Transgenderism

Chindie

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a good debate from what i can see 

I guess the 1,000th time you find yourself reading the old 'you can't even be a straight, white man nowadays without having to apologise' it gets a little tiresome. Unfortunately, in the last few years, I've worked in hospitality environments that force me to listen to that kind of nonsense far too often so I have little patience for it.

I still really appreciate reading an opposing view coming from a place I'd not considered before and having to think about it.

• Like 2

I had to do some work stuff. Did we get to the bottom of who was forcing straight white guys to apologise?

I’m guessing it was the queer black illuminati wimmin that control the media?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolute daily mail GBNews nonsense 

Yeah, I'm pro European Irish. But of course pigeon hole anything you don't like with a group of people you can easily identify.  🤣

Edited by CVByrne

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I had to do some work stuff. Did we get to the bottom of who was forcing straight white guys to apologise?

I’m guessing it was the queer black illuminati wimmin that control the media?

As long as those queer black illuminati wimmin aren't insisting on all this because friends is making a comeback I'm OK with it 

Does seem strange that this is causing more debate than Friends lack of black characters 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah, I'm pro European Irish. But of course pigeon hole anything you don't like with a group of people you can easily identify.  🤣

I know plenty of pro-EU bigots. You shouldn't let your nationality define you.

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If the hat fits

It’s a good thing that the writer is reflecting on the prevailing attitudes and accepted views of what was ‘normal’ at the time, and being willing to grow and evolve. 

Willingness to learn and grow is very important in life and a lack of willingness to evolve is a large part of societal problems. Defiantly staying ignorant just because “it wasn’t that way in my day” or whatever justification is used is, at best pretty sad but in reality castrates society’s ability to modernize. That kind of ignorance is also easily manipulated by opportunistic politicians (see Trump) which compounds the stagnation of societal evolution. Those who disagree with this ignorance become exasperated and despondent and then we end up where we are now in the US with a culture war and very little middle  ground.

Bringing it back on topic, transgender representation in Friends was probably always as the butt of a joke (I can’t really recall.) I watched some of the show at the time and seem to remember that Chandler was quite often laughed at for possibly being gay. Why is that a problem. Well imagine you are a young gay person. All you ever see in media are insinuations that it’s funny or weird to be gay, you are never going to feel accepted or possibly even comfortable in your own skin.

If you are someone who is bothered by greater representation in media, then perhaps ask yourself why? Also ask yourself if you being  uncomfortable with greater representation is worse than a five year old that may not be cis-gender feeling ostracized from society. Does that five year old deserve to experience that just so you don’t feel uncomfortable?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I watched some of the show at the time and seem to remember that Chandler was quite often laughed at for possibly being gay. Why is that a problem. Well imagine you are a young gay person. All you ever see in media are insinuations that it’s funny or weird to be gay, you are never going to feel accepted or possibly even comfortable in your own skin.

Agree with your post generally. While I haven't seen it in well over a decade, I always remembered it as being fairly gay-friendly. The representation of Ross's lesbian wife always seemed fairly even-handed, and while there were some jokes about it, they usually came at Ross' expense, as an insecure ex-husband, worried his son might turn gay.

Whether I'd still have that opinion watching it ~20 years later, I can't say :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I guess the 1,000th time you find yourself reading the old 'you can't even be a straight, white man nowadays without having to apologise' it gets a little tiresome. Unfortunately, in the last few years, I've worked in hospitality environments that force me to listen to that kind of nonsense far too often so I have little patience for it.

I still really appreciate reading an opposing view coming from a place I'd not considered before and having to think about it.

Same, i like hearing opposing views it educates you and gives you another way to look at things.  😃

I openly admit to not being a expert in any capacity about the subject of transgenders so if i offend anyone its not intentional. I just dip in time to time as its a interesting subject

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Same, i like hearing opposing views it educates you and gives you another way to look at things.  😃

I openly admit to not being a expert in any capacity about the subject of transgenders so if i offend anyone its not intentional. I just dip in time to time as its a interesting subject

I definitely have my opinions on the matter that would offend people, but I don't think they'd add anything to the conversation so I keep them to myself.

I'm a lot less PC than a lot of people I've debated with on here would probably believe. I'm just generally happy to let others live their life, regardless of my personal views on a topic.

