Emiliano Martínez

hippo

48 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

If he wins the world cup we will have to be chanting "the world's number one!" In the boxing day game.

We don't need to motivate Liverpool.

Diogo Costa who has looked a clown the whole tournament has been linked to a £60m move to Chelsea or Utd.

Emi has over 4 years left on his contract.

If he goes, which I don't think he will, it's going to be a world record for a keeper. More than £75m or whatever Kepa cost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Diogo Costa who has looked a clown the whole tournament has been linked to a £60m move to Chelsea or Utd.

Emi has over 4 years left on his contract.

If he goes, which I don't think he will, it's going to be a world record for a keeper. More than £75m or whatever Kepa cost.

The thing with Emi is I’m not convinced he’s actually *that* good a keeper for a league campaign… certainly not up there with Ederson, Alisson, Courtois, etc. Arguably even Ramsdale has been better than him this season.

But put him in a tournament scenario and he just has something special about him. Brilliant in a penalty shoot out, and brilliant in high pressure situations. Doesn’t shy away, and his teammates know they can trust him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The thing with Emi is I’m not convinced he’s actually *that* good a keeper for a league campaign… certainly not up there with Ederson, Alisson, Courtois, etc. Arguably even Ramsdale has been better than him this season.

But put him in a tournament scenario and he just has something special about him. Brilliant in a penalty shoot out, and brilliant in high pressure situations. Doesn’t shy away, and his teammates know they can trust him.

What is the clamour for this guy. Absolutely bang average but does over the top dives for a simple save and people think he's world class. Emi every day of the week for me.

• Like 3

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but Emi hasn’t actually been that good throughout this tournament beyond the penalties. In fact, he’s only made a single save the entire tournament beyond the pens. He’s saving percentage is 16.7 percent, by far the worst of any keeper this tournament.

edit: Also just noticed that he also has the worst launching accuracy of any keeper this tournament at 18.6 percent. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about a top club putting a bid in for him anytime soon.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but Emi hasn’t actually been that good throughout this tournament beyond the penalties. In fact, he’s only made a single save the entire tournament beyond the pens. He’s saving percentage is 16.7 percent, by far the worst of any keeper this tournament.

edit: Also just noticed that he also has the worst launching accuracy of any keeper this tournament at 18.6 percent. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about a top club putting a bid in for him anytime soon.

I agree with your overall point but I can remember that great last minute save v Australia and also that remarkable catch from the free kick v Mexico (?) in the group stages. He’s commanded his area well and made loads of catches from corners and crosses. One of Argentina’s goals conceded was a mean deflection that he didn’t have a chance with.

Hes not an amazing shot stopper (although I’m sure in his first season with us he was) and his long goal kicks are not good. 
I agree that pens are his strength which is brilliant for tournament football but  probably not enough to encourage a massive bid for club football. 

I think we’re actually a good level for him so I’m not worried, however if someone did come in with huge money for him, I think we could replace his overall ability but maybe not his personality and the fun of having the Argentinian number 1 as keeper/captain. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I can remember that great last minute save v Australia and also that remarkable catch from the free kick v Mexico (?) in the group stages

Was about to say, he’s made probably the two standout saves of the tournament so a claim that “he has only made one save” doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Was about to say, he’s made probably the two standout saves of the tournament so a claim that “he has only made one save” doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny.

Ah, I missed that. That's still only 2 saves he's made the entire tournament and whilst both were good saves I wouldn't consider either "standout saves of the entire tournament". 

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree with your overall point but I can remember that great last minute save v Australia and also that remarkable catch from the free kick v Mexico (?) in the group stages. He’s commanded his area well and made loads of catches from corners and crosses. One of Argentina’s goals conceded was a mean deflection that he didn’t have a chance with.

Hes not an amazing shot stopper (although I’m sure in his first season with us he was) and his long goal kicks are not good. 
I agree that pens are his strength which is brilliant for tournament football but  probably not enough to encourage a massive bid for club football. 

