Transgenderism

Chindie

Just now, Demitri_C said:

So am just wondering did anyone ever complain or probe the producer into making apology? If not, not sure why she is apologising.

Because she wants to. It’s her choice. No one has forced her to. Own free will. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

So am just wondering did anyone ever complain or probe the producer into making apology? If not, not sure why she is apologising.

At this point I don't think you want to understand, so I'll bow out.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

At this point I don't think you want to understand, so I'll bow out.

Not sure what your getting at sam we arr having a converstion? Im merely asking a question to understand not that "i dont want to understand"

Edited by Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Kauffman suddenly realised there was no black people in it the other day so now she's trying retrospectively diversify the cast by deciding Chandler's Dad was trans. 

I would imagine at the time that no thought whatsoever went deeper than Chandler's Dad does drag.

But what is wrong with having no black members of the friends. 6 white people being friends (two of them related) is an incredibly common thing. 

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Kauffman suddenly realised there was no black people in it the other day so now she's trying retrospectively diversify the cast by deciding Chandler's Dad was trans. 

I would imagine at the time that no thought whatsoever went deeper than Chandler's Dad does drag.

Oh really didnt know that. But i think they did use some charchters that were not white, like ross professors girlfriend aho was black, and ross also dated a asian woman in it. 

Im sure there are various shows back then that were predominately white or predominately black. Will and grace being one, and fresh Prince being another at the top of my head.

Thankfully we are seeing abit more diversity these days which shows we have learnt from back then

Yeah, I know next to zero about Friends so I can’t be arsed to comment on that.

It’s this apology CVB has been asked for, that’s the bit that concerns me.

Have I missed a government letter, or a television address to the nation or something? Or, perhaps, this was just a new variation on ‘health and safety gone mad’?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I dunno, I don't think it's that cynical. More a case of genuine ignorance and conflating drag / transvestite / trans all into one type, could perfectly easily have thought they were going with trans, but represented it badly. The character appears at Chandler's wedding still in feminine costume, outside the drag environment. 

• Like 1

Also, TV is never an exact copy of real life. In a cosmopolitan multicultural world, it's just nicer to have wider representation on screen. Ask people who aren't white or straight and see what they say about there being more representatives of people who "look like them".  We're better at that now. it does not mean that shows produced in a different era are evil. Friends relatively speaking had it's progressive moments, but it's blindspots too. Given the discourse shifts and challenges over the past couple of years, it's perfectly sensible to me, that someone who' was in that industry for a long time has reflected on their own role in that. Friends gets picked on because it was a cultural behemoth. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

But what is wrong with having no black members of the friends. 6 white people being friends (two of them related) is an incredibly common thing. 

It's mental. From the link above see the comment below. Surely just having white people as main characters isn't racist, it's just a show about white people. Unless that show actually did or said anything that was specifically racist, then there's no racism, surely?

"During her interview on The Conversation, Kauffman also addressed the criticism Friends has received for its lack of racial representation, having recently pledged $4million (£3.2million) to African American studies as an apology.

“Over the course of the last few years I’ve gotten to the point where I can say unfortunately yes, I am guilty of that,” she said. “And I’ll never make that mistake again. I was clearly part of systemic racism in our business. I was unaware of that, which makes me feel stupid."

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Ask people who aren't white or straight and see what they say about there being more representatives of people who "look like them".  We're better at that now. it does not mean that shows produced in a different era are evil. 

Couldn't agree more.

I didn't care at all about the race or gender of characters, it's just bloody fiction, what does it matter. But it's easy to think that when you're heavily represented. My mind was changed by the reaction to Black Panther. It seems trivial to some, but it really made people feel good seeing someone that looks a bit like them as the hero, which I'd just taken for granted.

38 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We currently have to apologise for being straight white males.

Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman

Funny name for a white straight male.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Couldn't agree more.

I didn't care at all about the race or gender of characters, it's just bloody fiction, what does it matter. But it's easy to think that when you're heavily represented. My mind was changed by the reaction to Black Panther. It seems trivial to some, but it really made people feel good seeing someone that looks a bit like them as the hero, which I'd just taken for granted.

It was and would’ve been a pile of shite regardless of who or what they put in the show. Preferred Game On myself

33 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's mental. From the link above see the comment below. Surely just having white people as main characters isn't racist, it's just a show about white people. Unless that show actually did or said anything that was specifically racist, then there's no racism, surely?

"During her interview on The Conversation, Kauffman also addressed the criticism Friends has received for its lack of racial representation, having recently pledged $4million (£3.2million) to African American studies as an apology.

“Over the course of the last few years I’ve gotten to the point where I can say unfortunately yes, I am guilty of that,” she said. “And I’ll never make that mistake again. I was clearly part of systemic racism in our business. I was unaware of that, which makes me feel stupid."

American media is obsessed with identity politics, social justice and representation. The bad guy in movies has to be a white male (see everything to do with Disney). You will have the cancel culture trolls on you if you don't ensure there is the right spread of representation and pushing their political agenda. 

It's extremism but the far left and it just creates more extremism on the far right to counteract it. Extremism just creates more extremism. 

People should be allowed to live their lives however they want without having others judge them or abuse them. As long as their actions don't impact others. So if someone wants to have surgery to their body and take hormones, good luck to them I hope that they are happy.

I take issue with they then deciding this is the way everyone should act and these are the things everyone should do and then organising online attacks to force things into the way they view the world. A show like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia could never ever exist in modern times because the backlash from trolls and cancel culture would be too much for any studio to go ahead with it. 

Some people care a lot about what pronoun is used to describe that person. Se people don't care what pronoun you use to describe. Why should a minority being offended control the majority who wouldn't be. If someone said to refer to the person as them, I'd try to remember to do that out of just being a good person. 

The issue is you are not allowed to have a debate on things. The view of the minority group is automatically right and they are the only ones who can set the rules that everyone else needs to align with. Everything is just polarised these days. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

American media is obsessed with identity politics, social justice and representation. The bad guy in movies has to be a white male (see everything to do with Disney). You will have the cancel culture trolls on you if you don't ensure there is the right spread of representation and pushing their political agenda. 

It's extremism but the far left and it just creates more extremism on the far right to counteract it. Extremism just creates more extremism. 

People should be allowed to live their lives however they want without having others judge them or abuse them. As long as their actions don't impact others. So if someone wants to have surgery to their body and take hormones, good luck to them I hope that they are happy.

I take issue with they then deciding this is the way everyone should act and these are the things everyone should do and then organising online attacks to force things into the way they view the world. A show like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia could never ever exist in modern times because the backlash from trolls and cancel culture would you too much for any studio to go ahead with it. 

Some people care a lot about what pronoun is used to describe that person. Se people don't care what pronoun you use to describe. Why should a minority being offended control the majority who wouldn't be. If someone said to refwr to the person as them, I'd try to remember to do that out of just being a good person. 

The issue is you are not allowed to have a debate on things. The view of the minority group is automatically right and they are the only ones who can set the rules that everyone else needs to align with. Everything is just polarised these days. 

Always sunny exists in modern times. The 16th season is due soon. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Always sunny exists in modern times. The 16th season is due soon. 

It could never be a new show in modern times. Four white men and one white woman. There has to be representation because of organised attacks that will result from there not being. T

Â