Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

16 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we're looking at good Championship players, Adam Armstrong might be worth a look. Got 16 goals last season, and another 16 in 24 already this season. Still only 23 as well.

But would Blackburn let Armstrong go when they are on a promotion charge themselves?

Dael Fry is someone who would be an ideal replacement for Engels. He's a big defender and is a rock at the heart of the Middlesborough defence at the minute and I think he could make the step up to PL level from what I've seen of him.

Again, Boro also in the play-off race for promotion so I doubt they would be letting him go cheap either.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But would Blackburn let Armstrong go when they are on a promotion charge themselves?

Dael Fry is someone who would be an ideal replacement for Engels. He's a big defender and is a rock at the heart of the Middlesborough defence at the minute and I think he could make the step up to PL level from what I've seen of him.

Again, Boro also in the play-off race for promotion so I doubt they would be letting him go cheap either.

Blackburn are 11 points off the top 2 and 5 points off the playoffs but played a game more

2 hours ago, useless said:

I think we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that just because that Watkins has been a good signing from the championship as a striker, then any striker that scores goals in that division will also be a good signing, scoring goals at championship level doesn't automatically mean being able to score at premier league level as we've often seen with strikers making the step up in the past, with Watkins watching him play for Brentford it was obvious he could make the step up not just because of his goal scoring ability but because of his all round play.

Completely agree but not only that but Championship players are not cheap.

We paid 28m for Watkins, rising up to 33m even though he'd only played one season as a striker is the 2nd tier of football.  I know it's also a risk buying players from abroad like the Joelintons and Hallers of this world so I dont know what the answer is but jeez the Championship is expensive.  Even to the point that any Brentford player we are linked with is 20m starting price, it's nuts.

I wonder what the next step is for the board. Do we keep looking at young players from the Championship, which while pushing you up the table might have a ceiling or do we nab some more established quality if possible. 

I saw that Luka Jovic was being released by Real Madrid whose still only 23, obviously very talented but struggled since being at Madrid.  They brought him for 55m but likely to sell him for less....looking at press seems Wolves have an interest in him. He moves and plays like he could fit in at the Villa lovely if he was interested in coming to the PL.  I know he broke Covid protocol but dont know much about him otherwise but a talented kid.

It's all a risk at the end of the day but I'll be interested to see what the next steps are of the board.  Interesting to see how FFP affects us because some say we are close to limit, others say we have capacity shown by that we had money to buy another striker before the last window closed plus the expectation of our likely league position this season.  Obviously it will be somewhere in the middle of that especially because of Covid impacts on finances but I guess we'll see. 

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

With our recruitment system set up as it now is, I don’t mind who we sign. I feel that we’ll now get more signings right than we will wrong. So I’m not concerned who the player is or where he comes from, I just know that if Dean Smith wants him then that’s good enough for me. 

Looked you have gone a jinxed it now.  It's all on you if it goes wrong now! 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

If we're looking at good Championship players, Adam Armstrong might be worth a look. Got 16 goals last season, and another 16 in 24 already this season. Still only 23 as well.

im sure id seen somewhere that newcastle have got a decent sell on clause on him which would inflate his value at a guess

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

With our recruitment system set up as it now is, I don’t mind who we sign. I feel that we’ll now get more signings right than we will wrong. So I’m not concerned who the player is or where he comes from, I just know that if Dean Smith wants him then that’s good enough for me. 

hopefully the main thing is fans will realise that most of them will need time, the suso thread would make for interesting reading now

i think the market we're shopping in wont have many smash it out the park instant PL stars on day one (and thats ok)

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

hopefully the main thing is fans will realise that most of them will need time, the suso thread would make for interesting reading now

i think the market we're shopping in wont have many smash it out the park instant PL stars on day one (and thats ok)

Talking about Tonev again...we are still looking for some of the balls 😉

I agree though re your post, I think any player that comes in we have to give time, which is not something fans do.  We only ever give time to players coming through the ranks. 

Players coming through the ranks get endless time, players from lower divisions get slightly less than they should do and foreign players get virtually no time for some reason.

Davis has had endless time and constant excuses from injuries, not a fair run in the team, he has so many other attributes.  Whereas Traore got hit before he even played and again after a few brief appearances.  Wes had August to December....literally no time, in a foreign country, struggling team, couldnt speak the language and was still young.  Even Luiz got stick because he was talented but not impacting midfield early last season and now is a fans favourite. 

We seem to love or not love (wont say hate) foreign players, seems little in between but home grown players get all the love whatever happens.  I know the human emotion is to protect our own but I think we need to give some of our other players time.  Wes, I'm a fan of as people know, and he signed a 5 year contract, not a 4 month contract so give him time when he comes back and see how he is next season when he's fully fit before judging him.  Same with Traore, he started slow but had a few good games recently.  My point is with anybody we buy in the future we have to give time to settle to really see the benefit.  

• Like 1

Well no games, things are boring at the moment so....

If you were going to fill out the squad football manager style who would you buy with a budget of... 200m

I’ll go first,

In

Edouard - Celtic 30m

Brandt - Dortmund 22.5m

Buendia - Norwich 35m

Olise - Reading 8m

Soumare - PSV 15m

Bissouma - Brighton 35m

Aarons - Norwich 25m

Wijndal - AZ 10m

Tuanzebe - Man Utd 10m

Simakan - Strasbourg 20m

Total - 210.5

Out 

Kalinic 0m

Engels 5m

Taylor 0m

Elmo 0m

Guilbert 5m

Nakamba 5m

Hourihane 0m

Lansbury 0m

Barkley 0m

Davis loan

Trezeguet 12m

ElGhazi 12m

Total 39m

Net 171.5

I’m bored 

• Like 1

@paul514 200m....hmm I would focus on quality few buys

40m Luka Jovic

50m Dayton Upamecano 

30m Kieran Tierney

50m Declan Rice

20m Julian Brandt

8m Michael Olise

2m for the whole Birmingham City squad (over paying)

No idea about prices.  Feel I have undervalued Tierney and Rice but that defeats my budget 🤣

Edited by nick76
I appreciate that most of these players wouldn’t be interested in coming to us.

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

40m Luka Jovic

50m Dayton Upamecano 

30m Kieran Tierney

50m Declan Rice

20m Julian Brandt

8m Michael Olise

No idea about prices.  Feel I have undervalued Tierney and Rice but that defeats my budget 🤣

Not sure I agree on your definition of ‘few’ either. 🤣

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

40m Luka Jovic

50m Dayton Upamecano 

30m Kieran Tierney

50m Declan Rice

20m Julian Brandt

8m Michael Olise

You would

be wishing for a couple of them, I thought jovic was going cheaper than that 

• Like 1