Matty Cash

paul514

I have no worries about Cash. His attitude is spot on and I am pretty confident that he'll adapt to the way Emery wants him to play and step up his game. He didn't have the benefit of the time under Emery during the world cup let's not forget. 

If not we'll be selling a 25 year old proven to be decent at prem, and international, level fullback with two years still on his contract and his best years ahead of him. We'll make a very tidy profit on the 14 mill we paid for him. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Cash is currently out of form and probably feeling a bit insecure in terms of what Emery is asking of him, but normally he’s a good player (and with a brilliant attitude).

Superb attitude.

Limited player (sadly).

• Like 1

I just don't know if he has place in Unai's system aside from the occasional away rearguard substitution. I think at his 'best' he was a quasi wingback in Gerrard's system so unless Unai occasionally inverts his whole system (we currently favor an attacking LB and the RB to be inverted to form a back 3) - just substitutions and rotating with 41 year old Ashley Young.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Superb attitude.

Limited player (sadly).

It’s funny how a bit of huff and puff can raise no questions over attitude but a laid back demeanour in interviews like Bertrand Traore or Leon Bailey with his own clothing brand raises questions over attitude and comments like “he should concentrate on his football” yet Matty “Polish advert” Cash gets a free pass. I don’t believe any of the three players I’ve mentioned have attitude problems just limitations but Cash always gets a free pass and people even think we’ll make a substantial profit on him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s funny how a bit of huff and puff can raise no questions over attitude but a laid back demeanour in interviews like Bertrand Traore or Leon Bailey with his own clothing brand raises questions over attitude and comments like “he should concentrate on his football” yet Matty “Polish advert” Cash gets a free pass. I don’t believe any of the three players I’ve mentioned have attitude problems just limitations but Cash always gets a free pass and people even think we’ll make a substantial profit on him.

Yeah I'm not Bailey's biggest fan (although I thought he'd come good, he actually hasn't), but would never question his commitment. I'm still not sure where that actually comes from, hatred for Craig Butler?

• Like 1

Quote about the VP crowd

“I think at home we have to sort of like… when you are in those positions you have to be more resilient.

"You’ve got to get the crowd with you, you’ve got to get them going. They’ve got to get with us. When you are winning 2-1 you are in a really good position I think there just needs to be a bit more life around to try to be resilient to try to defend the goal.

"It’s been like that for a while now, I think we need to defend the box better and when you’re winning 2-1 against a top team you have got to do that."

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Quote about the VP crowd

“I think at home we have to sort of like… when you are in those positions you have to be more resilient.

"You’ve got to get the crowd with you, you’ve got to get them going. They’ve got to get with us. When you are winning 2-1 you are in a really good position I think there just needs to be a bit more life around to try to be resilient to try to defend the goal.

"It’s been like that for a while now, I think we need to defend the box better and when you’re winning 2-1 against a top team you have got to do that."

He's not wrong. I'm quite fortunate in that the area round by me in the Holte tends to be vocal for 90% of every game, on the whole, but there are so many who are silent as the grave unless they see something to moan about or have a dig at.

Re Cash though I thought he was alright on Saturday. I do think we need to upgrade him long term, but he was quite versatile at Forest from memory and I'd always have somebody who can graft and show a bit of dynamism around the squad. I think he'll still be here come September, just maybe not our first choice RB  

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Link/quote?

I ain't that clever with that palaver. I think it was Birmingham Live article. I found it on the Villanewsnow website. Hope that's helpful. 

Just looked at an above post and seen that someone has sent the link. All good. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2023 at 09:17, DJBOB said:

I just don't know if he has place in Unai's system aside from the occasional away rearguard substitution. I think at his 'best' he was a quasi wingback in Gerrard's system so unless Unai occasionally inverts his whole system (we currently favor an attacking LB and the RB to be inverted to form a back 3) - just substitutions and rotating with 41 year old Ashley Young.

It's very easy to invert the system assuming that you have the right personnel to do it. Bailey and Buendia, if playing up front, can each play on either side. Move them over and push the other fullback forward.

And in a sense, this happened on Saturday. I wouldn't say it was the same system inverted because we showed more of a 4-3-3 in defence at times than the usual 4-4-2. But Moreno was pinned back dealing with Saka--something we probably expected in advance--and Cash seemed to roam forward more than Young has in recent weeks. I wonder if that's why he started instead of Young. (Aside from the fact that Young made two big mistakes against City and needed a rest.)

Â