Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

5 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

League Tables based on xG

Am i the only one who is not a fan of this xG and xA? It strikes me as a made up statistic to have something to talk about. I understand the calculations behind it, but treating goalscoring opportunities like exact science seems weird.
To me there are already enough stats that can seem important, but don’t really matter. eg possession is obviously important, you want to have the ball, but I remember our first season under Lambert where we won a number of games with 30-40%

I guess these stats will become more and more mainstream, but it feels ‘American’, over analysing everything in sports.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Klopp is namedropping Villa saying WBA didnt have time to prepare for us but they had a week to prepare for them. He sees us in his rearview and is bricking it

Klopp should have tried to score another goal....worked for us!

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

To be fair the doggers are by far the better team. Can’t wait to play spurs they have been so so poor the last 3 games 

I'm watching spurs now and I'm rubbing my hands at the prospect of playing them. I think we'll beat them. 

Just now, Lord Willard said:

I'm watching spurs now and I'm rubbing my hands at the prospect of playing them. I think we'll beat them. 

They really offer nothing if you don’t play a ludicrously high line and allow Son to run in behind. Teams have figured this out now and they’ve looked so average in December 

9 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Not sure, think we'll struggle if we go 1 down. Even 1 up I wouldn't be confident as both games last season still sting. Mourinho will certainly show us plenty of respect and they have very physical middle three.

I say this most weeks but would be good to have Barkley available! Will surely be back by middle of January.

It's really easy to deal with Spurs. Play deep, don't give them space in behind to go in front (and give them the opportunity to sit back for the rest of the game). They don't have any players to unlock defences that sit back.

Same with United. Don't give them space to counter. They don't have many ideas to break down teams when the onus is on them. 

The only one I'm confused about is Chelsea. How do we even approach that tomorrow? They don't play with any discernible tactics. Their game is just about blowing teams away with their superior firepower and scoring from set pieces.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's really easy to deal with Spurs. Play deep, don't give them space in behind to go in front (and give them the opportunity to sit back for the rest of the game). They don't have any players to unlock defences that sit back.

Same with United. Don't give them space to counter. They don't have many ideas to break down teams when the onus is on them. 

The only one I'm confused about is Chelsea. How do we even approach that tomorrow? They don't play with any discernible tactics. Their game is just about blowing teams away with their superior firepower and scoring from set pieces.

Don't let them counter as well. Werner, Pulisic and Hudson Odoi are all pace merchants. Abraham is always dangerous in the box though which is a worry. Hit them on the counter chillwell will attack and leave Thiago silva and Zouma against Watkins and he will beat them for pace easily. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Don't let them counter as well. Werner, Pulisic and Hudson Odoi are all pace merchants. Abraham is always dangerous in the box though which is a worry. Hit them on the counter chillwell will attack and leave Thiago silva and Zouma against Watkins and he will beat them for pace easily. 

Zouma is rapid, but I agree.

I'm worried Lampard will bring Haavertz in (watch him then have his best game of the season) and Ziyech becomes fit to start. He has the players to dominate teams but he's clueless on how to use them.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Zouma is rapid, but I agree.

I'm worried Lampard will bring Haavertz in (watch him then have his best game of the season) and Ziyech becomes fit to start. He has the players to dominate teams but he's clueless on how to use them.

Ziyech is the only one who scares me. Havertz is a bit crap from what I have seen. 

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yep can remember thw VP game where we parked our back 3 on the halfway line and they spent all game just chipping a long ball over the top and any one of Ali, Son, Moura would just run through and be one-on-one. Led to the penalty and eventual last minute winner. That was certainly one of our naive prem games and honestly thought DS would never learn from those type of games so delighted to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

Â