Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I've never been a fan of loan signings, mainly because when they are out of form they never get dropped. The big clubs insist you play their players.

We looked a really good team with Jack in the middle and were destroying teams whilst Barkley was out the side with injury before covid kicked in.. since we've come back we've been awful and Ross has started every game

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I've never been a fan of loan signings, mainly because when they are out of form they never get dropped. The big clubs insist you play their players.

We looked a really good team with Jack in the middle and were destroying teams whilst Barkley was out the side with injury before covid kicked in.. since we've come back we've been awful and Ross has started every game

Agree 100%. We're simply better without Barkley imo

• Like 1

Just now, Villa 59 said:

Agree 100%. We're simply better without Barkley imo

I don't know if we are better without him.

He has that quality that can determine games (scoring against Leicester and Southampton) but offers little defensively. In games where we are on top in midfield, he can be a real asset. In games where we need to grind and graft he's a luxury we can't afford.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

He has that quality that can determine games (scoring against Leicester and Southampton) but offers little defensively. In games where we are on top in midfield, he can be a real asset. In games where we need to grind and graft he's a luxury we can't afford.

I would say that we're better without him in 'most' games. I think that's a fair comment and I stand by it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but he was also present in several of our best performances and wins of the season. He was definitely poor last night but I think it would be unfair to put the post Covid bad form entirely on his shoulders. I think it’s been a combo of too little training, too many games in a short space of time and yes Barkley’s reintroduction.

Plus we also shouldn’t ignore the fact that Decembers fixtures were largely against bottom half sides and the post Covid teams have mostly been against better teams. 

We need to get through the Arsenal game, rest  and regroup and yes consider what our best starting 11 now is (although surely this would differ depending on the opposition).

32 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

We're working towards having a squad that can give us the options we need to compete against different styles, but we're not there yet. Barkley should be a lot more use against Arsenal, so he'll probably start again - when we come up against another team like West Ham he'll need to be benched for someone like Sanson imo.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He needs to be accommodated way more than we're able to because he doesn't do defensive work. I think we'd be a lot better off with Sanson on, and McGinn in Barkley's position. 

EDIT - to add to this, I think he's come here wanting to be one of the focal points/stars, when really we need more of a supporting role from someone in his position. Someone eager to offer an option, hassle the defence, make useful runs etc. so we can get the best out of Jack, Traore and Watkins. 

McGinn can't play in barkley's position. He just stands between the striker and the full back. 

We have been over this in his thread last season. If mcginn isn't playing deep then he can't dribble and he can't play his long balls os there is no point in him being in the team. 

• Like 1

Great player on his day and he is out of rhythm currently. Won’t judge him just yet as we don’t know if he is recovering from Covid or something .... Do feel we can get better or as good prospects for less though ... Let’s see how the next 10 games pan out .

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

I'd be 99% certain that there is no clause in his loan that he has to play if fit. He's playing because the only alternative a lad just in the door. 

Edited by villa89

I'm ok with him underperforming or not fitting the system - what frustrates me is constantly playing him (and McGinn) to the detriment of the team in the hope that he finds his form. Not good enough. I don't care what he's done or what his name is, b e n c h him.

• Like 1

we were playing well with trezeguet and el ghazi and traore playing. Barkley returns, and ok, scores winner v southampton, but in the other games ( and even in that one ) he's looked off the pace. Not worth ruining our season to keep on playing him. At least give him a proper break. A couple of weeks off, and then bring him on via the bench instead. Mcginn has offered **** all for too long now as well. Coasting in this side. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

At least give him a proper break. A couple of weeks off, and then bring him on via the bench instead. Mcginn has offered **** all for too long now as well. Coasting in this side. 

We don't have that luxury. They both need a break but won't get one. 

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

Positive thing is that his valuation drops a million quid every time he plays. 

At this rate Chelsea will be giving us £5m to offload him 

I'd want more than £5m mate :)

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'd be 99% certain that there is no clause in his loan that he has to play if fit. He's playing because the only alternative a lad just in the door. 

It really isn't, or have you conveniently forgotten how good we were before the covid outbreak?

Grealish had been playing in the 10 position and El Ghazi was doing well on the left, I'm not his biggest fan but he was doing well. It was appalling how a player who scored 4 in 5 was just kicked out the team to accommodate an unfit loan signing. Jacob Ramsey was also knocking on the door for a start. I don't even think Sansom is seen as a number 10 player.

• Like 1

I was really disappointed by the way he didn't do more for the first Lingard goal. I'm not sure whether he was out on his feet or what, but as others have said I expected him to at least make a last gasp dive to try and block the shot. Maybe I'm being harsh (he could have been further away than looks on TV) but he just seemed to accept that Lingard would get the shot away.

You could see he was frustrated with how he was playing - but his head seemed to drop very quickly.

One of the guys with real offensive quality that you cannot have too many of. Was poor yesterday, but without him, we only got Jack. We need Barkley to keep playing and get back to where he was before the injury.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

One of the guys with real offensive quality that you cannot have too many of. Was poor yesterday, but without him, we only got Jack. We need Barkley to keep playing and get back to where he was before the injury.

Do you think people will have the patience to watch him huffing and puffing whilst offering very little in the meantime?

Â