Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

Not his fault, but there's zero way our medical team should've let him continue on. Clearly had signs of concussion and you can't let athletes make their own decisions when it comes right after a blow to the head. 

Don't think we'll see him in our next game tbh

Didn’t we do the exact same thing with McGinn last season and got loads of criticism then aswell? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

That thought did cross my mind but he looked pretty gutted to be fair.

Yeah. I am just bitter about the performance and result. I don't feel like you can trust our players too 🤣  

There was clear contact on him and he should have been subbed immediately if he was having effects of concussion. Poor.

• Like 2

Possible to have thudding headache without being concussed from a whack. Medics will test and see over weekend, and if concussed we won't see him for a couple of games

• Like 2

Looked like Mings knee hit him right in the temple, he looked cloudy, no need for 10 minutes of checks, get him off the pitch out the game. Even we could see he wasn't with it, amateur from the medics.

I'll be shocked if he plays the next game.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Looked like Mings knee hit him right in the temple, he looked cloudy, no need for 10 minutes of checks, get him off the pitch out the game. Even we could see he wasn't with it, amateur from the medics.

I'll be shocked if he plays the next game.

According to Englands concussion protocol 19 days is the minimum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

So is he concussed or not? 

Was concussed. Is no longer concussed. That's my take.

I think some think concussion is an all or nothing injury whereas it's often causes very temporary issues.

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

Was concussed. Is no longer concussed. That's my take.

I think some think concussion is an all or nothing injury whereas it's often causes very temporary issues.

That's literally not how a concussion works at all. If he was diagnosed with a concussion he will be unavailable until he clears the tests required. He can start having further symptoms after the initial event, so will need to clear testing. CTE awareness is a real thing. Probably won't be available until the Brighton game if he has a concussion.

Edited by Pissflaps
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

That's literally not how a concussion works at all. If he was diagnosed with a concussion he will be unavailable until he clears the tests required. He can start having further symptoms after the initial event, so will need to clear testing. CTE awareness is a real thing. Probably won't be available until the Brighton game if he has a concussion.

I'm not saying he wasn't concussed. Merely that some concussions are more serious than others.

I expect Emi will undergo testing. If he passes those tests, it doesn't mean he wasn't concussed. Just that he's okay to play after the Premier League's protocol of 6 days. On the assumption Emi didn't have a non-head injury, he wouldn't have been substituted without some minor concussion symptoms. His concussion could still see him available for the next game.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

Yeah, concussion is a brain injury, and very hard to assess. He took a big blow from Mings’s knee and didn’t look well on the pitch. I hope we put his long term health ahead of a couple of Premier League games.

• Like 1

Although there's been improvements I still find the way head injuries are handled in football to be concerning. Love Martinez and always want him on the pitch for Villa, but I'd rather him be healthy and not put at risk in the process. He really should have been off straight away yesterday once it was clear how serious of a knock he had taken rather than being allowed to try to soldier on. Glad to see he's OK.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I'm assuming the club will have declared Emi's concussion symptoms to the Premier League and he'll still need to follow the six physical steps of concussion protocol.

Concussion can be very serious but it's good news if Emi's concussion is minor enough for him to be confident about completing the steps in the minimum of 6 days without issue and therefore being available for our next game.

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Although there's been improvements I still find the way head injuries are handled in football to be concerning. Love Martinez and always want him on the pitch for Villa, but I'd rather him be healthy and not put at risk in the process. He really should have been off straight away yesterday once it was clear how serious of a knock he had taken rather than being allowed to try to soldier on. Glad to see he's OK.

It's a tricky one. If the player is dizzy after a head blow, but takes a minute and is absolutely ok and confident he wants to continue, would you take them off?

Some knocks are worse than others. It is common for players to bump heads or get an elbow or knee to a head and be fine 30 seconds later.

It's up to the player and medical staff to decide within a couple of minutes, so some calls might be wrong. 

36 minutes ago, brommy said:

I'm assuming the club will have declared Emi's concussion symptoms to the Premier League and he'll still need to follow the six physical steps of concussion protocol.

Concussion can be very serious but it's good news if Emi's concussion is minor enough for him to be confident about completing the steps in the minimum of 6 days without issue and therefore being available for our next game.

It sounds more like he didn’t have concussion (ie brain injury), but had head pain from the impact on his skull, and understandably felt uncomfortable continuing. Did the right thing going off, but sounds like he’s passed all the tests.

I don’t think there is such thing as “minor concussion”. It’s always an injury that needs to be taken very seriously because it can have long term consequences.

Â