The AVFC FFP thread

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Grealish is gone in the summer if we don’t go up regardless of FFP. He needs to be playing in the Premier League for the sake of his career. 

Unfortunately I think southgate's comments were the final nail here. It will get messy unless we go up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrjc said:

I agree, I think he's credible and he knows what he's doing.  I doubt they are lying about it, or just hoping we'll be okay.

But...other than signing a new contract (which we know can be done to help manage a selling price), I don't think there's been any guarantee of not selling JG this summer, although I could easily have missed this.

So the most feasible outcome I know of...based on the publicly available information, what seems like the size of the gap, and being able to avoid a breach...is that we do have to sell him this summer.  That would be consistent with Purslow saying we are okay, would have made sense last summer when we could turn Spurs down, and would make more sense of our continued spending, knowing we had a £25m+ pure profit up our sleeve that we are technically allowed to put towards this season's losses.

Obviously I hope it's not, and that Purslow has some better way up his sleeve - I just have no idea, and have seen no real suggestion, of what that might be.

DS said JG is the long term future of the club when asked about making him captain

• Like 1

Grealish is not going to be a part of us solving FFP if we remain in the Championship.

From reading the reports we are currently on the border line of crossing FFP and are therefore submitting monthly financial reports to the EFL to prove we are working to becoming compliant with FFP.

There is no way that each report stating 'we will sell Grealish for £40 million in the summer' would accepted by the EFL, as we all know values of players increase and decrease and they are always one injury away from being worthless.

It would seem to me that Purslow is correct in what he has been saying and the club have implemented a long term plan to ensure we stay within FFP, without selling Grealish. A bulk of players will leave at the end of the season due to their contracts being up, this is a fact that we can submit to the EFL, it is then down to the club to sell others and bring in players on lower wages going forward. Obviously we all hope that we bounce up and don't have to work in these restrictions, whilst not going up and massively overspending in case we slide back down as Fulham are now doing.

• Thanks 1

It's not just about selling players / reducing contracts to improve revenue, we can increase it by securing commercial deals and I'm sure that's the plan.

I don't think we'll have to sell Grealish, but if we dont go up it might happen anyway.

Go up though, and we start picking other people's finest jewellery. ;)

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think grealish will hand in a transfer request if we don't give him the opportunity to leave in summer if we don't go up this year. 

That is if we get a big bid for him that is of course. 

It’s very rare for players to actually hand in a transfer request as they lose all contractual bonuses. 

Jack may “engineer” a move but no way he hands in a transfer request, he’s a holte hero, wouldn’t want to lose that. 

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Unfortunately I think southgate's comments were the final nail here. It will get messy unless we go up.

yeah, most helpful, Gareth.

11 hours ago, terrytini said:

I just keep coming back to Purslow.

He was there when they wrote the rules. He says we are ok.

In my simple mind, if we aren’t ok, that makes him a liar, or a fool.

It would also - presumably - mean the Owners happily invested in a sinking ship.

Call me naive, and I know we’ve all been “ bitten” before, but I can’t see it.

I just wonder why, if we ARE ok, why they can’t say how come.

I am with you here Terry.

CP was one of the architects of FFP, so I feel sure he can navigate his way around it.

I also suspect something was negotiated with the EFL when Nasser & Wes took the reins...otherwise they would have been reluctant to agree to take over.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s very rare for players to actually hand in a transfer request as they lose all contractual bonuses. 

Jack may “engineer” a move but no way he hands in a transfer request, he’s a holte hero, wouldn’t want to lose that. 

I agree

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I disagree

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think grealish will hand in a transfer request if we don't give him the opportunity to leave in summer if we don't go up this year. 

That is if we get a big bid for him that is of course. 

I don’t think he will have to do that. If a reasonable offer is made and Grealish wishes to leave. I doubt the club will stand in his way.

After that point it’s time for ‘Suso’ and the scouts to seriously step. They’ve done a great job with Hause and Mings. They will need to find some serious gems to replace Grealish. They are out there, just have to find them and give them a chance.  

I think Jack is one of the few footballers who would rather captain the club he loves and play week in week out on a pretty good wage (for a footballer) rather than engineer a move away just because the National Manager said so if he wants to play for England.

41 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I think Jack is one of the few footballers who would rather captain the club he loves and play week in week out on a pretty good wage (for a footballer) rather than engineer a move away just because the National Manager said so if he wants to play for England.

He does seem to have that passion for the club in the vein of de Rossi et al. here's hoping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I don't.

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I still have scars from the Delph saga.

Days before he signed for Arab City he committed himself to Aston Villa in a interview.

I will never trust footballers ever again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I still have scars from the Delph saga.

Days before he signed for Arab City he committed himself to Aston Villa in a interview.

I will never trust footballers ever again.

or Fabian Delph.....its a bit of a sweeping statement, to brand ALL footballers the same, when there is such a mixed bag of personalities.

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c9ba8784b66434659

Whilst I do not think Jack will leave and I do not want him to go, if we do not get promoted I would not begrudge him leaving for a top prem team.

If he does leave, we will pick ourselves up, we will move on, and we WILL be back where we belong. Aston Villa is more than just one player, and whilst it will hurt if he leaves (both progress wise and emotionally) we will recover, and I trust the management to use the money we get wisely.

UTV

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

i'd love to think such a player exists...but i just dont believe they do.

you or i would give our right testicle to captain our beloved aston villa and be paid 40k per week + bonus' for the privilege, but we aren't in the business. we don't have pundits, journalists, etc criticizing us for lack of ambition for staying at our boyhood clubs rather than sitting on the bench at a top premier league club. we don't have national team managers telling us that we wont play at an international level unless we move to the top division, whether we kick a ball whilst there or not. we dont have mates playing for premiership teams on double our money, telling us how amazing the standard is, getting to play all over the continent against the likes of messi and ronaldo, whilst we're watching an attempt of a pass by taylor sail over our head in training.

jack absolutely would love to play in the PL with villa and there is no question of him moving, at least for another season, if we go up...but he's off if we dont. fortunately i think his stock has soared this season and we should have a nice bit of wedge to cover FFP and build for next season

Â