I think we’re actually a good level for him so I’m not worried, however if someone did come in with huge money for him, I think we could replace his overall ability but maybe not his personality and the fun of having the Argentinian number 1 as keeper/captain. 

Diagonal Balls across him, seem to elude him, where his positional sense, comes in to question.....but just nit picking.

not as good as when he first arrived, but still a decent keeper....love his personality.

worries me, playing out from the back.

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, TRO said:

Diagonal Balls across him, seem to elude him, where his positional sense, comes in to question.....but just nit picking.

not as good as when he first arrived, but still a decent keeper....love his personality.

worries me, playing out from the back.

His passing is really quite poor. I do wonder if Emery will be able to get him better at that aspect of his game, and if not whether it would see us accept a huge offer for him. 

Overall, he's better than any keeper we could hope to attract, but it is an area that will he's going to need to improve and over the course of a season it's key the keeper can support the way the team wants to build from the back.

In an international tournament, where opposition teams are less organised, and penalties become a regular factor, his other traits become even more of a benefit than they are already and outweigh the passing issues.

Hopefully Emery can work his magic on him as I think he's got the loyalty to stick with us if he did improve his passing.

On 11/12/2022 at 00:40, GingerCollins29 said:

What is the clamour for this guy. Absolutely bang average but does over the top dives for a simple save and people think he's world class. Emi every day of the week for me.

Ramsdale has been very good for Arsenal to be fair.

I thought he'd be a complete flop. I was laughing my head off when they bought him having sold Emi to us. 

But to be fair he's performed well for them, far better than I expected. I think if it wasn't for Pickford being so consistent for England, Ramsdale would probably be starting. On club form he's the better keeper

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ramsdale has been very good for Arsenal to be fair.

I thought he'd be a complete flop. I was laughing my head off when they bought him having sold Emi to us. 

But to be fair he's performed well for them, far better than I expected. I think if it wasn't for Pickford being so consistent for England, Ramsdale would probably be starting. On club form he's the better keeper

I think Ramsdale has a similar mentality to Martinez as well.  He loves the crowd interaction, doesn't shy away from "abuse" and will happily give it back.  It's a really good trait for a keeper to have.  Important to note that Ramsdale is only 24 - well before he's getting anywhere near his peak.

Personally, would have him (arguably Pope too) over Pickford, though there's not much between them all.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Personally, would have him (arguably Pope too) over Pickford, though there's not much between them all.

I'd have him over Pickford based on club form 100%

But to be fair to him Pickford always turns up for England, so I understand why he gets picked. Same as Maguire

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

His passing is really quite poor. I do wonder if Emery will be able to get him better at that aspect of his game, and if not whether it would see us accept a huge offer for him. 

Overall, he's better than any keeper we could hope to attract, but it is an area that will he's going to need to improve and over the course of a season it's key the keeper can support the way the team wants to build from the back.

In an international tournament, where opposition teams are less organised, and penalties become a regular factor, his other traits become even more of a benefit than they are already and outweigh the passing issues.

Hopefully Emery can work his magic on him as I think he's got the loyalty to stick with us if he did improve his passing.

I don't want to see Emi go, just making the observation, he was better, when he first arrived.

The 2 Penalty saves v The Netherlands was Emi back to his best......I think losing too many games at Villa, might have dulled his edge.

I am hoping he can get back to his best, in a  improved team.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Pickford is a good keeper but I can't stand the bloke. 

The way he shouts at everything and everyone after making a save (his job), is tiresome. Does it because he thinks it's cool or he does it to over compensate for his little arms. 

little man syndrome  - I'm 5'7 tall so just as guilty

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Juventus supposedly going to offer £22m + Weston McKennie  to sign Martinez.

Probably a load of rubbish but that's a no thanks from me.

they'll do well to still be solvent and/or playing in serie A soon. not sure how attractive a proposition they'll be till all that plays out...

• Like 4

Â