Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

You'd think Smith would want Traore to have an opportunity to link up with a few of the teammates he's likely to be playing with at Fulham and beyond so he's not thrust into the middle of a group of strangers Monday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looks like Engels is unavailable and Konsa won't be risked - so we might well be seeing Mings in this one.

Three games in and we have our first injury crisis!

If there is one area we can match you, it is injuries.

Of 5 CBs, 2 are injured. 2 of the remaining fit ones have about 20 appearances in the Championship combined.

We have 3 CMs injured, one of which was a new signing and would have absolutely been in the first team, another one having a handful of appearances, but has mostly been sent on loan. But after performances with Wales as MOTM over players like Bale and Ramsey he was expected to feature a lot. And the other was the POTY for Coventry last season and was expected to be involved a lot this year.

LWB, we have one natural one, he is injured.

And then there is Callum O'Dowda too, the one least likely to be involved much as he doesn't really suit a 3-5-2. Unless he converts to LWB or stakes a claim for a midfield role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mungo Bridge would be the candidate, but I'm not sure if a.) he's ready and b.) Hause is able to nurse a youngster through a game.

Try it why not we are developing a squad, we can’t really wait to know when he is ready or if Hause is ready to nurse him through it, so give it a go and decide what to do next, apart from losing to a lower league team what have we got to lose.  We probably won’t win the cup anyway,  Nothing to lose,

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Daylight robbery

Maybe...

I saw on BBC Sport website this morning that the Premier League Clubs are now concerned about the prospect of no fans until at least March 2021. And that they are 'wary' (lolololol) of having all of their games shown on live TV for anyone to watch as it 'dilutes' the demand and specialness of providers who have successfully bid for 'exclusive' rights.

Money....... Money........ Money...... I have to be careful not to fall into an overly cynical train of thought. All I can do is smile and wave.

On 21/09/2020 at 21:11, OutByEaster? said:

------------------------------Steer-----------------------------

Elmo-----------Hause--------Engels----------Taylor

--------------------------Nakamba--------------------------

--------------Lansbury----------Ramsey----------------

Traore--------------------------------------------El Ghazi

----------------------------Davis------------------------------

Maybe?

Mings for Engels and I think that's how we will line up. If Traore isn't up to speed then I'd stick Jota in there. Have Jack and Ollie on the bench in case it's level late on.

Hopefully we have enough to get through, win this and (we should) get past Stoke/Gillingham at home then we are into the quarter-finals and we can start to smell the hot dogs... (well we would but for Covid 🙄).

• Haha 1

we arent playing again until monday night, its the very start of the season, and some of our players still dont look up to match speed so id hope to see quite a few first teamers for this one. 

Plus, there is no risk of having to play a replay or extra time because I believe matches ending in a draw after 90 mins go straight to penalties (someone may need to fact check that one) 

Some first choice players look like they need matches - esp. McGinn, and probably Traore. Some back-up players will also need minutes in case they're needed - maybe Hause. The club will have all the metrics, so will know whether playing will help them or hinder them. 

This will just be another glorified friendly, with the team being based on what is best for the Fulham game. We are likely to care far more about trying to be 6 points from 2 league games, than we are about getting through to the next round. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

If anyone fancies a heart attack Weimann has played as a central attacking midfielder for them recently.

He has, but with mixed results.

He'll find space well and break forward, then completely fluff the pass, or press players like a maniac (knowing the pressing triggers is why he was put there).

Have to say I'm expecting Brunt to start as he hasn't started a game for us yet.

Palmer was excellent in the last round, albeit against Northampton,  but was dropped for Paterson in the league, so he'll deserve another game, which leaves one CM spot which will probably go to either Bakinson or Massengo.

Bakinson made his full debut against Stoke and was MOTM contender, after being matched up against John Obi Mikel and completely outplaying him, is very relaxed on the ball and plays perhaps quite risky with his passing. He likes to play the ball close enough for defending players to think they can intercept, just just beyond them, which leaves very small margin for error, great when it works though. 

Massengo would be doing a lot more pressing than Bakinson, much more high energy. Good game intelligence for someone his age too, and will get his body between the ball and the opposition to draw out lots of soft fouls. Signed from Monaco last year, and has some kind of record for being young and playing in the Champions League, though I cant remember exactly what it was. Lots of potential, and was being scouted by the likes of Arsenal throughout last season.

If Weimann starts I'd expect it to be as part of a front 2 with Diedhiou or Martin, but Semenyo has really earned his chance, so I think Weimann will be on the bench and instead start on Sunday.

I hope we take this competition seriously this year but having said that I don’t want the majority of the players against Bristol and hopefully stoke too being the first team players. I don’t want no hopers like Lansbury in there but the first players who step in when there is an injury to get proper match fitness.

Martinez
Taylor/Hause/Konsa/Guilbert
Nakamba/McGinn/Hourihane
Traore/El Ghazi
Davis

Edited by paul514
Adding a team

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

I hope we take this competition seriously this year but having said that I don’t want the majority of the players against Bristol and hopefully stoke too being the first team players. I don’t want no hopers like Lansbury in there but the first players who step in when there is an injury to get proper match fitness.

Martinez
Taylor/Hause/Konsa/Guilbert
Nakamba/McGinn/Hourihane
Traore/El Ghazi
Davis

Steer

Elmo Engels/Guilbert/Revan, Konsa, Taylor

Traore Nakamba Hourihane McGinn Trez

Davis

I'm normally a fan of going into all comps intending to win it. But I think we need to be smart here. Gonna be a long intensive season. It's a weak side, but we have such a thin squad we can't risk injuries that can be a problem for the league. 

Even if it's weak it should be strong enough for this.