Saïd Benrahma

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Currently the team picks it self. Only decision Smith has to make at the moment is Trez or Traoré. We need more quality in the squad but I agree with others that any big signings will be for next summer.

Exactly, which is why Benrahma makes little sense. We're well short in defence and striker. Why spend a big wedge on the only position where we DO currently have a choice. 

24 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Jack showed against Wales that he can really just move around the front 3 whenever he wants to. Him, Benrahma and Watkins would be mental as a front 3, but just can't see it happening sadly.

Any top attacking player should be able to really. Yes they will always have a preference but switching sides now and then shouldn’t be that much of a big deal.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Jack showed against Wales that he can really just move around the front 3 whenever he wants to. Him, Benrahma and Watkins would be mental as a front 3, but just can't see it happening sadly.

Good point,

It's actually Trez most likely to give way in a scenario like this.

Didn't Jacks assist for England come from the right? Or was it flipped image from pirate video?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Didn't Jacks assist for England come from the right? Or was it flipped image from pirate video?

Yes he did. Spent 20 mins camped on the left, waiting as instructed for a pass that never came. Chased off to the right, got the ball and made the goal - Southgate was probably screwing inside. 

Really don’t mind about Benrahma at this point, but he is class and would give us more options.

Would also be quite a statement to other teams, casually dropping £30M on a nice-to-have player in the last few days of the window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah I know. Who says we can't though?

Another point, our owners might feel more encouraged to spend after the start we've had. Fix the roof while the suns shining etc.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't rule it out. Especially if El Ghazi leaves or whatever.

And for those saying why would you buy him to sit on the bench. Why would that be a certainty? I'd expect Benrahma to fancy his chances of dislodging Trezeguet or Traore. And vice versa 

Sorry just seems totally unrealistic to me.

• Like 2

The only way I can see this working is.

1. Benrahma is a starter, trez (wrongly IMO with current form) gets put down the pecking order. 

2. Traore has been bought in as CF cover but can also play out wide. (If this was the case, Davis would be loaned out when Wes returns)

I’m probably chatting bull but can anyone else see the logic in the above?

• Like 1

Just now, Thug said:

Sadly, I agree with this. 

We currently have a £17m new signing waiting to get into the team

I don't disagree BUT this is probably the major area that you would look to use your bench for/make changes to impact a game.  Also, Jack (or possibly Benrhama), for me, is the cover for Barkley if he gets injured/misses a game.  So if we did have Benrhama, then we would have 5 players (assuming AEG moves on ... please) for three positions - 7, 11 & 10.

I don’t think it will happen but if did maybe it’s because the club are thinking beyond this season and do not want him to end up at a Premier League rival.  With the amount of attacking players West Ham have he probably has more chance of featuring for us than them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't disagree BUT this is probably the major area that you would look to use your bench for/make changes to impact a game.  Also, Jack (or possibly Benrhama), for me, is the cover for Barkley if he gets injured/misses a game.  So if we did have Benrhama, then we would have 5 players (assuming AEG moves on ... please) for three positions - 7, 11 & 10.

Spot on. It’s pretty much the sub that is made nearly every game for most teams. The wide players in a 433 are the game changers. You need 4 of them.

13 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

It is 12 weeks until the window opens again and until we are likely to have Wesley back. While we could do with another option it really isn't that pressing at this moment.

I'd love another forward to come in but I just don't think this is realistic at all.

would love to be wrong but just don't see it.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It is 12 weeks until the window opens again and until we are likely to have Wesley back. While we could do with another option it really isn't that pressing at this moment.

I'd love another forward to come in but I just don't think this is realistic at all.

would love to be wrong but just don't see it.

Why unrealistic? I mean, I accept it might not happen, but didn't Smith say he wanted a forward? Barkley isn't a forward so that still hasn't happened.

Anyway. We'll see what happens I guess. I'm fairly relaxed either way.

Maybe we decided against it because of the Rashica interest. Then once that all went to shit we thought about Benrahma, and West Ham have forced our hand by moving for him now. He could have been a Jan target, but might not be available then given what's happening now with other interested parties.

Totally speculating, but I guess things change and nobody really knows what is going on at the club. Well, other than the fact that it seems to now be run by people who know what they're doing, and actually have the club's interest at heart.

I'm delighted with this window whatever happens.

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well.... lots of reasons to be honest

1. Jim White claimed two weeks ago that Purslow had told him we were done

2. Smith has said on a number of occasions we can't stock pile players

3. Moves to shift surplus players before the deadline didn't happen

4. I can't see Championship sides coming in for any of our fringe players in the next few days

5. We could have bought Benrahma last summer, he has been available all this summer but we've seemingly not moved for him. Why wait until now?

6. We've spent circa £80m this window, it seems Benrahma is going to cost in the region of £25m-£30m. On top of the £140m last summer, money in Jan, money this window and what we've spent on youth additions I can't see them spending more.

7. At that sort of price he would be our 2nd highest costing player behind Watkins and yet we don't have an obvious space in the team for him

8. If Benhrama was seen as a key signing we would likely have got him by now based on our other activity 

9. Purslow has talked about the limitations on wage bill at this stage of our return to the PL

10. Leaving deals late doesn't really seem to be our style

11. I have a feeling any interest we had in him may have been as a potential replacement for Jack

Our owners have been incredible but there have to be limits even for them, so for that reason, the reason above and more I just don't see it happening.

Which probably means he will sign tomorrow! :)

(PS - sorry for the bullet point answer, its late and I'm tired and it was easier than constructing a long answer to cover it all. I know bullet point answers can come across arsey but I'm just being a little lazy)

Well, it would have been nice if you'd actually used bullet points y'know.

• Like 1

Â