Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

3 hours ago, AXD said:

Am i the only one who is not a fan of this xG and xA? It strikes me as a made up statistic to have something to talk about. I understand the calculations behind it, but treating goalscoring opportunities like exact science seems weird.
To me there are already enough stats that can seem important, but don’t really matter. eg possession is obviously important, you want to have the ball, but I remember our first season under Lambert where we won a number of games with 30-40%

I guess these stats will become more and more mainstream, but it feels ‘American’, over analysing everything in sports.

I don't know where it came from, I logged in one day and it's everywhere. I pretty much zone out whenever someone starts trying to use it to prove something about performances. When they started giving Actual Points for Expected Goals, I'll give a shit.

If my aunt had 2 expected bollocks, she still wouldn't be my uncle.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's really easy to deal with Spurs. Play deep, don't give them space in behind to go in front (and give them the opportunity to sit back for the rest of the game). They don't have any players to unlock defences that sit back.

Same with United. Don't give them space to counter. They don't have many ideas to break down teams when the onus is on them. 

The only one I'm confused about is Chelsea. How do we even approach that tomorrow? They don't play with any discernible tactics. Their game is just about blowing teams away with their superior firepower and scoring from set pieces.

That’s because they have a shit manager. I’m amazed they haven’t got somebody else in to manage such a strong squad. They should be winning the league with the amount or talent they have. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AXD said:

Am i the only one who is not a fan of this xG and xA? It strikes me as a made up statistic to have something to talk about. I understand the calculations behind it, but treating goalscoring opportunities like exact science seems weird.
To me there are already enough stats that can seem important, but don’t really matter. eg possession is obviously important, you want to have the ball, but I remember our first season under Lambert where we won a number of games with 30-40%

I guess these stats will become more and more mainstream, but it feels ‘American’, over analysing everything in sports.

It’s one of the lesser important stats but definitely one to pay attention to. More so when things are going against you. It tells you that whilst results aren’t going your way if you keep playing how you’re playing the goals will come. Or similarly if a team scores with creating little it shows they may have been lucky. 

if you look at the xG table it should be of no surprise  as to how close it mirrors the league. 

another stat managers are hot on these days is distance covered. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Adama Traore back to the Adama we used to know at Villa.

Zero end product

Most overhyped player in the league. It's always a big buzz when he comes on. Someone, somewhere, posted his stats compared to El Ghazi. Anwar rips him to shreds. But he's big and muscly, and used to play for Barcelona. You'd think a prime Ronaldo was on the pitch the way some talk about him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

It’s one of the lesser important stats but definitely one to pay attention to. More so when things are going against you. It tells you that whilst results aren’t going your way if you keep playing how you’re playing the goals will come. Or similarly if a team scores with creating little it shows they may have been lucky. 

if you look at the xG table it should be of no surprise  as to how close it mirrors the league. 

another stat managers are hot on these days is distance covered. 

Being devils advocate maybe, but the first paragraph is like clutching at straws when you are on a losing streak. Creating good chances means nothing if you don’t put them in.

the last thing you mention is a fair point as is showing the effort the team puts in.

Â