Apologies if I was a little short with you earlier. I meant nothing by it, I can be a little abrupt and I appreciate flippant comments translate better in person than over the internet!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I definitely have my opinions on the matter that would offend people, but I don't think they'd add anything to the conversation so I keep them to myself.

I'm a lot less PC than a lot of people I've debated with on here would probably believe. I'm just generally happy to let others live their life, regardless of my personal views on a topic.

Apologies if I was a little short with you earlier. I meant nothing by it, I can be a little abrupt and I appreciate flippant comments translate better in person than over the internet!

No apology needed mate, thanks. Respect that- same let people live their lives.  

I appreciate this subject can be controversial as people  have all kinds of opinions on it

9 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm the same, I have personal views on all this binary, transgender, gay subjects same as many, which would probably offend. But I'm more than happy for letting people live how they want to live, an I will treat them as I would treat anyone else. But I don't enjoy people trying to force there opinion on me or try change my view, cause it'll never make no difference to how I feel about it.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm the same, I have personal views on all this binary, transgender, gay subjects same as many, which would probably offend. But I'm more than happy for letting people live how they want to live, an I will treat them as I would treat anyone else. But I don't enjoy people trying to force there opinion on me or try change my view, cause it'll never make no difference to how I feel about it.

Dare I say, discussion forums might not be for you.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Dare I say, discussion forums might not be for you.

Why? I thought forums were a place for discussion, not a place to force other people to agree with other peoples views, or be forced to change there own.

I think you may need to keep to the football thread, if you think you are here to teach and educate.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Why? I thought forums were a place for discussion, not a place to force other people to agree with other peoples views, or be forced to change there own.

I think you may need to keep to the football thread, if you think you are here to teach and educate.

It's not about forcing, but if you're going into political discussions with a completely closed mind ("it'll never make no difference"..), what's the point, it's a waste of everybody's time. If you're unwilling to consider other views and closed off to having your mind changed, discussions serious issues is just an exercise in frustration.

I didn't say that I think I'm here to teach and educate, you're putting words in my fingers. I come to the bolitics threads to have a fairly open debate in good faith, often with an initial prejudice, but with a genuinely open mind when people make good points, and I've been put right in here on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Example of a company trying to hard, it's just so obvious.

the reaction to this advert enraged me so i'm afraid this comment has touched a nerve

there are thousands black families in the UK that would've been buzzing to finally be represented in a christmas advert, rather than the same white faces sitting around with their turkeys.

have a think, how would you feel if you grew up with pretty much every tv show, film and advert having no positively portrayed white families on it. thats what black people have had to endure.

as you mentioned above, it sounds like your views cannot be changed and this isn't the racism thread anyway...i just needed to comment on this and i suggest you just take a second to think about whether it really is a big deal that companies are looking for more diversity in their adverts

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not about forcing, but if you're going into political discussions with a completely closed mind ("it'll never make no difference"..), what's the point, it's a waste of everybody's time. If you're unwilling to consider other views and closed off to having your mind changed, discussions serious issues is just an exercise in frustration.

I didn't say that I think I'm here to teach and educate, you're putting words in my fingers. I come to the bolitics threads to have a fairly open debate in good faith, often with an initial prejudice, but with a genuinely open mind when people make good points, and I've been put right in here on more than one occasion.

We all have different views on the Villa. Take Gerrard for example. Fans who are unsure he is going to succeed have that opinion. Debating it rarely changes there view on him.

I like to hear other people's views and opinions and I respect them. But I doubt its going to change mine, so im unsure what the issue is. No one is getting hurt or disrespected here.

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the reaction to this advert enraged me so i'm afraid this comment has touched a nerve

there are thousands black families in the UK that would've been buzzing to finally be represented in a christmas advert, rather than the same white faces sitting around with their turkeys.

have a think, how would you feel if you grew up with pretty much every tv show, film and advert having no positively portrayed white families on it. thats what black people have had to endure.

as you mentioned above, it sounds like your views cannot be changed and this isn't the racism thread anyway...i just needed to comment on this and i suggest you just take a second to think about whether it really is a big deal that companies are looking for more diversity in their adverts

I totally respect you view, but to say black people would be buzzing to be represented in a Christmas advert is a bit too far for me. I agree we needed more diversity on TV, but its going a bit to far as always with the media.

Â