Transgenderism

Chindie

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think the fact is there is no need for an apology, or even to bring it up. If there is, here starts a series of apologies from many historical films and programs.

Does it really bother you that much? I cant say her not doing it would have registered with me, nor does what she did say.

I did find it mildly interesting that the character was trans as, for my sins, I've watched the whole show and never realised.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It could never be a new show in modern times. Four white men and one white woman. There has to be representation because of organised attacks that will result from there not being. T

I must watch way too much TV because I can think of loads of new shows with similar casts. I agree that identity politics and culture wars are boring, but I'm confused because you seem pretty keen to buy into the whole thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Does it really bother you that much? I cant say her not doing it would have registered with me, nor does what she did say.

I did find it mildly interesting that the character was trans as, for my sins, I've watched the whole show and never realised.

It don't bother me no, cause the show was shit anyway. But it's just another example of people apologising for no real reason.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I must watch way too much TV because I can think of loads of new shows with similar casts. I agree that identity politics and culture wars are boring, but I'm confused because you seem pretty keen to buy into the whole thing.

Because it's leading to nutters like Trump getting into power in the US. Extreme sides of left create more extremes on the right and on and on the polarisation go. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think the fact is there is no need for an apology, or even to bring it up. If there is, here starts a series of apologies from many historical films and programs.

I agree an apology was unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with discussing it, and if the creator feels like they got it wrong, what's wrong with learning from the past?

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It don't bother me no, cause the show was shit anyway. But it's just another example of people apologising for no real reason.

You must really hate the interactions when people walk down the street towards each other and keep turning to pass the same way.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I agree an apology was unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with discussing it, and if the creator feels like they got it wrong, what's wrong with learning from the past?

Bit there was nothing wrong, I'm really unsure why people feel the need.

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It could never be a new show in modern times. Four white men and one white woman. There has to be representation because of organised attacks that will result from there not being. T

This is not serious post is it??

Edited by foreveryoung

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Bit there was nothing wrong, I'm really unsure why people feel the need.

Not sure you're better placed than the person whose show it was to say what they should do differently if they had their chance again. They've discussed why they made the decisions they did, and they're personally not comfortable with how it looks in the modern world. They're not being campaigned against, attacked or compelled to apologise. They're just looking back on some of their older work and talking about how they'd do it now.

People have mentioned always sunny. A grotesquely offensive and hilarious show that pulls no punches - the creators have talked at length on their podcast about things they did 20 years ago that they're embarrassed about and would never dream of doing now. People learn, grow, and don't want to be perceived by decisions they made decades ago.

I'm not sure why representation is being framed like a negative, and you should probably reflect on how that looks on that back of your ludicrous claims that you need to apologise for being a straight white male. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not sure you're better placed than the person whose show it was to say what they should do differently if they had their chance again. They've discussed why they made the decisions they did, and they're personally not comfortable with how it looks in the modern world. They're not being campaigned against, attacked or compelled to apologise. They're just looking back on some of their older work and talking about how they'd do it now.

People have mentioned always sunny. A grotesquely offensive and hilarious show that pulls no punches - the creators have talked at length on their podcast about things they did 20 years ago that they're embarrassed about and would never dream of doing now. People learn, grow, and don't want to be perceived by decisions they made decades ago.

Are the creators saying these things because they actually believe that way or because they know of the backlash that comes from cancel culture. 

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Are the creators saying these things because they actually believe that way or because they know of the backlash that comes from cancel culture. 

Because in the future it may come back to haunt them. They are apologising for the benefit of themselves not others.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's a joke about the stereotype of the British saying sorry a lot for no reason, nothing more.

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Because in the future it may come back to haunt them. They are apologising for the benefit of themselves not others.

In some cases you might be right, fairly cynical to assume that everything someone says is a mask just to appeal to their target audience, I'm glad I'm not quite that jaded and have some faith people try to just be decent humans ;) 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure why representation is being framed like a negative, and you should probably reflect on how that looks on that back of your ludicrous claims that you need to apologise for being a straight white male. 

It's because the characters and thus the casting should fit the story. What we get these days is clearly casting based on quotas. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In some cases you might be right, fairly cynical to assume that everything someone says is a mask just to appeal to their target audience, I'm glad I'm not quite that jaded and have some faith people try to just be decent humans ;) 

This us the film industry we're talking about here. 

Â