Transgenderism

Chindie

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Because in the future it may come back to haunt them. They are apologising for the benefit of themselves not others.

It's almost certainly this. They want to stay on Netflix to get their annual syndication payments. So they're financially motivated to say things they've been advised to by their media departments. 

• Like 1

must be so shit to be black or gay etc and know that apparently the only reason you get hired for anything is quotas. Must be a quota, must be PC, must be the ONLY POSSIBLE REASON you've been hired. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

edit - can't be arsed.

You seem most worked up by this. I think it's great that there is more diversity in film and TV shows being made. It's great and long overdue. My issue lies with the fact that you can no longer make a show that isn't required to have a set representation of different groups unless that is entirely of minority groups.

The pendulum has swung too far the other way and that is always bad. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

You seem most worked up by this. I think it's great that there is more diversity in film and TV shows being made. It's great and long overdue. My issue lies with the fact that you can no longer make a show that isn't required to have a set representation of different groups unless that is entirely of minority groups.

You’ve entirely made that up.

these creators are talking about their own work and what they’d change.

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

must be so shit to be black or gay etc and know that apparently the only reason you get hired for anything is quotas. Must be a quota, must be PC, must be the ONLY POSSIBLE REASON you've been hired. 

What a ludicrous statement. Identity politics to its core this. People can only be defined by one two or maybe three words. 

What gender are you. What sexuality are you. What race are you. You as a person can only be defined as this now and you must join this set group of people based on these easily identified things.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Why do you need a cast of all white people in a show? 

( Also, I'm pretty sure if you scoured the billions of shows on netflix and prime etc you will still find that most of the shows will most of the time have a cast that is mostly white. )

So what if we're going through a period where there's an attempt and a focus on a select few high profile shows to redress the balance?

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

there is an obsession with representation in almost all media that comes from the US these days? 

That's fairly noticeable, I think.

I guess it's for a number of reasons. Networks want sales and audiences and profit. Shows that depict "people like us" are popular, and America is very diverse, so "representation" of different types of people seems to tick commercial boxes in that regard.

Then, I agree, you've got the creative industries and Hollywood which are perhaps much more liberal and sensitive, overall, than other sectors to liberal criticisms and culture battles.

At times it can grate, I think, when the desire to exactly fit a particular set of currently popular virtues is the prime vibe you get from a programme or film. But that doesn't necessarily mean the values are wrong, it's more about the signalling "look at us, we're placing different people just like you asked"  rather than "look at this great drama/comedy we made".

But looking at the past, it's not like there weren't underlying "themes" to film or TV - there were all sorts of ridiculous and wrong stereotype castings around different nationalities and ethnic groups that were far more egregious than the current "woke" stuff.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

What a ludicrous statement. Identity politics to its core this. People can only be defined by one two or maybe three words. 

What gender are you. What sexuality are you. What race are you. You as a person can only be defined as this now and you must join this set group of people based on these easily identified things.

Yet you seem incredibly interested in what gender, sexuality and race you’re watching…

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Why do you need a cast of all white people in a show? 

( Also, I'm pretty sure if you scoured the billions of shows on netflix and prime etc you will still find that most of the shows will most of the time have a cast that is mostly white. )

So what if we're going through a period where there's an attempt and a focus on a select few high profile shows to redress the balance?

Why would you need a cast of all black people in a show? Or all Korean people in a show? 

If I wrote a script set in Europe where the population is almost entirely white Europeans. The cast being all white is just normal.

If a script was set in Korea it would be normal for the entire cast to be all Korean

If the script was written wet in Africa or a majority black neighborhood in America it would make sense if the entire cast was Black

It all depends on what where and when the script and story is based and what it's about.

And it's not even "people are overrepresented", it's "you can't find many shows that have specifically excluded everyone but white actors"

Considering the demographics of the US, this isn't particularly surprising.

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

edit - can't be arsed.

I think can’t be arsed is the only reasonable response at this stage.

London Pride last weekend, I spent a fair bit of time knocking around Soho pubs, not one person demanded I apologise.

Equally, if people want to get offended by media gossip surrounding a now discontinued US comedy franchise, that is their absolute right.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

London Pride last weekend, I spent a fair bit of time knocking around Soho pubs, not one person demanded I apologise.

Can’t even drink that anymore now it’s been taken over 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Why would you need a cast of all black people in a show? Or all Korean people in a show? 

If I wrote a script set in Europe where the population is almost entirely white Europeans. The cast being all white is just normal.

If a script was set in Korea it would be normal for the entire cast to be all Korean

If the script was written wet in Africa or a majority black neighborhood in America it would make sense if the entire cast was Black

It all depends on what where and when the script and story is based and what it's about.

And yet you're original example of not being able to make an all white show now was It's Always Sunny, set in South Philadelphia with a 50% white* population.

*Non-hispanic, since Americans don't think Spanish people can be white

Quiet day at work, so I scrolled through IMDB's page of new shows being released this year. I got one!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14586350/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

A couple of black extras appearing in single scenes here and there, but a perfect, pure white main cast. We can all sleep easy.

Took a while to be fair, I nearly had a couple of hits, but then there was always one token minority ruining it.

Â