Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I don’t won’t to jump on him after today but I just don’t think he is good enough with his feet to play the sort of game Emery wants. 

I do think we will sell in the summer to help fund the rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Nobody has really mentioned that, it's a freak of a goal. 

What is pissing people off is his antics. The time wasting is constant, no matter who we play and add to that his distribution is shocking.

Well a thread was created when he was doing during Brighton away and majority were loving it. We were clinging on to a point at 2-2 so instructions to him from the bench were clearly to slow the game down as much as possible so imo he was only following what he was told.

Did nothing wrong today. Was unsighted for their first, unable to get to an excellent shot for their second and unlucky for the 3rd.

Yep - he wastes time but if you are then going to say it's his fault we lost in extra time you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

• Like 2

Don’t think Martinez did a lot wrong today. Time wasting was annoying but wasn’t the reason we lost. His kicking was mostly decent bar a couple into touch. Couldn’t have done much about any of the first 3 goals, and the last goal you’re always going to gamble on the equaliser.

Don’t understand why all the hate. 

• Like 1

Needs to take a look in the mirror and understand he's not above the game. Obviously lost it in the end, I'm sure he would usually complain for the offside. All the time wasting did today was to allow Arsenal to get organised in front of the ball, an put us more under pressure for the last 6 minutes. Hope Unai gives him a kick up the arse (no pun untended), or I'd take 60 million for him to go to Man U in the summer.

13 minutes ago, YLN said:

I just don't like him. I think he's a bit of an idiot.

Good keeper, not that likeable.

I think thats where I’m at. It’s gone from banter and kind of fun shithousery to him actually just being a clearing in the woods

• Like 1

Head been turned ? Possibly. 

At his age and previous experiences he might be in a rush to play with the bigger boys.

Then there's his agent who might be whispering in his ear....meh.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Where you hear that?

Thats probably bullshit mate.

Friend of mine heard it in the interview with Emery. Said that he'd never ask a keeper to go forward when there was a bit of time left. Criticized his mentality.

I can't check it myself since I've never bothered watching the post-match stuff, but seems bizarre for him to make all this up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Where you hear that?

Thats probably bullshit mate.

It's not I saw the interview. Said he didn't understand why he went up, makes us more vulnerable and said maybe once or twice in history has a keeper scored.

If Emery says don't go up then it's not good but it's the last minute, we need to score and when a keeper goes up it can cause confusion sometimes. I don't see an issue with it, we have to score from that corner or we get nothing anyway.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I don’t won’t to jump on him after today but I just don’t think he is good enough with his feet to play the sort of game Emery wants. 

I do think we will sell in the summer to help fund the rebuild. 

I pretty much guarantee that any keeper we try to buy is going to be a step down.

We’d have no chance of signing Martinez if he wasn’t already here. We just got super lucky that we pulled him out of Arsenal’s reserves at the time we did. 

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

It's not I saw the interview. Said he didn't understand why he went up, makes us more vulnerable and said maybe once or twice in history has a keeper scored.

If Emery says don't go up then it's not good but it's the last minute, we need to score and when a keeper goes up it can cause confusion sometimes. I don't see an issue with it, we have to score from that corner or we get nothing anyway.

But if the manager says don't do it then the player should listen instead of just doing what they want.

It's a respect thing.

• Like 1

Instantly put him self under pressure with the comments of a move away wether the comments were taken out of context or not it’s better just to keep quiet. Villa fans would instantly defend him and forgive mistakes based on his past form but the moment  you start talking about a potential move away you lose that connection and it absolutely typical for him to have been out of form since the story broke.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

But if the manager says don't do it then the player should listen instead of just doing what they want.

It's a respect thing.

Of course, but it sounds like he just went up rather than asked and was told no but went anyway.

Â