The AVFC FFP thread

57 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Maybe Paddy Riley wasn't so bad after all eh? Down to our coaching staff then it seems. 

Was breaking up a team and building a new team with no remaining foundations. I can't remember but from 2015 FA Cup final to 1st game of next season I would guess 3 or 4 players started 

An experienced or competent manager would have struggled

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was breaking up a team and building a new team with no remaining foundations. I can't remember but from 2015 FA Cup final to 1st game of next season I would guess 3 or 4 players started 

No, I think an experienced or competent manager would wasn't feuding behind the scenes with our Director of Recruitment would have kept us up.  Sherwood was a clueless idiot with a massive ego who tried to prove a point by playing "His" players over Reilly's.  The dressing room was divided before the season even began.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The two sides were:

FA Cup final 2015:

Given

Hutton Okore Vlaar Richardson

Cleverley N’Zogbia Deph Westwood Grealish

Benteke 

The firstt game of the season, 0-1 at Bournemouth in August 15 was:

Guzan 

Bacuna   Richards  Clark   Amavi 

Veretout   Westwood  Gueye

Ayew    Agnonlahor  Sinclair

So just the one player and it was Ashley Westwood. But we did have the same manager in the genius that is Tim Sherwood.

17 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The two sides were:

FA Cup final 2015:

Given

Hutton Okore Vlaar Richardson

Cleverley N’Zogbia Deph Westwood Grealish

Benteke 

The firstt game of the season, 0-1 at Bournemouth in August 15 was:

Guzan 

Bacuna   Richards  Clark   Amavi 

Veretout   Westwood  Gueye

Ayew    Agnonlahor  Sinclair

So just the one player and it was Ashley Westwood. But we did have the same manager in the genius that is Tim Sherwood.

I though we actually looked decent first few games.  Before Sherwood got sacked we lost every game by the odd goal. No team smashed us. 

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson is demanding an English Football League investigation into the financial conduct of three Championship rivals.

Gibson wants the EFL to scrutinise Derby County, Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday over what he believes to be breaches of financial regulations, in a move which could trigger a bitter dispute between the clubs.

The 61-year-old is insisting the three clubs are attempting to bypass the new profitability and sustainability rules by unfair means, and he has arranged a special meeting of all Championship clubs for a week on Tuesday.

Gibson is understood to be “furious” that Middlesbrough have sold over £40 million worth of players, including Adama Traore, Ben Gibson and Patrick Bamford, to balance the books, while in his view other clubs are manipulating the rules by allocating some costs to stay in line.

Derby, for example, recently sold their Pride Park stadium to owner Mel Morris and then leased it back to ensure the club recorded a profit in their 2017/18 accounts.

Sources at Derby insist they have been fully compliant with the new profitability and sustainability rules and do not fear a similar fate to Birmingham, who were docked nine points by the EFL last month.

But Derby are said to be operating under a “soft transfer embargo”, which is preventing them from registering Aberdeen captain Graeme Shinnie. 

The midfielder held talks with Derby last week but cannot sign a pre-contract at this stage, as the club’s accounts are being looked at by the EFL.

Villa, who are five points ahead of Middlesbrough in the table, have declined to comment. Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri admitted in January they could be placed under a transfer embargo.

Gibson will address the issue at the meeting with representatives from the other 23 clubs, and has also contacted the EFL to register his concerns.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/15/middlesbrough-chairman-steve-gibson-pushes-efl-investigate-rivals/

• Haha 1

I’m pretty sure the EFL know all about our finances after the debacle of last summer. We’ve been monitored ever since and I’m sure I read we’ve had to submit various things periodically to the EFL to show we have our house in order?

This sounds like Gibson trying to upset the apple cart to me. Pretty sure Boro are walking the financial tight rope too!

• Like 1

It's a strange one - Gibson saying "These rules aren't working because I'm the only one following them honestly" is to my mind more likely to have the effect of the FA agreeing that the rules aren't working and changing them than it is to have them reward him for his compliance.

The rules clearly don't work - and they don't work in lots of ways - if Derby can sell their ground to themselves to make a profit, then it's obvious that manipulation and financial chicanery will become not just the method, but the necessity for any club looking to get out of this league, and there are now so many teams that aren't "genuinely" compliant that the rules themselves become something of a sham.

Faced with the idea of having the EFL in 2020-21 start with twelve teams on minus six points whilst half of the other chairmen moan about it and someone at Preston sells themselves a clock for £30m I'm pretty sure that the league will choose an adjustment to the rule before it'll choose universal ridicule.

At a time where the most successful championship club of the last two years lost £52m in it's final season in the division, £39m in losses over three seasons is no longer a suitable measure - there need to be other protections in place to stop clubs hitting the skids, a different safety net - and this ceiling needs to be either massively extended or removed.

• Like 2

I don't really care if Quatar has the ownership in theory. You could argue it's dirty money, moral comes into play bla bla, but anyone that's lived long enough knows that all rich bastards have shaky ethical backgrounds. 

BUT I see no reason to want new owners now. We finally got a solid team working together, and I am a firm believer conviction and intelligence can beat a ton of eager money any day. 

So thanks, but no thanks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why don't you concentrate on your own failings before complaining about us. You chose pulis hoofball that's your fault. 

Exactly. Anybody who allows Pulis to do what he does to football waives all rights to comment on other teams.

FFP needs to be abolished. Its done enough damage to football already. Even the EFL acknowledges its irrelevant given the slap on the wrist Blues got (which i am fine with btw)

The Boro bloke is half right though, he may well the the only owner who thinks FFP is good for football. He might want to ask himself why.

Â