Saïd Benrahma

MaVilla

I’d be quite happy if we do somehow end up signing him. More quality in the squad is always welcome. Is he guaranteed to start? Of course not, not many are unless they’ve earned it. But he’d get plenty of opportunities and would surely make us stronger. See it as a like for like swap for El Ghazi. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Still isn't a good comparison.  Salah and Mane are both 28 so it makes sense to bring in an understudy.  Given the physical demands of liverpool's system you can't expect Salah and Mane to keep producing into their 30s.

Not even Liverpool would spend £40 million on a player then in the same window bring in a direct competitior for another £40 million. That would be an absolute waste and misappropriation of funds. 

But none of this is what @Kiwivillan said. He said paraphrasing 'teams don't spend £40m on backups. What PL team does that?'. In answer to his question, Liverpool do. A team he said, in that very post, don't. They paid £45m on a backup. Whatever mitigating circumstances are or reason behind it. For the right here and right now, Liverpool spent £45m on a backup.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Would you take him over traore/trez??

50/50 with traore. The issue is he doesn't seem to put that much effort in defensively which could screw us. But being able to bring a good attacking player off the bench will be key for us I think and having him could mean we can rest jack, Barkely and traore very easily and maybe even Mcginn but a midfield with both jack and barkley might be iffy. 

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

But none of this is what @Kiwivillan said. He said paraphrasing 'teams don't spend £40m on backups. What PL team does that?'. In answer to his question, Liverpool do. A team he said, in that very post, don't. They paid £45m on a backup. Whatever mitigating circumstances are or reason behind it. For the right here and right now, Liverpool spent £45m on a backup.

You could argue he is less of a backup and more of a super sub. He can cover all 3 positions which is invaluable in a top player 

Wouldn't take what Fourth Official says as much at all really. He said the other day that the Benrahma to West Ham thing wasn't true and that it was his agent putting it out, and then 2 days after he said Brentford and West Ham couldn't agree the deal. He also said that Aouar to Arsenal was done.

Mirror and Guardian are saying the West Ham deal fell through because Benrahma has fallen out with Brentford. His agents sound as bad as Benteke agent

Its obvious Benrahma is looking for a pay-off

We have form for buying from the Championship in the hope they are good enough to start. Konsa, Cash, Watkins are making it look like sensible business. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us try for another. El Ghazi isn't good enough, Jota moved on. There's room for a Benrahma.

Benrahma plays mainly on the left, right?

Our midfield is already set. Barkley, McGinn and Luiz so Jack isn't playing there.

Benrahma isn't taking Jack's position at LWF. No way.

If he were brought in to compete at RWF then what is the point with the Traore signing?

This signing would make little sense to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We have form for buying from the Championship in the hope they are good enough to start. Konsa, Cash, Watkins are making it look like sensible business. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us try for another. El Ghazi isn't good enough, Jota moved on. There's room for a Benrahma.

That's the thing for me, I don’t think there is. 

1) We got Jack on the left who in ways likes to hug the ball and playmake just like Benrahma. Except Jack is a much better player. 

2) To balance that we need a right winger with good work rate IMO. Trez offers it. Traore? Dunno. Benrahma. Nope. 

3) We aren't likely to spend that much money on a player that’s not a guaranteed starter. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Benrahma plays mainly on the left, right?

Our midfield is already set. Barkley, McGinn and Luiz so Jack isn't playing there.

Benrahma isn't taking Jack's position at LWF. No way.

If he were brought in to compete at RWF then what is the point with the Traore signing?

This signing would make little sense to me.

There's this thing called squad depth. What happens when Jack is injured? Or if Barkley is injured and we want to move Jack in the middle? Etc..

Yeah, I just think we won't spend that much money for a squad player, even a good one. Plus it's only 2.5 months until January, and that includes another international weekend break so, it's not too long either if we do need to add mid season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's the thing for me, I don’t think there is. 

1) We got Jack on the left who in ways likes to hug the ball and playmake just like Benrahma. Except Jack is a much better player. 

2) To balance that we need a right winger with good work rate IMO. Trez offers it. Traore? Dunno. Benrahma. Nope. 

3) We aren't likely to spend that much money on a player that’s not a guaranteed starter. 

Yeah I get what you're saying. I just dont think the club see it that way, nor should they. Competition for places is what big clubs do. It's how they get better. We're a big club. Do you think Solsksjaer worries about who misses out for Cavani? If he even gets in? Lampard has 6 or 7 players competing for 3 spots. It will be exactly what he wants.

**** it. Go get em and let them earn their place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's this thing called squad depth. What happens when Jack is injured? Or if Barkley is injured and we want to move Jack in the middle? Etc..

We have squad players that have signed contracts and are getting paid wages. Dean has said multiple times we're not stockpiling players. Just because some fans don't think players x y and z are good enough doesn't mean management feel the same. Over half the PL teams don't have "amazing" squad depth

Â