Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

On 22/09/2020 at 04:42, Spoony said:

I hope we smash them. Never really got why they’ve got it in for us so let’s not give them the pleasure of winning. 

We do seem to have a lot of fans down the M5 corridor, Gloucester etc right down to Exeter....maybe that is one reason.

Edited by TRO

On 22/09/2020 at 22:09, JamesBCFC said:

If there is one area we can match you, it is injuries.

Of 5 CBs, 2 are injured. 2 of the remaining fit ones have about 20 appearances in the Championship combined.

We have 3 CMs injured, one of which was a new signing and would have absolutely been in the first team, another one having a handful of appearances, but has mostly been sent on loan. But after performances with Wales as MOTM over players like Bale and Ramsey he was expected to feature a lot. And the other was the POTY for Coventry last season and was expected to be involved a lot this year.

LWB, we have one natural one, he is injured.

And then there is Callum O'Dowda too, the one least likely to be involved much as he doesn't really suit a 3-5-2. Unless he converts to LWB or stakes a claim for a midfield role.

I did wonder where our old fitness and medical team had gone.....

• Haha 1

We have another League cup tie tonight, just over a week since the last one, they certainly are coming thick and fast! Tonight's winners will face a home game against Stoke next week to decide who advances to the quarter-finals, that are not due to be played until 22/23 December. The game is available as a live stream on Carabao Live for a tenner. I wonder how much of that money will find its way to the competing teams (who will be missing out on gate receipts)? Why are Bristol unable to offer the game live, as EFL clubs do their home league games?

As has been said earlier on this thread, this is a game where a couple of our usual first team starters could use a start, perhaps with a view to blowing away some lingering cobwebs. For me, that would include Trez, Conor and McGinn, along with the players who were on the bench on Monday and our new signing Traore. Bristol City will be up for this, they may also rest some players, but the team wearing claret & blue, will need to be more up for this one, than they were initially at Burton. Do we want another lengthy cup run? Well these games are only 90 minutes in length. They are one off games without replays or extra time and even if we reach the last eight, we won't be playing any games in this competition during the next two months. Winning is also a good habit to get into, so why not?    

We have drawn our last two games at Ashton Gate 1-1 (so penalties may not be out of the question). We last lost there in 2016 and our last win there came in 1982. Gary Shaw scored the only goal in that FA Cup 4th Round match. Overall we have won 23 and have drawn 12 of the 44 games, that there have been between the two clubs. This will be the first time we have met in the League Cup. We have been drawn against each other on five occasions in the FA Cup though, in 1900, 1921, 1957, 1963 and as mentioned in 1982. We progressed onto the next round each time, although we did need a replay in 1963. Another cup win, would be nice tonight Villa. 

• Like 1

On 21/09/2020 at 23:45, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Any chance you know if these games can be viewed after the fact? May not be able to watch live but would be happy to pay a tenner to watch later that night!

I think this might be possible.

Have just paid and it says it is available until October 2nd.

Whether they will tell you the result before you get to the stream page is different though. 

31 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think this might be possible.

Have just paid and it says it is available until October 2nd.

Whether they will tell you the result before you get to the stream page is different though. 

Yup, I've paid and it seems to be possible. The trick will be covering the screen to avoid spoilers and clicking back to the start of the stream 😅

For me the Fulham game at the weekend for me is more important, however I don't want us to roll over here either as there are enough players who should want to step up.

Steer, Hause, Ramsey, El Ghazi and Davis to get full games please. Jack and Ollie on the bench and give Konsa the night off to rest his hamstring.

I guess we will also know Samatta's future if he is in the squad tonight or not.

The worry I have is that guys like El Ghazi, Nakamba should be completely bossing this game and they didn't look bothered to do that last week against Burton. Hopefully, Dean will have stuck a rocket up their arses <insert gif here, you know the one> and realise its last chance saloon for them. I want Guilbert to start but he seems to be a taboo subject in the squad these days for some reason so doubt he will play, Engels is still injured, and based on last week I don't want Lansbury taking up a seat on the bench so my team would be;

Steer

Elmo   Hause    Mings   Taylor

Nakamba

Traore  Hourihane Ramsey El Ghazi 

Davis

Martinez, Grealish, Watkins, McGinn, Trez, Cash, Kesler-Hayden

A very cagey 2-1 to the Villa

Edited by Bomvilla7

Steer 
Elmo - Hause - Mings - Taylor
                 Nakamba 
        Lansbury - Ramsey
      Traore - Davis - El Ghazi

Near enough what we played against Burton I'd expect. 

That's the other way to fix the CB thing - with Konza having a ropey hamstring, Engels in limbo, Bridge and Revan not being ready and Mings needing some sort of rest between games, this isn't the worst solution I suppose. 

Nyland now down to fourth choice keeper then.