Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Not performing in the way that we know he can do for some reason. No idea what it could be, don't think it is the coaching because NC has been with him since he joined so… maybe his morale is shot the rest of the squad at the moment because of the dull football they are being asked to play. 

6 hours ago, grobs said:

Overhyped like most of our players. Not sure where the idea comes from that he’s world class

Because in December he will probably come back with a World Cup winners medal and praise from Messi

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because in December he will probably come back with a World Cup winners medal and praise from Messi

Emi has I been been very good for us. Easily been our best signing imo but he was at fault for the goal. I have no idea why any keeper takes a step, it truly baffles me. If you think your are in the right position there is no need to take a step. If you think you need to take a step you aren’t positioned correctly in the first place. 

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Emi has I been been very good for us. Easily been our best signing imo but he was at fault for the goal. I have no idea why any keeper takes a step, it truly baffles me. If you think your are in the right position there is no need to take a step. If you think you need to take a step you aren’t positioned correctly in the first place. 

I agree I think he was at fault for the goal but he is one of the last players I would blame for our mess

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

I guess for a moment he couldn’t see the free kick taker properly and moved to get a better view.

6 hours ago, May-Z said:

If a free kick beats a wall, fair enough. 

Trust it and stand on the other side ready to catch or parry. 

Not sure what made him so unsure. 

Tbf he's always done it. He's made some incredible saves where a fk has beaten the wall and when you watch it back its because he moves over early. Since the middle of last year I've been hoping no one puts a fk on "his" side because it'll beat him and today it did - if memory serves he's nearly been beaten a few times this way but the shot ended up off target. 

Its a catch 22 really, since he's been with us he's saved a few that would have otherwise gone in by moving early, even some that look like really simple saves could have gone in if he hadn't moved early, today it went against him but its worked more often than it hasn't, just have to take the good with the bad sometimes I guess 

• Like 1

Well we weren't getting anything out the game whether he saved the Free kick or not.

He's probably low on confidence, and playing for the clown that is SG i'm not surprised. Get a proper manager in and a proper team being picked in front of him I'm sure he'd get some belief back. 

Must be quite demoralising to play well knowing your efforts aren't going to count for anything. Doesn't excuse not playing well though. 

• Like 1

I cannot remember the last time he made a save he shouldnt have been able to. Maybe he is one of those characters that performs only when trying to prove themselves. 

Distinctly average for Villa last season and the start of this. And now also with a bumper 6 year contract to enjoy and get fat on. 

Come guys, EMI has been one of our most consistent players under the current turgid regime.

Yes he may have made a mistake as well as Mings, and I realise that every time a villa player makes a mistake, the opposition score, but lets cut him some slack.

Helped that the shape was correct. Dendocker dropped to make a back 3 with Mings and Konsa and then there was another layer of 3 with Cash Luiz and Young next. Difficult to cover and press that shape for Brentford so Martinez had easy passes to make. 

Previously Luiz would drop to make the back 3 but JJ and Mcginn weren’t comfortable receiving the pass and then either turning or making the correct pass. Shows a difference in shape and personal can make up and down the pitch

Â