Matty Cash

paul514

Good again today and against Forest's best player: Hudson-Odoi. He's good as a right back - his only issues this season, for mine, was when he was deployed further up the pitch. That's an experiment we don't need to see again.

And yes, made a mistake dropping from the defensive line when we conceded the 2nd. He needs to work on that.

16 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

There's a role for him in the squad but in the grand scheme of things he's a Tier 3 right back.

Nothing to be ashamed of and he's an advantage in certain games, but he's not a 10/10 in attack OR defence so that's an opportunity to improve the team.

Who could we buy that does that though?

Frimpong I'm sure looks good in highlights but if you watched Leverkusen every week I'm sure he'd be caught out positionally at times.

I do think people are getting a bit carried away with what we'd sign at RB, I'd be happy with an experienced Moreno/Digne type coming in.

Much better in the 3rd CB role. But also versatile enough to push forward as an extra attacker like for the 2nd goal. 

Hopefully this will stop the Cash hybrid wingback experiment and go back to playing RB. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I've got to be honest I don't think he has done a lot wrong all season. I know some question whether he is good enough for a side challenging for top 6/top 4 but as things stand now after 26 league games he has 23 appearances (19 starts) and has held his own whilst we have been top 4 for much of the season. 

He's fine as long as we have Pau to handle the progressive passing from the back line. Then Cash gets to do what he does best, running the wing and getting into advanced positions when the opportunity exist. 

Without Pau his inability to play a forward pass gets found out and our overall play suffers. 

As I was explaining to a Liverpool fan mate of mine recently, he's both the obvious weakest link in our current first team - and at the same time probably our best right back since the early eighties or before.

• Like 3

On 25/02/2024 at 11:09, Sulberto21 said:

Actually I wouldn’t put that goal 100% on Cash because Chambers stepped up way too late whereas Cash didn’t step up at all. Moreno and lenglet were already up. If Chambers stays in his position and the goal doesn’t occur.

However as Cash didn’t step up at all then he probably should have been round to cover. 

The lack of organisation can be blameed on the lack of Pau. What goes unseen in his performances, along with the obvious amazing progression, is that he gets the whole backline in the right positions.

Losing him meant we had an untried and untested combination, which was always going to have a slip up. I don't think much blame lies with either player for a change. Maybe more so with Lenglet who should have taken over Pau's organisation role. 

The nature of our high risk system is that its not easy to get right, so not having practiced it in a game is going to bring about some errors. 

But during a game we're winning comfortably is a much better time to learn that lesson and hopefully will mean they don't do it again when they get forced on the pitch together at short notice next time.

Cash had a good game, despite his slight contribution to their goal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

As I was explaining to a Liverpool fan mate of mine recently, he's both the obvious weakest link in our current first team - and at the same time probably our best right back since the early eighties or before.

Alan Hutton - Page 388 - Other Football - VillaTalk

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

The issue is we want a RCB defender in RB or an attacking Wing Back where the CDM drops in to cover RCB. 

We don't want an all rounder RB like you would want in most teams. Cash is too much of a classic all round good RB. 

Moment before the third goal where Watkins told Cash that he wanted the ball more often on the floor, rather than high balls going into the channel. Made me think that Cash has two approaches he takes more often than not: 1. goes for a dinked ball over the top. 2. Feigns to go forward but sweeps the ball back. 

I know the latter is a product of a system that attempts to keep possession, but I wonder if he’s being told to keep things simple as he tends to be a bit loose with the ball when given more freedom?  

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Captain vs Spurs just to see their faces…?

He will be leaving the station in an ambulance apparently 🤣 honest some of the comments I have seen on FB groups from Spurs fans. 

Yeah go for it, snap Cash in half, Romaro gets a red and you play with 10 men 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Need Cash to score the match winner in the 99' and do the Adebayor celebration to the Spurs away section.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another good run out for Cash and a key clearance off the line that could’ve ruined the night. 

Like that Unai plays him as the 3rd CB but with much more license to go forward. 

Also think he’s been much better checking his run so he’s not sitting on top of Bailey. Sometimes he gives an underlap but a lot of the times he checks it early and gives a recycle option. 

• Like 2

Â