Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

We haven't taken even a point at Stamford Bridge since NYE 2011, a point today would be a brilliant result imo.

We had this after winning at Leicester and then Leeds and Southampton quickly bumped us back down to earth. And then after the Arsenal win we somehow lost to Brighton and West Ham.

It's that sort of season. It actually wouldn't shock me if we lost our next 4 and then went on a good run for next two months.

• Like 1

🦁, new page ⛷️.

If we can somehow manage a win then we will have already achived more points than I was expecting from the next five starting with the Palace game, two or three points from the next three games and I think we will have done well. Don't think Chelsea having been beat so comfortably by Arsenal will help our cause, they will be looking for a reaction.

Edited by useless

I’m still treating the current games remaining as though we need 15 points to be safe... 

Just can’t seem to get away from that way of thinking despite the obvious improvements in pretty much all departments. 

Taking something from the game today would be a fantastic result, but I think labelling it as 'miraculous' is an interesting point of view. 

Two good Premier League teams on a similar level, squad depth notwithstanding. One in form, the other out of it. We are probably favourites on paper. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I’m still treating the current games remaining as though we need 15 points to be safe... 

Just can’t seem to get away from that way of thinking despite the obvious improvements in pretty much all departments. 

That's not a bad thing, to me it means we think of each game as a cup final and really focus game by game.  I dont want to even think about the lofty heights that we could achieve, I like the mentally of focusing game by game and favourable outcomes will lead to favourable league position.  I sometimes think that thinking about big lofty positions we could take the eye off the ball (pardon the pun) and get away with ourselves and then lose momentum or miss some of the detail and gets us into trouble.  Focus on the next game and the bigger picture will take care of itself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't think Chelsea having been beat so comfortably by Arsenal will help our cause, they will be looking for a reaction.

So were Palace after their thumping by Liverpool. This Villa side looks better prepared game to game than most Villa sides from yesteryear and I expect a good showing today.

• Like 1

Look, us winning the title is of course incredibly unlikely (although probably still more likely than us going down at this point) but we're at the stage where with a couple of reinforcements we could make a genuine title challenge going into the second half of the season, injuries permitting.

League title would be sweet and only way I think we will push for it is if we bring a couple of players in who can be super subs.

We do need depth and our lads at this rate will certainly be shattered soon playing almost the same 11 to 13 guys throughout a whole season. 

We need a better bench.

Am loving our mere existence at the moment - it's a finger in the eye to the 'elite' clubs moaning about too many games in quick succession or not getting to have 6 subs to throw on from their mahoosive squads - everything Villa are doing is a complete counter point to their claims. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, useless said:

I think Chelsea will dismantle us with ease today teaching us a footballing lesson, will probably be a bit of a reality check and maybe spell out just how important Mings is to us.

Any kind of positive result would be a miraculous outcome, only way I can see it is if Grealish and Watkins are in sensational form and can help us match their scoring, both due a goal or two now.

That aged well 

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's amazing that I'm finding myself now hoping teams in the top 4 drop points as opposed to those just above the drop zone. It's just been a year you know!

Honestly don't even know what the bottom of the table looks like. Who is there now, no clue, but I know liverpool and Everton (our CAZOO title rivals) are currently 1 and 2. 

• Like 2

I had a feeling we'd draw 1-1, but I thought Watkins would get the goal, just had a feeling it was going to be exactly the same result as the Palace v Leicester, Wolves v Spurs, and Liverpool V Albion games. We're on a miraculous run of form at the moment, but I don't consider us title challengers, need to keep this form up for a good while longer yet to even be considered as champions league contenders.

If we finish top half we will have had a good season, although obviously even better if we can achieve more than that.

Just now, useless said:

I had a feeling we'd draw 1-1, but I thought Watkins would get the goal, just had a feeling it was going to be exactly the same result as the Palace v Leicester, Wolves v Spurs, and Liverpool V Albion games. We're on a miraculous run of form at the moment, but I don't consider us title challengers, need to keep this form up for a good while longer yet to even be considered as champions league contenders.

If we finish top half we will have had a good season, although obviously even better if we can achieve more than that.

Pesky twin brother stealing your login again and posting at end of page 59 I see.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â