Josh King

JPAngel

According to our good friend Percy, we’ve launched a £16m bid for Josh King so I suppose it makes sense to open a post.

The link to the Telegraph article is HERE

Exclusive: Aston Villa make £16million bid for Bournemouth striker Joshua King

Dean Smith is targeting King after missing out on the Norway international's former team-mate Callum Wilson to Newcastle

I actually prefer King to Wilson. Whenever I’ve watched him he’s looked like he has more to his all round game than Wilson and I think he’d be a good signing at the sub £20m mark providing we bring in further competition (e.g. Watkins).

That being said, the idea does lack a little creativity doesn’t it? “Oh, Wilson didnt want to join us... who else y’got?”.

Edited by JPAngel

On the top of his game he's a good player. Decent turn of pace, very strong. But I'd prefer someone else. In fact I hope we don't sign him.

Seen him play plenty and I can't help to think he's past it at this point. Always injured as well. Not a great goalscorer either. 

On the positive side he's good at going wide and breaking in towards goal. 

Still a completely underwhelming signing for me. This is well and truly scraping the barrel. If he's signed a squad option fair enough, but I suspect he isn't. 

I wonder what's the point of Lange and our scouts if this ends up being who we turn to for more goals in our striker department. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wonder what's the point of Lange and our scouts if this ends up being who we turn to for more goals in our striker department. 

What are they actually doing?

A 10 year old could find Wilson and King. Such obvious targets. You don't even need any scouts or sporting directors for this.

As i've said before. Douglas Luiz was a surprise last season. And people are hammering Suso.. grass ain't always greener on the other side, i'm telling you.

• Like 1

This is a worrying link tbh. Forgetting the ability of the player for a moment, it just seems like such a lazy transfer strategy. Are the only two strikers in world football playing at Bournemouth? And by virtue of not getting one, we need to go and get the other? 

Again, if he’s a back up, fine. Still not impressed by the nature of the approach though at all and it’s concerning if this is how we’re managing our business this summer. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What are they actually doing?

A 10 year old could find Wilson and King. Such obvious targets. You don't even need any scouts or sporting directors for this.

It's almost like these are all just bullshit media rumours and we were probably never even interested in either of these players, but we'll rather pull some surprise signings out of the bag. It's almost like the current regime is very good at keeping negotiations under wraps, and we won't know our real targets until their ITSOTP. Almost...

Big if!! But if we do sign Watkins I think king is the better buy to link up with him. From what I have seen he seems more of a make something from nothing kind of player, with pace that we are desperate for...ignore the fact we failed with Wilson...this would be a good signing. 

• Like 1

Just now, ramshackler said:

I mean I believe he is a better player than Wilson, but this just smacks of desperation now.

Does anyone believe King was in the top 3 of our targets this TW?

I live in hope that we have a ‘back up’ striker list and that Wilson/King or whoever are being brought in to play second fiddle to our main striker - Watkins/Edouard etc. 

Either way, it’s not a good look from the club and whilst I believe they’ll get it right, that belief ebbs away every time we see links like this and each day passes.

Percy is legit and he gets his information from the club. But would Villa want this out in the open after Wilson rejected us?

Seems desperate, so I doubt  there is anything in it. More likely to get the ball moving on other targets. I just don’t see it.

I’ll keep an open mind on this one. For one it might not even be true, secondly I’ve not really seen him play that much. It’s not the kind of exciting signing I’d hoped for but if he can improve our attack and we still sign a first choice striker and a winger, then I’m okay with it. 

I think people need to bear in mind that we don't have the foundations in place to be a competitive team yet. I would have thought it's a priority for the management to recruit the squad in layers.

Our striker options are practically non-existent at the moment, so bringing in someone new to the league adds an additional risk if there's no dependable back-up. Someone like King is proven to be capable of scoring goal in the PL. Once he's in place, we can then afford to be more adventurous in that part of the pitch.  

Other teams have a platform to build upon, but we have a very notable gap up front, so don't be too surprised if the first signing is a little less exotic than hoped. 

I would also think that like many other teams, we're looking at the likes of Benrahma and Buendia, as they're unlikely to stay where they are, yet seemingly there have been no mention of bids in the press.

• Like 2

Â