Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

2 minutes ago, AXD said:

Being devils advocate maybe, but the first paragraph is like clutching at straws when you are on a losing streak. Creating good chances means nothing if you don’t put them in.

the last thing you mention is a fair point as is showing the effort the team puts in.

To simplify it for you It’s telling you do you need to change the tactics to create more chances or to work on finishing 

We now have 2 of the toughest away games we will play all season and by Jan 2 we could have lost them both and

we may be doubting ourselves again. However I don't think either of those scenarios will have happened and I think

we will have to admit to ourselves that we have become one of the very best outfits in the country. We fear no-one

and we are feared by virtually everyone. I now honestly believe we can finish in the top four and have a great chance

of even better. I could be wrong but the signs don't agree. We are a very very good side!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We now have 2 of the toughest away games we will play all season and by Jan 2 we could have lost them both and

we may be doubting ourselves again. However I don't think either of those scenarios will have happened and I think

we will have to admit to ourselves that we have become one of the very best outfits in the country. We fear no-one

and we are feared by virtually everyone. I now honestly believe we can finish in the top four and have a great chance

of even better. I could be wrong but the signs don't agree. We are a very very good side!!

I obviously want us to win the next two games, I won’t doubt us even if we lose both. 

I honestly don’t think we are top four material, I think top 8 would be seriously a great season if that happens.  I think some fans are getting ahead of themselves and if we lose a few games they will have a breakdown.  

We need to keep it in perspective of where we are and where we were six months ago, we haven’t leapt that far yet to be top four.

Lets enjoy how well we are playing, that we are again a force to be reckoned with and enjoy the rest of the season.  Wherever we end up is going to be great but we are going to hit bumps along the way, we are still a new team, finding their way and a very thin squad.  

We are on form at the moment, odds are we’ll have a bad run at some point and our form will suffer, that’s just football and we’ll learn from that and grow stronger.

Lets just enjoy what we are doing and less focus on real lofty goals or vice versa if it happens, which sometimes seems the Villa fans way...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I honestly don’t think we are top four material, I think top 8 would be seriously a great season if that happens.  I think some fans are getting ahead of themselves and if we lose a few games they will have a breakdown.  

Agreed - but I haven’t seen more than one or two people max even suggest we are ACTUALLY challenging for a title. Top half of the table is still the goal I reckon. 11th-12th also totally fine.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I obviously want us to win the next two games, I won’t doubt us even if we lose both. 

We need to keep it in perspective of where we are and where we were six months ago, we haven’t leapt that far yet to be top four.

Lets enjoy how well we are playing, that we are again a force to be reckoned with and enjoy the rest of the season.  Wherever we end up is going to be great but we are going to hit bumps along the way, we are still a new team, finding their way and a very thin squad.  

We are on form at the moment, odds are we’ll have a bad run at some point and our form will suffer, that’s just football and we’ll learn from that and grow stronger.

Lets just enjoy what we are doing and less focus on real lofty goals or vice versa if it happens, which sometimes seems the Villa fans way...

I respectfully decline

• Like 1

Thought XG was garbage til I sat down and read the methodology on how it's calculated. Like all stats it's not meant to be a cure all but it definitely gives you a good idea on the overall quality of play for a given team. 

If you slide over to the Sheffield United thread I posted a good example of how XG can be a good predictor on future performances. 

The good news for Villa is that XG has us as the third best team in the Prem. Of course with our thin bench it may be difficult to maintain that level of play over 38 games but it definitely shows how well, presently, Dean has us playing. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I am fully expecting a reaction from Chelsea. 

Or are you hoping for one? You’ve been extremely quiet since the win yesterday. 

Tbf they can’t be any worse than they were against Arsenal. But on the other hand as a team they are not actually that good. They just have many great individual players. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If you slide over to the Sheffield United thread I posted a good example of how XG can be a good predictor on future performances.

I remember the beginning of the season having the misfortune in reading comments from a Sheffield United forum of a pre-match thread about Villa. 

What a sour bunch they were about us on the back of their one good season in the PL, I'm now quite happy they look like finishing bottom place. A**holes.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I remember the beginning of the season having the misfortune in reading comments from a Sheffield United forum of a pre-match thread about Villa. 

What a sour bunch they were about us on the back of their one good season in the PL, I'm now quite happy they look like finishing bottom place. A**holes.

You didn’t have to travel far to read about how good both Sheffield United and Wilder were.  I do think they are better than the current position suggests but anybody could see that they massively over achieved last season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Injuries and suspensions will dictate our season. We seem to have hit the magic formula of late, and it’s been coming a while: tight defence, fluid and dynamic midfield, potent and broad attacking options. No emphasis on one player, everyone playing their part, confidence and self belief growing. Without getting carried away, with those around us dropping points, it’s got a Leicester City feel about it. I cannot emphasise how much of a handful we are offensively at the moment. If it carries on who knows....

Â