Josh King

JPAngel

6 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Because it hides the fact he doesn’t score many in open play and people are getting his scoring figures up thinking he scores a few, when in fact he doesnt

I think he does though. I don’t particularly want Josh King to be perfectly honest, but as part of a partnership he could maybe be effective. But to bash him for not scoring goals from open play isn’t right and isn’t backed up by the stats.

This place is a farce. We have Samagoal and Davis and people are turning their noses up at King and Wilson. 

They are either under the belief Watkins would come in and better them both( hopefully but doubtful) or of the belief we can just pick up a moneyball signing from abroad for peanuts to bang 10 goals in (not going to happen nowadays)

Get. Him. Signed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Somebody should tell Ronaldo his penalties dont count. They will have to remove his Serie A record from last season

Why do people go to extremes when they are trying to prove a point, just shows they lost the original argument. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Junxs said:

A really excellent player on his day and far superior to Wilson, can't believe the number of people turning their nose up at this!

This excites me the most out of all the links so far this summer, and the one I want to happen the most

I assume most people are like me, and have no clue how he plays and has barely seen him play football.  My immediate reaction was "what?! Another Bournemouth player? Is this only because we didn't get Wilson?"

Looking into it,  you see he's a pretty different player,  and the club were probably in negotiations about them both at the same time. The Wilson one probably only got leaked when it did because of the Newcastle interest to get them to meet the price demands. 

Immediate reactions aside, he seems like a decent option, but only a step improvement on what we have.  He doesn't carry many injury concerns (Only missed 12 games in 4 years),  has pace and strength and lots of PL experience. Better than nothing and if its all we can afford due to FFP I have revised my view from no to yes. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

This place is a farce. We have Samagoal and Davis and people are turning their noses up at King and Wilson. 

They are either under the belief Watkins would come in and better them both( hopefully but doubtful) or of the belief we can just pick up a moneyball signing from abroad for peanuts to bang 10 goals in (not going to happen nowadays)

Get. Him. Signed.

So your solution to having two poor players on the books is to spend 20m plus large wages for a player that’s barely better.....

Good one!

• Like 1

I can picture it now:

Purslow: Well, Jack, you going to sign your contract?

Jack: Who are we going to sign.

Purslow: Cash; probably Watkins: possibly King.

Jack scribbles furiously.

Purslow: You signing the contract, Jack?

Jack: No, my transfer request.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

So your solution to having two poor players on the books is to spend 20m plus large wages for a player that’s barely better.....

Good one!

"barely better" than Samagoal and Davis. They are both run of the mill decent PL strikers and they are lightyears ahead of what we have.
Shall we just sit on our ****S waiting for this mythical moneyball superstar?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Good one!

I think at the quoted £16m he's a decent bit of business and a 3 year contract. £20m and a big contract I'd try elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Do we have a head of recruitment? I genuinely thought Lange had been brought in to replace Suso.

He has. He works together with Mackenzie (Head of Recruitment) to find targets, but Lange will most likely be responsible for sourcing from overseas and he doesn't appear to be finding anything.

He was a like for like replacement for Suso and has the same job title.

So not quite sure what that comment was all about.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

"barely better" than Samagoal and Davis. They are both run of the mill decent PL strikers and they are lightyears ahead of what we have.
Shall we just sit on our ****S waiting for this mythical moneyball superstar?

That will get written off as a failure if he doesn't score 20 goals in a season. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He has. He works together with Mackenzie (Head of Recruitment) to find targets, but Lange will most likely be responsible for sourcing from overseas and he doesn't appear to be finding anything.

He was a like for like replacement for Suso and has the same job title.

So not quite sure what that comment was all about.

Thanks, When do they start work? 😜

• Haha 1

But actually I do find the dismissal of King quite amusing, much as I did with the Wilson link. Seemed to be very few against Watkins though despite the fact that he is as much as if not more than a risk than King or Wilson.

Unless we're getting Edouard, Tammy, Belotti, someone of that calibre, then King would be a reasonable signing. Think we need another forward on top but it's a start at least. 

All depends on what other things happens with the squad and how we set up.

• Do we continue to play with 1 central attacker or do we go with 2?
  • Does he want a similar deal that Wilson got at Newcastle?
  • Are we signing another striker along with King?
  • Are we signing a proper wide player along with these 2 (or 1 )  strikers?

King poses pretty much zero threat in the air so as a lone central striker he has limitations (then again who doesn't). I can't imagine we'd spend this kind of money and a likely expensive contract to stick him on the bench so what does this mean for Watkins or any other attacker coming in? Is Watkins going to be used at RW where he is less effective? or is he and his reported £70k/w salary going to be stuck on the bench?

King might be a solid signing under the right circumstanses and might be effective if we get a RW in who excells at low crosses and through balls (while not being static like Jota) but if we continue to play in the way we did last season with tons of high crosses into the box then I don't see King as an ideal target (man).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But actually I do find the dismissal of King quite amusing, much as I did with the Wilson link. Seemed to be very few against Watkins though despite the fact that he is as much as if not more than a risk than King or Wilson.

Unless we're getting Edouard, Tammy, Belotti, someone of that calibre, then King would be a reasonable signing. Think we need another forward on top but it's a start at least. 

I think Watkins is actually the biggest risk from our links

• Like 1

Â