Matty Cash

paul514

I can't see him being here beyond the summer, especially if a team who can pay a decent enough fee comes in for him. 

He's just not good enough attacking wise in a system where all width is provided by the full backs. 

We'll get our fee and reinvest it in a more attack capable rightback. 

3 hours ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

His control again today was horrible. The amount of times his first touch drops behind him is staggering. 

He played one season in the Championship as a RB before he came to us and it shows. I’d rather Guilbert or Kesler over him.

There are only three certainties in life: death, taxes…and Matty cash struggling to get the ball out of his feet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The system makes him a poor winger when he’s really a good fullback. I wouldn’t mind if he concentrated on defending again, but we already know the system comes first so that won’t happen.

And yes, his crossing really is painful. Wonder what he’s thinking after smashing it up in the stands again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

And yes, his crossing really is painful. Wonder what he’s thinking after smashing it up in the stands again.

Probably the only place Watkins can get on the end of a pass 😛 

5 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

Have you seen his post match interview on Villa TV? Guess it was right after the game but absolutely zero insight into what went wrong. Clueless is the word I would use.

wouldnt read too much in to that tbh, they had prob had a total roasting in the dressing room, and they were all probably realising that rather than getting a Daddy Smith Hug, they will all be getting a Gerrard Hulk Smash.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The system makes him a poor winger when he’s really a good fullback. I wouldn’t mind if he concentrated on defending again, but we already know the system comes first so that won’t happen.

That comment would be equally at home in the Matt Targett thread. 

On 14/02/2022 at 21:26, Rossco76 said:

Have you seen his post match interview on Villa TV? Guess it was right after the game but absolutely zero insight into what went wrong. Clueless is the word I would use.

Just watched it. He twice said that this is a tough place to come! WTF! They had only won twice all season before we rolled over. Sorry Matty but if you think that’s a tough place to go then you must be terrified of going anywhere. Ridiculous comment. 

He hasn't got the quality unfortunately. Neither has Cesar Azpilicueta, and he's had a hell of a career at a top club.

We need to play to Cash's strengths and simply cannot rely on him as one of our main attacking outlets. If Gerrard does want our RB to be one of our main attacking outlets, then we need a new one. Simple as that.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Several times against Newcastle his teammates got him into a position where he was running into the corner of the box with only 1 defender ahead of him, and every time he lost the ball or scuffed the cross. Gotta be better than that at this level.

He had their full back completely isolated on 3 or 4 occasions driving at the corner of the box, but he never seems to have complete control of the ball or necessarily know what hes going to do with it. Such threatening positions too it's a shame.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2022 at 18:43, MaVilla said:

Cash isnt a bad player, i have no doubt he is a very good defender, and i specifically mean that....a good defender.

he is really poor going forward though, and that is highlighted massively with the way Gerrard wants him to play.

I have no doubt that in a team where most of his work is defensive, chasing players down, closing space, protecting the right side, he will do brilliantly, as he has mostly done for us.

However, going forward, its not good, attacking play breaks down with him so many times when he is up the pitch.

For that reason, i dont see him being our number one right back next season, we need someone like Digne on the right, someone comfortable on the ball.

Kesler-Hayden would seem to have all the attributes Gerrard requires, but probably not ready yet to step up.

I think he may be our RB within a couple of seasons.

Â