Craig Shakespeare - Assistant Head Coach

PieFacE

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's a DLP, which occupies the same space as the DM but is not exactly the same role. 

Football has moved on a lot in terms of roles now. 

Semantics - a DLP is a type of DM, and Dougie still has ball winning responsibilities anyway. The point is Smith has often played 4-1-4-1 with players like Dougie, Nakamba, Whelan, Hourihane, Jedinak as the holding mid, and would I'm sure happily include a player like Ndidi in a starting 11 if he had him available. Sure Dougie is more technical like a Pirlo/Alonso type, but the idea Smith "doesn't play DMs" is wrong IMO.

2 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Why did we even get him in

Supposed to be rated. But if the Leicester story was all true, should never had had him here in the first place.

Was the demise of Ranieri, now the demise of Smith, well done Shaky, well done.

35 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

At least if that’s true can’t do what he did at Leicester again

what win 6 out of 6 games? We have been crap this season, but Shakepeare was a key part of what made us good last season. Can't say I'm overly fussed he's gone but crazy comments like this don't reflect reality.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if he has gone, hopefully that will be the end to our punt ball tactics.

Given he came in start of last season and we started that season playing some really good football I don't think he's the main culprit of that, I'd be firmly looking at Austin McPhee given the long throws he's inflicted on us and how vocal he is on the touchline.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Supposed to be rated. But if the Leicester story was all true, should never had had him here in the first place.

Do you have any reason for believing this?

45 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Link to this story please? 

I find it amazing that so many seem so knowledgeable about Shakespear’s coaching ability and personality and how we are only now hearing they were problematic.

By pretty much all reputable opinions he is a very good coach. His arrival at Villa was last summer not this and he was part of the dramatic improvement in our performances in the first part of last season.

I find it baffling that some seek to point the finger at him now, perhaps it makes accepting the news on Smith easier I don’t know. It is though ridiculous and totally unwarranted.

This season is down to poor recruitment and ultimately Smith’s shortcomings. Shakespear isn’t the cause and neither is he a different coach to he was last season.

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I find it amazing that so many seem so knowledgeable about Shakespear’s coaching ability and personality and how we are only now hearing they were problematic.

By pretty much all reputable opinions he is a very good coach. His arrival at Villa was last summer not this and he was part of the dramatic improvement in our performances in the first part of last season.

I find it baffling that some seek to point the finger at him now, perhaps it makes accepting the news on Smith easier I don’t know. It is though ridiculous and totally unwarranted.

This season is down to poor recruitment and ultimately Smith’s shortcomings. Shakespear isn’t the cause and neither is he a different coach to he was last season.

The same goes for absolving him of any responsibility and putting it all on smith and recruitment.

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The same goes for absolving him of any responsibility and putting it all on smith and recruitment.

No, not the same. I’m not absolving him of blame for our season but according to some he and other coaches are responsible for coming in and wrecking it all which is just a bit daft.

• Like 1

Â