Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

OK, it's time. We've put the tree up. While eating mince pies, drinking ginger wine, and listening to my Spotify Xmas playlist (mostly the usual suspects). The missus pulled a face and said "Do we HAVE to listen to this?" Two tracks in and she was singing along. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, it's time. We've put the tree up. While eating mince pies, drinking ginger wine, and listening to my Spotify Xmas playlist (mostly the usual suspects). The missus pulled a face and said "Do we HAVE to listen to this?" Two tracks in and she was singing along. 

Ours went up yesterday.

No "songs" though, too early.

We bought our tree this afternoon. Very surreal experience doing so as they'd made it a drive through. You stop, stay in your car and tell them roughly how high and bushy you want it, they then come and shake a load at you until you spot one you like and then they pop it down in a bay so you can load it into your boot. 

48 minutes ago, Tegis said:

As a newly minted cat-owner, I've just realized that all the ornaments in the tree has to be shatter free.

Shopping time

You just made me sad. I miss this feller.  :(

IMG_20140104_143328964.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You just made me sad. I miss this feller.  :(

IMG_20140104_143328964.jpg

You can get a new one easy enough. 

You can even get real ones from supermarkets these days. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re having a go at making a Christmas cake, recipe requires an 8 inch cake tray.

I’ve just been asked how big is 8 inches.... 

find something that you are certain is 2 inches and multiply by 4. Its a tried and tested method here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

find something that you are certain is 2 inches and multiply by 4. Its a tried and tested method here. 

I was tempted to say ‘two thirds of this, luv’, but that’s just going to result in loads of spare cake mix that won’t fit in the tin.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I was tempted to say ‘two thirds of this, luv’, but that’s just going to result in loads of spare cake mix that won’t fit in the tin.

There is a separate issue to this. How come you are making your Christmas cake now? Ours was made in early November and fed once a week with Brandy for a month. Its at eating stage now. 

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There is a separate issue to this. How come you are making your Christmas cake now? Ours was made in early November and fed once a week with Brandy for a month. Its at eating stage now. 

The MIL made ours months ago and has been topping it up loads. Shame I don't like Christmas cake... 

The trifle she makes each Christmas is great though, even last year's when she swapped sherry for brandy. Having it for breakfast might have been a mistake mind. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Inappropriate delegation and poor follow up project team meetings.

My dad always makes the cakes. This year, right at the last minute, he announced he wasn’t doing the cakes this year he just can’t be dealing with it with everything that’s going on. I mean, they’re isolating, so everything that’s going on basically means he has to phone us his shopping order every Thursday but that’s by the by. If he can’t do it, not a problem.

Eldest nipper likes a bit of baking, volunteered to pick up the mantle. Great. We asked recently how it was coming along, only to find out it hasn’t been started. Some people think Christmas cake is basically a sponge with some marzipan. 

Hence, 12 days before the birth of our baby Lord, we’re making a **** Christmas cake from scratch.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The trifle she makes each Christmas is great though, even last year's when she swapped sherry for brandy. Having it for breakfast might have been a mistake mind

Booze for breakfast is never a mistake. 

OK, actually it's always a mistake. 

Except at Christmas. 

When it's a great idea. 

• Like 1

Second year on the trot with no tree for me. And I've never really bothered with Christmas songs (an old job in retail will do that to you). And I **** hate writing cards. And wrapping.

And I'm on my own mostly.

Christmas currently is a small pile of stuff that needs wrapping and a worrying bank account.

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Booze for breakfast is never a mistake. 

OK, actually it's always a mistake. 

Except at Christmas. 

When it's a great idea. 

It was more the fact she'd been very, very generous with the brandy.

I didn't know how strong it was and had taken a very generous portion and didn't want to upset the MIL by not finishing it. 

The problem being I was meant to drive back home to Yorkshire just after breakfast and had to ask the wife to drive as I was now well over the limit.

She pointed out how irresponsible that was seeing as it was only 8.30am. 

I'm sure I'll be reminded of this when I have trifle for breakfast again in a few weeks. 

• Haha 1

For once, I actually put some thought into the missus' presents. Normally it’s a one hour stroll around town, job done.

But I was forced to think ahead and purchase online. I remembered there was his special kind of cake tin she always wanted. Ran it up the flagpole with my daughter, she agreed and cursed me because she couldn’t think of anything for her gifts to her Mum and my idea was perfect.

Today I get a text from my daughter... “Emergency... Mum's about to buy one of those baking tins, can’t seem to dissuade her, said I’d bring mine home but she said it would be too bulky and awkward”

Tried to be subtle (personality transplant I know) but she was about to send it to the shopping cart, so I had to tell her not to bother.

Ah well

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

For once, I actually put some thought into the missus' presents. Normally it’s a one hour stroll around town, job done.

But I was forced to think ahead and purchase online. I remembered there was his special kind of cake tin she always wanted. Ran it up the flagpole with my daughter, she agreed and cursed me because she couldn’t think of anything for her gifts to her Mum and my idea was perfect.

Today I get a text from my daughter... “Emergency... Mum's about to buy one of those baking tins, can’t seem to dissuade her, said I’d bring mine home but she said it would be too bulky and awkward”

Tried to be subtle (personality transplant I know) but she was about to send it to the shopping cart, so I had to tell her not to bother.

Ah well

As the saying goes, it's the thought that counts. 

• Like 1

Â