warsaw 2 years ago and his in laws told him he had the honour...and they shut the bathroom door on him. 

Yeah, they do, but they're cracking down on it. They sell them live in huge tubs in supermarkets. It's a bit mental really.

• Like 1

St Nicholas day here too, put my shoes out last night and they were magically filled with chocolate this morning 

The wife's family will do Nicholas stuff today, go to the village hall to see him and the other one (the bad one) they don't do department store Santa's it's all today

• Like 1

I watch about three or four films a year, we’ve had colour for a hundred years, if they can’t be bothered to colour it in, I can’t be bothered to watch it.

Lazy studios relying on ‘art’ as a selling point to pseudos.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

This would be perfectly acceptable in my book

Musicals... come the glorious day, they're on the list... somewhere

Youve crossed a line. You can join the fish gravy lot. 

• Like 1

Surely if someone should be forced to watch a black and white film now it should be It's a Wonderful Life? 

How anyone could go through life without watching The Longest Day is beyond my comprehension. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Musicals? 1930s and 40s ones (Busby-Berkeley, Fred & Ginger, et al) - fantastic. The last couple of decent postwar ones were South Pacific and High Society. From The Sound of Music/West Side Story onwards, things went rapidly downhill. That was the end of the era. Anything involving Sondheim, Lloyd-Webber or Baz Luhrmann can get in the sea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

One for the films thread, really, but ISTR several of our younger (compared to me) VTers saying they had never watched/wouldn't watch a black and white film. I still find that staggering. But then there's all the contemporary culture that completely passes me by, so I guess it cuts both ways. 

When I was madly into films when I was about 18, I tried to watch as many classics as I could. HMV used to sell 3 videos for a £5 I think and did all the classics from the 40's onwards. Got loads of them including more modern classics in colour from the 60's and 70's. Think they're still in the family lock up. 

Bizarrely, now its never been easier to watch old (or any for that matter) films with streaming etc, I find myself barely watching any. I think my concentration levels have reduced dramatically over the years. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Youve crossed a line. You can join the fish gravy lot. 

I don't mind music in films but where the cast spontaniously bust into song replacing actual dialogue, GTFO

Grease, Beatles Films, Wizard of Oz, Les Miserables, The Lion King, Tommy, Fame, Elvis Movies, Disney FIlms, Hair, Rocky Horror....

All shite, name a good one?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't mind music in films but where the cast spontaniously bust into song replacing actual dialogue, GTFO

Grease, Beatles Films, Wizard of Oz, Les Miserables, The Lion King, Tommy, Fame, Elvis Movies, Disney FIlms, Hair, Rocky Horror....

Them.  Aside from The Beatles films. As much as I like The Beatles, them films were poor. 

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Errr.  Grease, obviously. 

tumblr_mlh4c98JIe1soo3kso1_500.gif

Edited by sidcow

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

And for the record, I do not consider The Blues Brothers to be a musical nor Spinal Tap

Blues Brothers is definitely a Musical. Your list is going to need a lot of blurry lines. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Blues Brothers is definitely a Musical. Your list is going to need a lot of blurry lines. 

No it's not, the band sing the songs on the stage, it's an intrinsic part of the plot. They don't just start a scene, have a few lines of dialogue and just bust into song and start dancing around for no apparent reason

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Them.  Aside from The Beatles films. As much as I like The Beatles, them films were poor. 

Help! was poor (music aside). A Hard Day's Night is generally highly regarded by film buffs, and I agree. Using Bicks's criteria, it's no more a 'musical' than The Blues Brothers - nobody bursts into song in lieu of dialogue, they only perform them in the context of gigging, or they play as background to the silly 'chase sequences', etc. I really like it, albeit influenced by personal nostalgia for the era. Good comedy script. Some nice cameos from a whole bunch of British character actors. And it's black and white. 

Â