Transgenderism

Chindie

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Was my thoughts exactly. We just have to apologise for everything because something else we do and say now will obviously be not PC in a decade and we need to apologise for it. 

We currently have to apologise for being straight white males. We have special privileges we need to apologise for. I assume white gay people will need to apologise in a decade and so on. Cis gender women will be the ones in 20 years etc..

Much like your comments on Obi Wan, which you hadn't seen, it's possible that a lot of this stuff is only happening in your imagination!

Edited by Rolta

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I don't. But the people who make TV shows clearly do 

I think that's accurate, more or less. And overdue, as per my previous post really. When the #BLM started, it was very noticeable how advertisers and adverts started containing many more black actors all of a sudden. The mix of social pressure and pure financial self interest made that happen - there's definitely a lot of TV companies, businesses etc. wanting to be seen to be on the right side of the issue, and if that means (and it does) that more actors from different backgrounds or characteristics get work, then that's a good thing - jobs on merit, not on "traditional" (i.e. out of date) values.

It's not a negative to want to reflect society's make up, though it's far better for it to be a natural thing than for it to be transparently forced or done for "cosmetic" reasons. edit - by that I mean it's better, clearly if employers (e.g. TV co.s) believe in treating people equally, rather than give the appearance of treating people equally, without actually believing it's right.

I think the writers/producers of a show like “Friends” are more likely to acknowledge failings of the show years later because it is still really popular and is still being discovered by new audiences. And these audiences are more likely to be younger and have a different view on some things compared to the audience watching it at the time when it was first broadcast.

They might (probably would) still look back and say “Yeah we could have done that better” if the show wasn’t being rediscovered by new audiences. But I think it’s sustained popularity means they’re more likely to do so.

We’ve seen similar with Lucas and Walliams acknowledging blacking up for in their shows, David Baddiel acknowledged he shouldn’t have got made up like Jason Lee. 

They were right to acknowledge their error in hindsight. It’s not something to get indignant about them doing so then and it’s not something to get indignant about Kauffman doing so now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

You seem most worked up by this. I think it's great that there is more diversity in film and TV shows being made. It's great and long overdue. My issue lies with the fact that you can no longer make a show that isn't required to have a set representation of different groups unless that is entirely of minority groups.

The pendulum has swung too far the other way and that is always bad. 

Agree with this, see the adverts lately. Diversity is good, but you can tell some are trying far to hard, like Sky.

I would be interested in what are the causes of transgenderism. And if identified does it make sense to try and reverse the effects? eg as a hypothetical, if estrogen mimics in our drinking water affect certain people at critical moments in their development and nudges people's hormonal balances etc. 

Edited by fruitvilla
missed "are"

People need to remember with these threads, there is a right and wrong. Diversity and moreso racism are apparently not complex issues. There are certain people who will think they are right about all and we should just agree rather than have our differing opinions, or we will just be forced corrected.

22 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I would be interested in what the causes of transgenderism. And if identified does it make sense to try and reverse the effects? eg as a hypothetical, if estrogen mimics in our drinking water affect certain people at critical moments in their development and nudges people's hormonal balances etc. 

er no.

3 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

er no what?

What I think you are asking is, does drinking water 'turn' people transgender - which the logical answer is "er, no."

Maybe you believe Alex Jones when he says the frogs are being turned gay by the water? In which case again, er no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What I think you are asking is, does drinking water 'turn' people transgender - which the logical answer is "er, no."

If you thought I was asking that then your answer makes sense. But I was not.

6 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Before reading that yesterday I never knew 'Chandler's dad' was meant to be a trans character.

Have you ever seen the show?

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Was my thoughts exactly. We just have to apologise for everything because something else we do and say now will obviously be not PC in a decade and we need to apologise for it. 

We currently have to apologise for being straight white males. We have special privileges we need to apologise for. I assume white gay people will need to apologise in a decade and so on. Cis gender women will be the ones in 20 years etc..

Absolute daily mail GBNews nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you ever seen the show?

Pretty sure I've seen every episode. I just assumed the character was a drag queen. Someone made a good point earlier about attending Chandler's wedding as a woman making it obvious it wasn't a retrospective plot choice. I guess me being a teenager from a small town before it was a hot topic I completely missed this.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Pretty sure I've seen every episode. I just assumed the character was a drag queen. Someone made a good point earlier about attending Chandler's wedding as a woman making it obvious it wasn't a retrospective plot choice. I guess me being a teenager from a small town before it was a hot topic I completely missed this.

Yeah sorry I misread the posts and thought you were saying you didn’t realise he was any form of transgender/drag/transvestite

my bad. Ignore me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

This thread has gone so far off topic we're about 5 minutes away from someone complaining about Sainsbury's having a black family celebrating Christmas on an advert.

Its a good debate from what i can see 

Â