Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

32 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I don’t think Europe isn’t possible, it’s about whether we can maintain the physical and mental requirements at a high enough level for the whole season. That’s the million dollar question that will be answered over the next couple of months of the season.

I'm sure Leicester fans didn't think they'd win the league this far in after surviving relegation by the skin of their teeth the season before

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Smith isn't going to play 2 strikers. Ollie is the main man. Wesley will get chance back from injury and Traore has excellent record at CF. We're not getting another big money CF

I didn't say we would, but it may be in consideration next season, it's going to depend on were we finish, how Wesley comes back,  or if we sneak into Europe all bets would be off.

27 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not sure about that. I'd love us to win the FA Cup. Knock Liverpool out and get a good draw in round 4 and with this side, anything is now possible. 

I want a f****** trophy and don’t ever want to see us throw in the towel on one any given year.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm sure Leicester fans didn't think they'd win the league this far in after surviving relegation by the skin of their teeth the season before

I'm sure they didn't, but Leicester winning was a perfect storm where the the other top clubs were off their best for the season for whatever reasons. This isn't the case this season as most other seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I'm sure they didn't, but Leicester winning was a perfect storm where the the other top clubs were off their best for the season for whatever reasons. This isn't the case this season as most other seasons.

I beg to differ. I think this is pretty identical to that Leicester season. Nobody looks invincible and some of the top sides are struggling. 

Whilst I think a top 6 finish is unlikely, it's certainly not impossible and we are currently above Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs in the table.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I beg to differ. I think this is pretty identical to that Leicester season. Nobody looks invincible and some of the top sides are struggling. 

Whilst I think a top 6 finish is unlikely, it's certainly not impossible and we are currently above Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs in the table.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, I will concede their may be some comparisons, but don't see all top 4-5 clubs having an off season all at once. Liverpool may not be invincible like last season, but they are still very hard to beat and will be consistently good enough to win the league. Both the Manchester clubs will also be there towards the end of the season.

I think we are having a great season, long may it continue, we just need a lot of things to go our way and the next couple of weeks will give us a better idea of our position in the league, starting with Manure this Friday.

• Like 2

Just now, QldVilla said:

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, I will concede their may be some comparisons, but don't see all top 4-5 clubs having an off season all at once. Liverpool may not be invincible like last season, but they are still very hard to beat and will be consistently good enough to win the league. Both the Manchester clubs will also be there towards the end of the season.

I think we are having a great season, long may it continue, we just need a lot of things to go our way and the next couple of weeks will give us a better idea of our position in the league, starting with Manure this Friday.

I think if we get good results against United and Spurs and Everton we have to be in the conversation for top 4. Our next 11 fixtures after that are:

Burnley (A)

Southampton (A)

West Ham (H)

Arsenal (H)

Brighton (A)

Leicester (H)

Leeds (A) 

Wolves (H)

Newcastle (A)

Sheffield United (A)

Fulham (H)

A lot can change between now and then, but the way we're playing, you'd back us to do well in that run.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Not sure about that. I'd love us to win the FA Cup. Knock Liverpool out and get a good draw in round 4 and with this side, anything is now possible. 

Liverpool will be playing an under 9 team, Klopp hates the domestic cups. Midfield of Barkley, Luiz and Ramsey should be good enough 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

BTW anyone still wish we were in the championship. Can remember a fair few on here and elsewhere saying it was more fun staying down and winning games. Think @AVTuco was a big one.

18/19 was eventually good of course but it's more fun doing it against the best teams in the land.

Well winning up here is more fun of course. But I still think that continuous winning in the Championship beats continuous losing in the Prem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Leicester didn’t stay up by the skin of their teeth the season prior to them winning the league. They were dead and buried around Easter time, may even have been bottom early April. They then went on an amazing run winning most games. The 2015/16 season, one we’d all like to forget as Villa fans, was for Leicester a continuation of the end of the previous season. 

There are certainly similarities in the turn round in form they achieved at the end of 2014/15 and we managed last season. Being Villa we left it to the last day for dramatic effect. We should be sponsored by Propranolol (Beta blockers)!

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool will be playing an under 9 team, Klopp hates the domestic cups. Midfield of Barkley, Luiz and Ramsey should be good enough 

I don’t blame them, the first team got a right good tanking against us. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Leicester won the league with 81 points and Arsenal 2nd with 71. The last CL spot was 66. 

There is no way it's that low this season. Even 60 points doesn't usually get you a Europa spot. 

I reckon we'll finish 50-55 points. 

We already have half of that and were not even halfway through the season.

Either something is going to pick up somewhere but Liverpool are currently on course for 81 points. Top 4 right now if things continue like this is 73 points and we're currently on course for 71.

I'd guess that Liverpool will win it with 85/86 points and 4th place will be about 62 points.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

The whole purpose of being a fan is to live with hope and excitement, that’s ultimately the reason we support our team. If people aren’t secretly allowing themselves to dream of top4 right now then what’s the point of being a fan. Even if it’s short lived surely everyone must have it somewhere in their minds. Navigate the next 3 games well and it’s certainly on. 

Exactly this. In all probability we won’t finish top 4 or 6, but... what if we did manage it. That’s an exciting thought, and a nice thing to contemplate. I don’t buy the “expect us to be shite and anything else is a bonus” thought process. Optimism is a much more pleasurable mindset. 

• Like 2

The bookies do a handicap premier league winner. Ignorant to our new signings they went Villa +50 points at 25 quid at 16/1 (for comparison West Brom were +52 ffs , fulham +54, Leeds only +40, Liverpool +5). So as far im concerned we are absolutely pissing the premier league.

• Like 1

Â