Saïd Benrahma

MaVilla

Just now, Mazrim said:

Yeah I get what you're saying. I just dont think the club see it that way, nor should they. Competition for places is what big clubs do. It's how they get better. We're a big club. Do you think Solsksjaer worries about who misses out for Cavani? If he even gets in? Lampard has 6 or 7 players competing for 3 spots. It will be exactly what he wants.

**** it. Go get em and let them earn their place.

FFP 

43 minutes ago, sne said:

Seems odd that we would have left it this late if we are actually interested. Can't see it but who knows.

Depends on how real the Rashica stuff was, if he was our first choice and we were waiting right up til deadline day then I can see why we would only have just got round to putting a bid in now for Benrahma or any other Championship player. It's probably all bollocks anyway.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

FFP 

What of it? Who knows where we are with it? We've a load more income and I reckon there's more leeway yet.

Squad size is a limitation, I doubt money is.

I bet 10 english pounds that we wont sign Benrahma. (if i lose i will give £10 to VT).

we have grealish, traore and trez vying for 2 spots, plus ghazi hanging around, unless we get rid of one of them i just cant see us investing 30m on a player who might not start, i wouldnt be unhappy if we did and can afford it, but i just cant see us spending 30m on benrahma when we could spend 30m more wisely elsewhere in the squad at this time.

For example, if we did have 30m left to spend, i think its more critical we get a striker who can play anywhere across the front, or a LB, or a CB, maybe even a midfielder to challenge, i just feel we could spend 30m on the team more wisely right now. (if we managed to get rid of ghazi tho......might make it worth while)

• Like 2

Benrahma can play on both the left and the right, if you watch Brentford even when he's playing left wing you'll seem drift over to the right hand side.

Can't see us being interested in him though, we already have El Ghazi, Grealish, Trezeguet and Traore as wingers, the latter two have both looked good on the right this season, and no one is taking Grealish's place on the left, if he gets injured one of Trezeguet or El Ghazi can come in for him, or even Watkins if it came to it.

In terms of numbers we don't really need a winger at all, unless El Ghazi is leaving, but that would seem unlikely given that his only real choice would a championship club, and  he supposedly asked Mendes to find him a new club in the event of us going down.

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's this thing called squad depth. What happens when Jack is injured? Or if Barkley is injured and we want to move Jack in the middle? Etc..

Signing 30 mill players to sit on the bench?

That's utter madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah I get what you're saying. I just dont think the club see it that way, nor should they. Competition for places is what big clubs do. It's how they get better. We're a big club. Do you think Solsksjaer worries about who misses out for Cavani? If he even gets in? Lampard has 6 or 7 players competing for 3 spots. It will be exactly what he wants.

**** it. Go get em and let them earn their place.

We just aren’t there yet that we can spunk £ 30 million on bench players. We can't expect everything in a couple of summers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's this thing called squad depth. What happens when Jack is injured? Or if Barkley is injured and we want to move Jack in the middle? Etc..

We aren’t about to spend north of £25m on a player to give us depth in the squad.

11 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

What of it? Who knows where we are with it? We've a load more income and I reckon there's more leeway yet.

Squad size is a limitation, I doubt money is.

There is a significant difference between having money and being able to spend that money, we have plenty but can only spend so much.

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Over half the PL teams don't have "amazing" squad depth

That’s true, and we’re aiming to finish above them. If Deano wants him then that’s good enough for me, his other picks seem to be working out well enough. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We aren’t about to spend north of £25m on a player to give us depth in the squad.

yeah, the way we need to improve squad depth, is by buying new first team players to improve the first 11, thus moving the old first teamer to the squad and improving the squad, we shouldnt be buying squad players directly right now, we need to improve the first 11 at any opportunity we can.

• Like 1

It's all a bit messy. I guess if, and it's a big if, we genuinely wanted Rashica we might have just decided to move on. Hopefully if we did want him we've told Werder Bremen to **** off.

This would leave Benrahma as an option that Smith knows and, although not ideal in terms of timing, now could be the only time we can realistically sign him.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Currently the team picks it self. Only decision Smith has to make at the moment is Trez or Traoré. We need more quality in the squad but I agree with others that any big signings will be for next summer.

I think it's a very easy decision.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Makes perfect sense. We aren't desperate, so wait and see if the player, agent and selling club start to get twitchy toward the end of the window. Buyer's market, here. 

Yes, and after the saga with Ollie we may not have wanted weeks of window left in which to get mucked about by Brentford again. 

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There is a significant difference between having money and being able to spend that money, we have plenty but can only spend so much.

Yeah I know. Who says we can't though?

Another point, our owners might feel more encouraged to spend after the start we've had. Fix the roof while the suns shining etc.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't rule it out. Especially if El Ghazi leaves or whatever.

And for those saying why would you buy him to sit on the bench. Why would that be a certainty? I'd expect Benrahma to fancy his chances of dislodging Trezeguet or Traore. And vice versa 

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah I know. Who says we can't though?

Another point, our owners might feel more encouraged to spend after the start we've had. Fix the roof while the suns shining etc.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't rule it out. Especially if El Ghazi leaves or whatever.

And for those saying why would you buy him to sit on the bench. Why would that be a certainty? I'd expect Benrahma to fancy his chances of dislodging Trezeguet or Traore. And vice versa 

Said plays on the left not the right, his 30m butt would be sat on the bench waiting for Jack to injure himself.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Â